This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things you have mispronounced.

Comments

• "Busket" is also one of my favorite intentional mispronunciations.
  • My family lives in a town called Gloucester. When we first moved there it took me a while to get used to the fact that it is pronounced like "gloss-ter".
  • edited November 2009
    My family lives in a town called Gloucester. When we first moved there it took me a while to get used to the fact that it is pronounced like "gloss-ter".
    Ditto that for "York-Sher" rather than "York-shire" for me.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • My family lives in a town called Gloucester. When we first moved there it took me a while to get used to the fact that it is pronounced like "gloss-ter".
    When we were reading King Lear in class I had that problem too.
    When we were reading King Lear in class I had that problem too.
    I guess it was lucky for me since I watched Monty Python and I learned the pronunciation that way.
  • Aluminium, that word is so hard to say, I always used to say Alumimium, very embarrassing in higher chemistry
  • It took me bloody forever to be able to pronounce "Worcestershire" properly. Gotta love that sauce, though!

I'm right up there with people who get peeved over screwing up pronunciations. Where I live isn't that far from the boonies and we get a lot of cruddy diction and pronunciation around here. E.g., "warsh" for "wash", "crawn" for "crayon", "crick" for "creek". Drives me up the flipping wall.
  • I had what is probably both directions of the problem with the word quiche.

Having only heard it spoken before I was 7ish, I thought it was spelled 'Keish', similar in structure to Keith. Then I discovered Bloom County, and saw the printed word 'quiche'. Immediately, I thought: "What's this kwi-SHAY stuff?"

It wasn't until I was 11ish that I finally connected the two.
  • I would often mispronounce Lebanese as lesbian when I was young. That was back before I knew what it meant.

I wonder what my dad thought when I asked to go eat lesbian food.
  • edited November 2009
    I wonder what my dad thought when I asked to go eat lesbian food.
    He thought that you wanted to go shopping at Whole Foods.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Whole Foods.
    Whole foods is lesbian food? Color me rainbow, then, because I always ate dumplings at the one around the corner when I lived in Union Square.
  • edited November 2009
    Whole Foods.
    Whole foods is lesbian food? Color me rainbow, then, because I always ate dumplings at the one around the corner when I lived in Union Square.
    Sigh. I knew this would happen.

Don't analyze it too seriously. It's not meant to be serious.

I'm not attempting to make any serious connection between Whole Foods and lesbians.

Substitute "Trader Joe's" if you like.

I was trying to make a joke. Laugh or don't laugh, tell me it offends you if you are easily offended, but please just try and realize that I was trying to make a joke. Sheesh.
  • Oh yes Joe, I am SO ANGRY! GRRR! (>_<)

I thought I maybe just didn't get the joke because there was some in-joke I didn't know about.
    Or was it just random? Whatever.
  • edited November 2009
    Oh yes Joe, I am SO ANGRY! GRRR! (>_<)</p>
    I'm angry TOO! RAAAHHHRR! (>_<) (and I usually don't use these things. That's an indication of my thunderous rage.) Why is it so hard to make a joke around here?
  • Écoute, HJ, dem femmes dôn unnerstan' you, likes I's unnerstan' you. I'll take me a joke from Joe over dis weak roux dey seem to t'row aroun' any day.
    Cher, you keep makin' dem jokes an' I keep laughin' at dem. Dôn be so coo-yôn as to let dem stop you, Sug.
  • Where you get dose diacrit' marks, fille?
  • Joe, you've created a monster.
    I don type dem out in Word and den copy an' paste dem to da forum, cher.
  • edited November 2009
    Where you get dose diacrit' marks, fille?
    I don type dem out in Word and den copy an' paste dem to da forum, cher.
    Regardez de gros brain on ma petit fille! Vous êtes très intelligents, bebe. Mas oui.
  • No, vous avez le grand cerveau. I's jus a peeshwank comparé with vous. J'aime votre temporal lobe, mon petite.
  • Come, we entrons dans le marais. Once we in de swamp, dey neber gon see us agin. AAIIIEEEEEE!
    She knows how to use her keyboard. It's not that hard to type such either, just have your keyboard layout set to the only sensible one, US International, and the either dead keys or not. Without them, just type ^+e for ê, with dead keys, use Alt-Gr (right alt) instead of Shift to select ^, grave accent is left of the '1', and acute accent is just your regular apostrophe. You could also just try to learn the few locations on your dead keyboard for some of them like é under Alt-Gr+e.

Also, stop typing as an illiterate Frenchie living in the USA, you know you're not allowed to have fun.
  • This has gone from "words you mispronounced" to "words you can't read". ;)
    edited November 2009
    This has gone from "words you mispronounced" to "words you can't read". ;)
    Let us continue on that track whilst still taking the same train. I have forever failed to pronounce, and read, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch. Crazy Welsh.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    Actually, I would love to have an H.P. Lovecraft pronunciation guide.
  • Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.
    I belive it's translates to "Look at this welsh gibberish."
    I belive it's translates to "Look at this welsh gibberish."
    I wear it for a memorable honour: For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.
  • Cement. See-ment.