This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Watched Safe yesterday. Not the best Jason Statham movie, but always enjoyable to watch him fuck shit up. I want to say it definitely had a higher body count than his other movies.

Also: that last fight sequence. Did not expect that.
  • Dude, I never realized what a fantastic movie Independence Day was.
    Independence Day has been, and forever will be the shit.

• Oh god, I just caught the last half hour of The Day After Tomorrow on TV. Holy shit, I forgot how fucking awful that film is.
  • Saw The Raid last night. Wowee Zowee it was good!*

*Although not the best action movie since Die Hard, as my friend suggested.
  • Saw the old Captain Horatio Hornblower movie from 1951 staring Gregory Peck over the weekend. An excellent Napoleonic naval flick with some really good battles and special effects, especially for 1951. Oh, and Gregory Peck is one of my favorite actors from that era.
  • Saw the old Captain Horatio Hornblower movie from 1951 staring Gregory Peck over the weekend. An excellent Napoleonic naval flick with some really good battles and special effects, especially for 1951. Oh, and Gregory Peck is one of my favorite actors from that era.
    Do yourself a favor and next see him in the more unchecked and brilliantly performed role of Captain Ahab in John Huston's "Moby Dick". This way you, you will get to witness the full cycle of his maritime/nautical/seafaring/naval acting roles.

Do yourself a favor and next see him in the more unchecked and brilliantly performed role of Captain Ahab in John Huston's "Moby Dick". This way you, you will get to witness the full cycle of his maritime/nautical/seafaring/naval acting roles.
    That's actually been on my list for a while, especially since the movie premiered in what's essentially my home town of New Bedford, MA. Hornblower was chosen this particular because it happened to show up on the Amazon Prime Instant free video list.
  • Watched and enjoyed the movie "Let the Bullets Fly". Nice to watch something unique.
  • Lyddi and I are going to go see this movie tomorrow. I'm pretty excited.

• I would love to see that movie but it's not playing anywhere near me :(
  • I watched Margin Call last night. It's really good! Somehow it made me feel more powerful emotional connections to a group of bloodsucking Wall Street bankers in the first five minutes than most movies accomplish in their entire running time.
  • I'm a bit confused about Banner saying his secret is that he's angry all the time. Does that mean that anger doesn't trigger the Hulk transformation in this film? Is there something hidden here I'm not getting? And why did Hulk go from raging mindless killer inside the helicarrier to sentient, in-control team member? There was no development in the interim.
    Film Critic Hulk discusses Mark Ruffalo's Hulk
    Maybe this will answer some of your questions.
    (Disclaimer: I haven't seen the movie, I just love Hulk's articles.)

• I am watching "The Fantastic Adventures of Unico" cuz he is just so darn cute! :D
  • I watched Howl's Moving Castle last night. I really loved it, up until the very end, where there is a twist with Turnip Head. WTF? Why the hell is that even in there? I was embarrassed for whoever thought that was a good idea.
  • edited May 2012
    The Raid was fucking incredible. I popped like 20 action movie boners and threw up a rainbow.

Also, Silat is probably the coolest martial art ever put on film.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2012
    Also, Silat is probably the coolest martial art ever put on film.
    I approve of this message.

Here's a clip or two for the rest of you -

Also, Watch Merantu, made by the same mob, the film that came before The Raid.

Post edited by Churba on
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2012
    Today I revisited my childhood by watching a movie I watched the hell out of as a kid but have not seen for as long as 10 years: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.
    Before watching, I was nervous that it wouldn't hold up at all; I was delighted to find that it did indeed hold up and it was an enjoyable, nostalgia bomb experience.
    Best scene: When Bill, Ted, Billy the Kid, and So-crates visit the future for a brief amount of time.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Drive is on Netflix.
  • Drive is on Netflix.
    Thank you. Watching right now.

• edited May 2012
    Gettysburg is a fantastic film. It's a shame Gods & Generals is complete shit.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Saw Men in Black 3 at midnight with friends. It passed muster.
    No shit?
    No shit?
    There was worrying beforehand that it would be terrible, and there's admittedly a character that I didn't like very much, but overall it was good. Especially the ending, albeit a bit contrived.

My only real complaint was that the main save-the-world conflict seemed too easy.
  • Michael Mann is a seriously underrated director. Also, I fucking love Heat.
  • Hopy fucking shit, I just watched Pink Flamingos. I haven't watched a movie that actually made me want to vomit before. Jesus Christ.
  • Hopy fucking shit, I just watched Pink Flamingos. I haven't watched a movie that actually made me want to vomit before. Jesus Christ.
    2deep4u

• edited May 2012
    Has anyone watched Drive? I just watched the SourceFed movie club review for it and it actually looks interesting to from the sound of how it handles dialog and the score. I am curious of the opinion of anyone else who has watched it, I will probably watch it later.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • The trailers for Drive make it look like either another Fast and the Furious movie or Transporter minus Jason Statham.

Do not trust the trailers. It's amazing, but I really don't want to tell you what it is actually about, because it's super spoilerish.
  • Just got back from seeing Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense in a theater. It was fantastic; this was the first time I've ever seen a UK band break into applause after a film, and I've seen both The Raid and The Avengers since I've been here.
  • edited May 2012
    Just got back from seeing Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense in a theater. It was fantastic; this was the first time I've ever seen a UK band break into applause after a film, and I've seen both The Raid and The Avengers since I've been here.
    I hate it when people applaud at a film no matter how good it is. Who are you applauding for? Nobody is there to hear you. Exceptions are at film festivals and screenings when the filmmakers are in attendance.
    Post edited by Apreche on