This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Here's the scene in question, if you've not seen the movie and you're wondering -

• edited September 2012
    Damn it now I have to watch the entire movie again.

EDIT : Jesus dick that face stomp always fucking gets me. That shit is absurd!
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • edited September 2012
    Just watched this last night. Jesus H. Christ where you guys not kidding about this. I thought I knew a fair bit about Martial Arts movies, they are sort of my thing but I was not ready for this one.

Edit: Also as soon as they guy did an ax kick in the meth lab scene I knew it was Tae Kwon Do. Not many other martial arts really utilize that kick
    Post edited by Jordan O. on
  • Here's the scene in question, if you've not seen the movie and you're wondering -
    Checked that scene out and I'm not sure if it was little less painful as I though it would be, just as painful as I though it would be or more painful. Still it was pretty damn painful. I don't think I've cringed that many times on scene that short before.
  • edited September 2012
    I thoroughly enjoy when the old dude picked up the chair and jacked the other guy with it. I was thinking in the beginning "old dude what are you doing pretending to fight with the young guys?" And then I was swiftly corrected. BT Dubs The Raid is totally going to be the first revision to my kung fu movie panel.
    Post edited by Jordan O. on
  • edited September 2012
    Checked that scene out and I'm not sure if it was little less painful as I though it would be, just as painful as I though it would be or more painful. Still it was pretty damn painful. I don't think I've cringed that many times on scene that short before.
    You think that's brutal? Check out the Hallway Fight.
    Just watched this last night. Jesus H. Christ where you guys not kidding about this. I thought I knew a fair bit about Martial Arts movies, they are sort of my thing but I was not ready for this one.
    That's Silat for you, dude. Well, alright, it's not quite as flashy in some bits, but it's reasonably true to form.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Saw 50/50 with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen last night. It was a surprisingly serious comedy, or a surprisingly funny drama, take your pick. Either way, it was really good and Gordon-Levitt is rapidly rising in my list of favorite actors. In terms of young actors, he's probably the best of his generation. I'm really looking forward to Looper.
  • Saw 50/50 with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen last night. It was a surprisingly serious comedy, or a surprisingly funny drama, take your pick. Either way, it was really good and Gordon-Levitt is rapidly rising in my list of favorite actors. In terms of young actors, he's probably the best of his generation. I'm really looking forward to Looper.
    Lets not forget Anna Kendrick, she is pretty much made of awesome:

Also, even though I dislike Glee with a passion I am ok with watching this:

• The Great Escape

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057115/

Spoiler: The title is true. It's a great escape, but not the greatest escape.
  • Wow, you've just now seen that film?
    Seeing as how far I am down the IMDB top 250 I am willing to bet that you are not justified in saying this to me. Let's go down the list and see what majorly important films you have never seen, shall we?

Sometime soon, almost no one will be able to accuse me of not having seen an important film.
  • Oh come on, IMDB top 250 isn't all the films of merit.
  • edited September 2012
    Sometime soon, almost no one will be able to accuse me of not having seen what IMDB considers an important film
    Also, What happens when the list changes? There are quite a few films I recall were not on the list last I looked at it. Does that mean people will be able to accuse you again, or is it just done?

I'm actually interested in the thought process there. I want to see where you're going with it.

Also, while I can't be bothered counting how many, I've seen a surprising amount of those films, easily more than half.
    Oh come on, IMDB top 250 isn't all the films of merit.
    I was just thinking that myself. I mean, it has no shortage of both high quality and important films, but a lot of it, not so much. I mean, for one example, Ratatouille is on the list, but not La Grande Illusion? Kill Bill, but not a trace of The Merry Widow, or The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari?

In the end, it's not the 250 best, or the 250 most influential, or 250 most important. It is what it is, and all that it is can be summed up as such: The 250 films that regular IMDB users like the most.
    Post edited by Churba on
    Seeing as how far I am down the IMDB top 250 I am willing to bet that you are not justified in saying this to me. Let's go down the list and see what majorly important films you have never seen, shall we?

Sometime soon, almost no one will be able to accuse me of not having seen an important film.
    Is Fitzcarraldo in the Top 250?

If not, j'accuse, monsieur.

• Oh come on, IMDB top 250 isn't all the films of merit.
    I'm not saying it is. I'm just saying that by this point I've seen a fuck ton of movies. Most of the ones I haven't seen that people come after me for are superhero movies and shit.

• Also, even though I dislike Glee with a passion I am ok with watching this:

How is that better? That to me, I'm calling, is going to be one of the worst films of the year. (Thankfully I called that with Branded and succeeded!)
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2012
    Beasts of the Southern Wild is truly something special and I neither cannot think of a single film to compare it to or put into words what makes this film as special as it is; unless you want to see me go into incomprehensible gibberish.

It is a very rare example of low fantasy executed incredibly well in the medium of film. If you see the trailer, you'll know whether or not this is a film for you (I say this because my dad, who I went to see it with, did not have a good time because it was way too different and way too indie than what he is used to). This is a film that none of you should miss as it is one of the most original things I've seen in a very long time and I salute the filmmaker for being as bold and daring as he was in meticulously crafting this work of art.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I really liked Super 8, and I have to say that it has one of, if not, the best train crash scenes I have seen.

