This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• This movie is in NO way worse than Spider-Man 3. Those people must've forgotten what that movie had.

I do agree on Electro. . I've also seen lots of mixed reviews. Saving it for the podcast.
  • The worse insult I have seen thrown at Amazing Spiderman 2 is that it feels like it came from the same era as old superhero films. I will still give it a shot as there were some good films to come out of that era but I cannot forget that Fantastic Four and Daredevil happened.
  • I believe Amazing Spider-Man 2 tries to balance between old comic book movie goofiness and new comic book movie intensity more so than the first one.
  • The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is almost the same kind of "just barely enjoyable" that the first one was.

Spider-Man 3 superior.
  • Most recently I saw Jodorowsky's Dune, which is great even if you don't care for Dune.
  • If you love the original Bionic Commando, you'll really love Bionic Commando: Rearmed.

If you love the original Godzilla movies, you'll really love the new Godzilla.

It's an average hollywood summer movie. It's a terrific Godzilla movie.
  • Having never watched a Godzilla movie before, I loved this new movie. Really cool blockbuster that has genuine tension and a pretty solid military plot. Fantastic cinematography. To me, the weakest parts was that some of the big fights felt edited or they cut scenes to early and most of the acting was acceptable, not necessarily spectacular. (Except Bryan Cranston who is always amazing)

To me, it's much better than Pacific Rim because this has genuine character drama and much better logic for the military involvement against the monsters.
  • I liked how the trailers revealed nothing and led me on to think it was going to be like '98 Godzilla. I was pleasantly surprised.

However, I really didn't like how it became like Michael Bay Transformers, in which it concentrated too much on humans. Fuck people, bring on destruction.
  • Rochelle said:

I liked how the trailers revealed nothing and led me on to think it was going to be like '98 Godzilla. I was pleasantly surprised.

However, I really didn't like how it became like Michael Bay Transformers, in which it concentrated too much on humans. Fuck people, bring on destruction.

I don't know why they keep insisting on putting humans in these movies at all. Maybe have them there just to be stepped on. They should make a Transformers movie that takes place entirely on Cybertron and outer space with almost no humans whatsoever. Oh wait, they kinda did.
  • I mean, Shia Lebouf just voice-acted that CGI human, right?
  • Apreche said:

Rochelle said:

I liked how the trailers revealed nothing and led me on to think it was going to be like '98 Godzilla. I was pleasantly surprised.

I don't know why they keep insisting on putting humans in these movies at all. Maybe have them there just to be stepped on. They should make a Transformers movie that takes place entirely on Cybertron and outer space with almost no humans whatsoever. Oh wait, they kinda did.
    Transformers doesn't hinge on human interaction. Godzilla kind of does because it was based on making statements about ecological dangers and fear. I thought the humans in the remake were effective and you can care for them because the scale of giant monsters attacking is really frightening.

Godzilla '98 is the same thing as Michael Bay Transformers. Not only is the human drama bad, but there's also really terrible parody and comic relief. While Ford isn't a great character, I could feel for him being in a really difficult, tense situation. (And so many of the great set pieces are just about the danger of things falling apart)
  • The movie could have been better without him having a wife and kid and Just show the relationship between him and his father.
  • Going to see Godzilla today. 3D for sure but the question is IMax vs standard.
  • Imax, 100%.
  • ThatGent said:

Imax, 100%.

Most IMAX is not really IMAX.
  • I saw Godzilla in standard and it was really good still. Iunno. Imax doesn't matter to me, though.
  • We saw it in movie theater Imax. Which is fine with me because the true Imax (Norwalk Aquarium) gives me vertigo.
  • Godzilla was filmed in 2D originally. The 3D is a conversion, so 2D is probably the better way to see it. I just went to 3D because I wanted some fire breathing coming out of the screen in case the movie disappointed in other aspects.
  • The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was better than I expected, even after people said it was better than they expected. However, that only brought it up from shit to good.
  • I prefer the 3D conversions. I don't like the 3D "throw shit out of the screen" style.
  • I assumed for years that I had seen LA Confidential. I now realize that I had mistaken it for a different movie.

God damn did I enjoy LA Confidential.
  • The new movie adaption of the comic "The Secret Service" looks pretty good. Nice to see a comic book movie that's different to the usual superhero romps we see lately.

• On Monday Juliane and I watched Monsters, the previous movie by Gareth Edwards, the director of Godzilla. I'd seen it before about 4 years ago. It's very good, but mainly as a nice romance that happens to have monsters, not so much about the monsters.
  • edited May 2014
    Just returned from X-Men: Days of Future Past. It was pretty good. A lot of characters which I didn't expect appeared mostly in cameos. Some plot points were a bit contrived (i.e. how does Kitty Pride have the ability to send minds back in time, etc.) but the acting was good, the action was pretty spectacular, and I loved the setting. Biggest flaw however I think is that Quicksilver pretty much steals the show, then is basically put on a bus for the rest of the film for no reason.

It's worse than First Class, and worse than most of Marvel's in house films, but it is still pretty good. Not spectacular, but good.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Godzilla was a very well made, well directed, well acted dull movie. I'm quite disappointed. It wasn't boring, just dull. I think there's a difference. There was lots of cool stuff, but overall I felt like I was watching a movie with all life sucked out of it. There was a single joke in the whole thing, and by its presence showed up just how not-fun the rest of the movie was, to me.

It's not a bad movie, not by any stretch, but just wasn't what I was expecting or wanted.
  • X-men: Days of Future Past, accomplishes something spectacular. It erases the horror that was X-men 3 and does it well. I actually think X-men: Days of Future Past is a bit better than the original movie and almost on par with First Class and X2 which I consider the best X-men movies. However for some reason, Fox can't make a movie that feels like the Marvel made movies do.
  • Yeah. It's not as good as Marvel Studios flick.

But it actually erases pretty much every X-Men movie. They have license to re-do them all now and never touch the old cast again. This was their last hurrah. Now it's all about the young'uns.
  • except for Wolverine :-p
  • edited May 2014
    Axel said:

But it actually erases pretty much every X-Men movie. They have license to re-do them all now and never touch the old cast again. This was their last hurrah. Now it's all about the young'uns.

Actually, they are getting back all of the old cast for X-Men: Apocalypse. (Except for Alan Cumming because he hated the makeup so much, which is a shame) The only new guy I know coming is going to be Channing Tatum as Gambit.

But I agree with ScoJo, X-Men Days of Future Past is pretty amazing in that it fixes so many of the problems with other films in the franchise and they can start the fresh. It's just such a solid drama with great set-pieces. Special props to James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence and Peter Dinklage.

Also, the Quicksilver scene is pretty amazing.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Indeed, X-:Men:DoFP was quite a solid movie that served as an excellent semi-reboot.