This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Can't really blame your parents. I was thoroughly horrified by Perfect Blue too.

On the topic of the off-topic, no, that hasn't happened to me, mainly because I have barely watched any movies with my parents.
  • Watched 2001: A Space Odyssey over the weekend with a few friends.

I love Kubrick, but yeah, that was hard to watch. I loved the visuals but three movies in one and the overbearing sound track made it just difficult to get through.

I have a feeling that someone out there has cut the film down to a more reasonable film.
    Influential movie blah blah, amazing symbolism blah blah, deep whatever blah blah
    THE SOUND MIXING IN THAT MOVIE DRIVES ME MAD.
  • Watched 2001: A Space Odyssey over the weekend with a few friends.

I love Kubrick, but yeah, that was hard to watch. I loved the visuals but three movies in one and the overbearing sound track made it just difficult to get through.

I have a feeling that someone out there has cut the film down to a more reasonable film.
    Influential movie blah blah, amazing symbolism blah blah, deep whatever blah blah
    THE SOUND MIXING IN THAT MOVIE DRIVES ME MAD.
    Why must guys continually lance my soul? :P

• My mom and I have watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall, 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, and 1 episode of Game of Thrones. The only thing she objected to in any of those situations was the violence of GoT. I guess my mom is cool in that regard?
  • Moneyball is not only a great movie, it is a standard bearer for the importance geeks because it champions the use of math and statistics over traditional scouting techniques and "gut instinct."
  • Saw The Candidate, I liked it.
  • Last night I went and saw Total Recall and The Watch. Recall was total shit. Really bad. The Watch was kinda fun. Not amazing or anything, but I would recommend it if you can see it for free or cheaply.
  • My mom and I have watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall, 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, and 1 episode of Game of Thrones. The only thing she objected to in any of those situations was the violence of GoT. I guess my mom is cool in that regard?
    My dad forced me to watch Animal House with him.
  • Saw the new Bourne movie. It was alright. It tied in with the last 2 Bourne movies of the original trilogy. I like how the story lines overlapped each other.

I didn't expect a lot of things that happened in the movie based on the trailer. The first part was a lot of buildup, which was fine. The second half had most of the action. I wish there were more hand to hand combat, especially the closed quarters kind. Instead we got a really awesome motorcycle chase scene in Manila.

As for trailers, finally saw the Judge Dredd remake with Karl Urban on it. When I saw the trailer, I go to my friend, "Wait, isn't this like The Raid?" He answers, "I was thinking the same exact thing." I haven't seen The Raid yet, but I plan to.

Also, on a stupid whim, I was wanting to see movies with Colin Farrell in it, so I started to watch Miami Vice. I never saw it and was a bit curious. BIG MISTAKE. I rarely never finish a movie, but this movie was so dull and confusing that I had to stop around an hour in. I was so angry.
  • As for trailers, finally saw the Judge Dredd remake with Karl Urban on it. When I saw the trailer, I go to my friend, "Wait, isn't this like The Raid?" He answers, "I was thinking the same exact thing." I haven't seen The Raid yet, but I plan to.
    It's like The Raid, just half as deadly and a quarter as brutal.
  • Going off Geo's thing, there are very few movies or shows that I've tried to get my parents to watch, since I know that most of the things I enjoy are things that they wouldn't. They're pretty conservative. The last few movies I've recommended to them are easy things like Tangled and How to Train Your Dragon.

But there is a movie that I really like that I don't show to anyone anymore due to several bad experiences: Oldboy. My college roommates banned me from recommending movies after that one.
  • Oldboy? Pffft. Whatever. Try some Ebola Syndrome and then call me.
  • Ebola Syndrome inferior, Visitor Q superior.
  • Oldboy? Pffft. Whatever. Try some Ebola Syndrome and then call me.
    If I had shown them Ebola Syndrome, they probably would've stopped talking to me altogether.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    My mom and I have watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall, 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, and 1 episode of Game of Thrones. The only thing she objected to in any of those situations was the violence of GoT. I guess my mom is cool in that regard?
    That sounds like one of the best nights in history. Whatchoo talkin' bout Greg?
    Ebola Syndrome inferior, Visitor Q superior.
    Oh my GAWD! That movie is dangerous. Takashi Miike at his absolute most disgusting. To anyone who interested, it's about as bad as A Serbian Film. There is necrophilia, poop, heroin junkiness, and the whole thing was done on DV Cam since Miike could not get funding. And the end somehow makes all the horrid disgustingness heartwarming...without changing how disgusting it was.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • As for trailers, finally saw the Judge Dredd remake with Karl Urban on it. When I saw the trailer, I go to my friend, "Wait, isn't this like The Raid?" He answers, "I was thinking the same exact thing." I haven't seen The Raid yet, but I plan to.
    It's like The Raid, just half as deadly and a quarter as brutal.
    Everything I've heard about Judge Dread is that it is brutally violent and relishes in it (which is basically what I want it to be).

