This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things you have mispronounced.

124»

Comments

• I wear it for a memorable honour: For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.
    That's alright, I don't think that it's your fault that half the places in wales seem to be named like an alphabetti spagetti truck hitting a brick wall.
  • edited November 2009
    When I was in college, I took a course on Second Generation English Romantic Poets. When we were studying Byron, the professor assigned Don Juan, although he pronounced it "Don Joo-wan". I thought, "Heh, this geezer doesn't know how to pronounce "Don JHwaHn". As I was reading the poem, I saw that he was right.

It was one of those instances when someone overly proud of themselves for being a smart young person is proven wrong by an older person with more experience.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I remember having to do a presentation on Potassium.

I used to say "Poh-taa-shum", because I was so used to my mom's thick accent.
  • Azure. Me: Ah-zuur-ay. And this was in high school. >_> How was I supposed to know? No one ever says that word out loud!

As for Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, I visited it once! The town's name is its only real claim to fame, and part of its gimmick is to have guides pronounce the name for tourists. (Check out its wikipedia page to hear it spoken.) The name actually means "St Mary's Church of a hollow of white hazel near the swirling whirlpool of the church of St Tysilio with a red cave." The highway signs usually just abbreviate it as "Llanfair P.G."
  • It took me a lot of practice to properly pronouce Cymru - which gave my welsh housemate a few laughs, because we'd talk about rugby quite often to begin with, and he used to play for them, it was spoken quite a bit, and I was constantly mispronouncing it.

Took the laughing sod about 2 weeks to correct me on it, though, cheeky bastard.
  • Here's the name of the twin bridges in Albany:
    Thaddeus Kosciusko

Kosciusko? Try reading that while driving by the sign at 60 miles per hour.
  • Kosciusko? Try reading that while driving by the sign at 60 miles per hour.
    Piece of piss, it's just like Mount Kosciusko. Koh-zee-os-Ko.
  • I think we can also open this thread to things people constantly misspell. I can basically never spell "sorcerer" or "apocalypse" correctly without spell checking.
  • edited November 2009
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    I also have trouble with this: I keep saying wagh'nagl instead of wgah'nagl.

I've been spending too much time hanging around Orks, I guess.
    Post edited by Frank on
  • fajita - I like to say it with a hard J, it amuses me for some reason.
    I also can't pronounce that damn danish "d", despite it being in my name.
    I also can't pronounce that damn danish "d", despite it being in my name.
    Fajita! What does the scouter say about his power level?
  • Kosciusko? Try reading that while driving by the sign at 60 miles per hour.
    ChurbaPiece of piss, it's just like Mount Kosciusko. Koh-zee-os-Ko.
    Nope! You're forgetting American bastardization pronunciation. It's kos-ke-use-ko here.
  • Nope! You're forgetting American bastardization pronunciation. It's kos-ke-use-ko here.
    How do you feel about that? Is it "correct" to pronounce it incorrectly with regards to the original language, if that's how everyone pronounces it? There's a street in my town called Badillo, which, being a Spanish name, ought to be pronounced "buh-thee-o", but everyone pronounces it "buh-dill-o". Sometimes, someone says it buh-thee-o, and it comes off kinda douchey, in my opinion. I know it's buh-thee-o, but this street is buh-dill-o.
  • How do you feel about that? Is it "correct" to pronounce it incorrectly with regards to the original language, if that's how everyone pronounces it? There's a street in my town called Badillo, which, being a Spanish name, ought to be pronounced "buh-thee-o", but everyone pronounces it "buh-dill-o". Sometimes, someone says it buh-thee-o, and it comes off kinda douchey, in my opinion. I know it's buh-thee-o, but this street is buh-dill-o.
    Is this the way to Armadillo?
  • Is this the way to Armadillo?
    Kind of? Maybe. You'd probably have to ask some Texans about that.
    Fajita! What does the scouter say about his power level?
    :) exactly!
    Is this the way to Armadillo?
    Kind of? Maybe. You'd probably have to ask some Texans about that.
    Yes? If you're getting at that it's pronounced arma-dill-o, and was likely named by a Spaniard who would say arma-thee-o.
  • It's one of those American/British differences but I'm never sure of the correct pronunciation of "schedule".
  • edited December 2009
    Yes? If you're getting at that it's pronounced arma-dill-o, and was likely named by a Spaniard who would say arma-thee-o.
    No, I'm just making a joke about the song "Is this the way to Amarillo?" because it's one of the most misheard lyrics of all time, and an example of people quite happily going along with something wrong because they don't know any better.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Because I live in Connecticut, a lot of people there (myself included) have a tendency to not pronounce hard "t's" at the end of words like walnut or hit. Is this accent a Connecticut thing, or does it happen elsewhere?
  • Living in CT and doing the same thing, I can confirm that it exists in Connecticut. I'm pretty sure it's a New England thing.
  • edited January 2010
    Because I live in Connecticut, a lot of people there (myself included) have a tendency to not pronounce hard "t's" at the end of words like walnut or hit. Is this accent a Connecticut thing, or does it happen elsewhere?
    I drop the ends of a lot of words, being from queensland, and even more since living in Yorkshire, since it slots so well into my existing accent - I've even started dropping the "he" out of "The" more often than is reasonable. (For example, "Y' goin' t' pub?")
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Norepinephrine: A nurotransmitter associated with mood stabalization. Me: nor-prine-FINE Real: nor-eh-pin-efrin
  • I can't get out of the habit of saying "per-cinnamon" as opposed to "per-simmon"
  • Norepinephrine: A nurotransmitter associated with mood stabalization. Me: nor-prine-FINE Real: nor-eh-pin-efrin
    Biologist?
    Biologist?
    AP Psychology
  • I once called a "vernal equinox" a "venereal equinox" in front of my entire Japanese class. Good times, man.
  • I once called a "vernal equinox" a "venereal equinox" in front of my entire Japanese class. Good times, man.
    As hilarious as that is, it still doesn't beat passing pterodactyl.
  • Arkansas instead of Are-Can-Saw I've always pronounced it Are-Can-Sas.
  • Arkansas instead of Are-Can-Saw I've always pronounced it Are-Can-Sas.
    Ditto.