I watched John Carter and the better version of John Carter(Planet Hulk). John Carter was rather meh but I thought Planet Hulk was okay. It was one of the better Marvel animated films, even if I still feel that most of the DC animated films are better. It was way more violent than I expected, I think more people were killed in that film than all the DC animated films I have seen combined.

A few weeks back I went home on lunch and walked in on a movie that the babysitter was letting my son watch which I could only describe at the time as an animated parody of the Avengers. After realizing it was Phineas and Ferb The Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension I decided to watch the movie and really liked it. I may have to check that series out.
  • The series is brilliant if you can get over the fact that every episode has the same basic plot structure.
  • edited September 2012
    The series is brilliant if you can get over the fact that every episode has the same basic plot structure.
    I think that part of the shows genius is in how they manage make something so good with so much repetition.

Also, on the topic of the thread. I saw The Avengers last night. I found it quite enjoyable. Liked the mid part most when it was mostly just about banter between the characters. I really liked this version of Bruce Banner. I remembered how people, when the movie came out, talked about how well the film handled the Hulk, but I didn't see it. Bruce Banner I liked, but Hulk was just what I would have expected out of Hulk. Big green thing that hit hard.
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • The series is brilliant if you can get over the fact that every episode has the same basic plot structure.
    I think that part of the shows genius is in how they manage make something so good with so much repetition.
    Exactly. You know what's going to happen, but that they can keep how it happens interesting is a testament to how good the writing staff is.
  • edited September 2012
    I watched The Raid last. Everyone says they winced their way through this movie, but none of the violence in the fight scenes bothered me. After studying martial arts for so long most of the brutality just makes sense. It was very refreshing, actually, to see people in a martial arts movie fight like they're actually trying to hurt each other.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited September 2012
    I watched The Raid last. Everyone says they winced their way through this movie, but none of the violence in the fight scenes bothered me. After studying martial arts for so long most of the brutality just makes sense. It was very refreshing, actually, to see people in a martial arts movie fight like they're actually trying to hurt each other.
    True that - Nobody in that movie set out to play slaps, someone takes a stance or they have that dramatic pause, you just know someone or multiple someones are going to just get fuckin' wrecked. In martial arts movies, when someone goes down, they don't try to get back up for convenience - In this one, it's because they've been stabbed in the goddamn throat/chest/everything.

Most martial arts movies, I find myself saying "Man, that looks super cool" or "Oh shit Jackie Chan what the fuck are you doing you can't fight people with a ladder oh I guess you can." During The Raid, my only three thoughts were "Shit, that guy is good", "Oh man, that other guy is fucked", and the odd couple of "Man, I wish my Silat was that good, that's something to aspire to."

Also, beware, super biased opinion incoming, but it's nice to see a martial arts movie with something other than just the usual Kung Fu/Karate/TKD/muai thai that's been the main-stay of martial arts films for years. I still love watching them, but variety is nice.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I would argue Muai Thai hasn't been around all that much. It was really only since Ong Bak that it really was set into prominence, and even then the Muai Thai used in those movies is pretty Hollywoodified. However I do agree with you otherwise.
  • Celeste & Jesse Forever was pretty bad
  • edited September 2012
    Beasts of the Southern Wild is truly something special and I neither cannot think of a single film to compare it to or put into words what makes this film as special as it is; unless you want to see me go into incomprehensible gibberish.
    My NYU pal Brendan Bellomo is the Senior Visual Effects Supervisor on that film. I still need to see it.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Silent Hill is probably the best video game movie I have seen in that it really captures the feeling of the games (it also looks amazing), but it completely missed one of the things that makes the games so great and so genuinely terrifying: symbolism.

Pyramid Head isn't just some giant guy with a huge buchers knife that likes to rape things and tear the skin off of people, he's a manifestation of the main character of Silent Hill 2's rage over his wife's death and his desire to be punished.

The specific design of the nurses in the movie were also from Silent Hill 2, which calls to the plate the fact that they looked like that because of James' anxiety over his wife's illness and the sexual deprivation that came from it.
  • Branded was an okay movie that wasn't exactly sure what it wanted to do.
  • edited September 2012
    The Documentary "Love the Beast" is absolutely fucking great. If you're a gearhead, it's a must watch, and even if you're not, it's a brilliant film. It follows Eric Bana's 25 year story with his first car, a Ford Falcon V8 XB Hardtop, and the triumph of following his dream of entering it into the Targa Tasmania race... where lost the whole thing in an instant, destroying the car, and dealing with the aftermath of that accident.

It's a Documentary of a gearhead's love for his car, and with a lot of insight into Australian Mateship to boot.

I gotta say, it's got it's rough moments too - The horror, sorrow and realization you see in Eric Bana's eyes when Jay Leno basically says to him "It's your fault, completely, if you'd have put the work into the car and yourself, you'd never have destroyed it in the first place", it just ripped the goddamned heart right out of me.

Trailer:

Post edited by Churba on
  • Amadeus is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen ever.