• Yes, I do not have this problem as well. Plus surly Karl Urban. Yes. Also Cersei is the antagonist. We hopefully will see her eat bullets. Yes.

Oh yeah, it's Dredd 3D and not Judge Dredd.
  • On the subject of Perfect Blue: When I was in high school, one of my friends very Catholic mother went into her room and watched a bunch of her anime DVD's including that movie while my friend was away for the weekend. When my friend came back home, her mother made her go around and apologize officially to everyone she had ever lent/shown the movie to.
    Eh, tastes differ. Animal house is a classic, but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily up Greg's alley - it's been said, but it bears repeating, Quality and personal enjoyment are not necessarily the same thing.
  • I saw Moonrise Kingdom, one odd thing about the film is that they used a CGI fireball otherwise it is awesome.
    Eh, tastes differ. Animal house is a classic, but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily up Greg's alley - it's been said, but it bears repeating, Quality and personal enjoyment are not necessarily the same thing.
    I love Animal House. I hated watching it with my dad. So many hawkward moments.
    I love Animal House. I hated watching it with my dad. So many hawkward moments.
    Ah. I forget about that sometimes, because I don't have that problem with my old man, we just heckle during the awkward bits.
  • Saw The Campaign. It was alright. Some of the jokes worked and the actors really worked their asses off as their characters. (Props to Zach Galifianakis, Dylan McDermott and Jason Sudeikis)

However, I expected much better political satire. The jokes came down to "Americans will just cheer if you mention hard work, Christianity, and America is teh best country evur." Despite how easy it is to laugh at politics these days, there's more dimension than that. And the Eastbound and Down style did distract me at times, because there's real moments of whiplash and characters not dealing with real-life consequences.
  • I saw Moonrise Kingdom, one odd thing about the film is that they used a CGI fireball otherwise it is awesome.
    I can't, for the life of me, remember any fireball in that movie. Help!
  • Redbelt was a great movie and the combination of David Mamet and good action scenes was really enjoyable.
  • Redbelt was a great movie and the combination of David Mamet and good action scenes was really enjoyable.
    I love me some Mamet. The dialogue he writes keeps me on edge and I like it.

• I saw "In Time" last night. Justin Timberlake is a terrible actor. The heroine was pretty hot. The other "hot girls" in the movie seemed to have been deliberately selected from a list of 8's rather than 10's so as to not outshine her.

The whole movie is a fairly ham-fisted metaphor for wealth disparity and the fleecing of the lower and middle class by the plutocracy in the US, which was both groan inducing and slightly refreshing to see after so many movies celebrating capitalism and conspicuous consumption. Too bad it wasn't a more popular film. There's roughly 50% of the country that would do well to absorb its lesson, shallowly presented or not.
  • Saw Total Recall (remake) last night, visually I really enjoyed it though it had less mutants/one-liners/mystery/Arnold then the first one. Thought it was a decent Sci-fi/action film with storm trooper accuracy. I mean did they ever give those bots targeting programs?

I'm curious now to read the story to see which is closer.
  • Saw Total Recall (remake) last night, visually I really enjoyed it though it had less mutants/one-liners/mystery/Arnold then the first one. Thought it was a decent Sci-fi/action film with storm trooper accuracy. I mean did they ever give those bots targeting programs?

Dick was kind of a hack who got acclaim mostly because he was a pioneer and less for the quality of his stories or writing. "Do Androids Dream" is pretty good, but the rest... meh. It's valuable because it was first, which I guess means you should give it some leeway for being camp. He's no Bradbury.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    Saw Total Recall (remake) last night, visually I really enjoyed it though it had less mutants/one-liners/mystery/Arnold then the first one. Thought it was a decent Sci-fi/action film with storm trooper accuracy. I mean did they ever give those bots targeting programs?

Dick was kind of a hack who got acclaim mostly because he was a pioneer and less for the quality of his stories or writing. "Do Androids Dream" is pretty good, but the rest... meh. It's valuable because it was first, which I guess means you should give it some leeway for being camp. He's no Bradbury.
    Read "The Man in the High Castle" and see if your opinion changes. It's a truly great alternate history novel.

Post edited by Geo on