This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• edited May 2014
    I saw X-Men: Days of Future Past last night, and like everyone else here, I thought it was a really good movie, and a great way to reboot the X-Men universe after the horrible X:III.

Here's the thing though, going forward, which cast, and which timeline do you continue? If you go back to the "current" cast, then James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, and the guy who played Beast, are out, as those characters would be too old for the actors to portray them in the "modern" timeline and you already have Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen playing Xavier and Magento. If you continue with the "First Class" cast, then pretty much everyone else is out.

While the movie solved a lot of continuity problems, it created a whole bunch of new cast related ones.
    Post edited by jabrams007 on
  • Except Hugh Jackman. He can play in either timeline.
  • Jennifer Lawrence can probably still play Mystique. She is a shapeshifter, after all.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Except Hugh Jackman. He can play in either timeline.

True, Hugh Jackman can be in either timeline except that in the "First Class" timeline, he doesn't join the X-Men until much later, after he gets injected with Adamantium and the whole Weapon X stuff.

Jennifer Lawrence can probably still play Mystique. She is a shapeshifter, after all.

It was interesting to note that they pretty much brought back everyone from the "current" timeline cast except for Nightcrawler and "current" Mystique, played by Rebecca Romijn.

Thinking about it some more though, unless they suddenly give Mystique age-related powers, neither Jennifer Lawrence nor Rebecca Romijn are appropriate to play her. If, according to First Class, Raven/Mystique is roughly the same age as Xavier and Magneto, that would put her in her late 50's at her youngest and 70's at the oldest. The character of Mystique, being a contemporary of Xavier and Magneto in the First Class movies, but also still appearing young in the "current" X-Men movies is a temporal anomaly.

Or, I could just be over-thinking this too much...
  • I'm pretty sure the next movie is going to be in the early 80's.
  • The thing is, as a shapeshifter, Mystique can look any way she wants. She can look young in the "current" X-men movies because she chooses to do so.
  • edited May 2014

If, according to First Class, Raven/Mystique is roughly the same age as Xavier and Magneto, that would put her in her late 50's at her youngest and 70's at the oldest. The character of Mystique, being a contemporary of Xavier and Magneto in the First Class movies, but also still appearing young in the "current" X-Men movies is a temporal anomaly.

Fun facts - she's also Nightcrawler's mother, though he was raised by someone else.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2014

Oh Fun facts :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited May 2014
    Aw, they left off Gateway being Bishop's dad. And Deathcry isn't Deathbird's daughter, it should be one over, she's Lilandra's daughter. I demand accuracy in my pointless infographics of which fictional who is bangin' who and who resulted!

Still mildly surprised that in-every-book immortal ninja who fought in every war and witnessed every major event in history type guy Wolverine isn't just in the center with a rainbow of lines going in every other direction.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time today. The amount of annoying music and random images from space in that movie is downright annoying. When I saw it was 2.5 hours I didn't expect an hour of that to be this nonsense.
  • Kids these days... 2001 is a masterpiece. I can see your point; my father thinks much the same way as you. I just happen to think the both of you are uncivilized plebs. ;-)
  • edited May 2014
    Churba said:

Aw, they left off Gateway being Bishop's dad. And Deathcry isn't Deathbird's daughter, it should be one over, she's Lilandra's daughter. I demand accuracy in my pointless infographics of which fictional who is bangin' who and who resulted!

Still mildly surprised that in-every-book immortal ninja who fought in every war and witnessed every major event in history type guy Wolverine isn't just in the center with a rainbow of lines going in every other direction.

There also needs to be some line between Deadpool and Wolverine, and Deadpool dated Domino once upon a time I believe.

But yeah, since First Class was in 62 and the "Past" of Days of Future Past was sometime in the 70s, if Apocalypse is set in the 80s the cast for that that timeline shouldn't have any problem portraying people of the appropriate age.

Pegu said:

I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time today. The amount of annoying music and random images from space in that movie is downright annoying. When I saw it was 2.5 hours I didn't expect an hour of that to be this nonsense.

Don't worry. I had the same reaction when I first saw it.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • 2001 is a masterpiece, but I think a shorter edit would make it more accessible to more people. On the third or fourth viewing they can switch to the full version.
  • Holy butts, 13 Sins was intense.
  • Edge of Tomorrow, the new Tom Cruise scifi flick, is a really good movie. It's Groundhog Day crossed with Independence Day. Or Groundhog Day crossed with Starship Troopers. It's bonkers crazy, very funny, often very dark, super violent, touching at times, entertaining throughout. I highly recommend it, as it's probably Tom Cruise's best science fiction movie (though I'd have to watch it again and Minority Report again to make sure).
  • How does it compare to All You Need is Kill?
  • It is All You Need Is Kill.
  • edited June 2014
    ThatGent said:

How does it compare to All You Need is Kill?

Compared to the manga and what I'm told of the light novel, pretty well.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I've not read any version.
  • Edge of Tomorrow... It's Groundhog Day crossed with Independence Day. Or Groundhog Day crossed with Starship Troopers.

This is how I'm upselling this to people and no one is buying it. I'm glad you have positive things to say. It makes me hopeful that my good movie sense is still alive and kicking.
  • Tom Cruise ruins the movie for me. He is a Hollywood poison pill to me.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Tom Cruise ruins the movie for me. He is a Hollywood poison pill to me.

You are the people I'm trying to upsell. I get the man is wacky but come on! Some premise' are too cool not to investigate!
  • I don't know, I find Tom Cruise to be a lot of fun in every movie I see him in. Also how does that guy stay looking so young, he's some sort of freak or maybe being crazy helps.
  • Dromaro said:

HMTKSteve said:

Tom Cruise ruins the movie for me. He is a Hollywood poison pill to me.

You are the people I'm trying to upsell. I get the man is wacky but come on! Some premise' are too cool not to investigate!
    I want to see this movie, I just can't spend money to see it in a theater because it has Tom Cruise in it. When it hits Netflix? Hells yeah!

• Seriously? Tom Cruise is an awesome movie star. He's like the definition of the perfect leading man. Great value for money in pretty much all his science fiction movies.
  • I watched Riddick, everyone else don't.

Wolf of Wall Street -
    Not really worth the watch. It was interesting and funny at points but cringe worthy at others.

I was going to give Edge of Tomorrow a miss but it seems like its going on my list.
  • The Riddick movies are B grade stories with A grade production values.
  • HMTKSteve said:

The Riddick movies are B grade stories with A grade production values.

The dude killed a man with a TEA CUP.
  • edited June 2014
    Coldguy said:

HMTKSteve said:

The Riddick movies are B grade stories with A grade production values.

The dude killed a man with a TEA CUP.
    That was an awesome scene.

Death By Tea Cup:
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Edge of Tomorrow, the new Tom Cruise scifi flick, is a really good movie. It's Groundhog Day crossed with Independence Day. Or Groundhog Day crossed with Starship Troopers. It's bonkers crazy, very funny, often very dark, super violent, touching at times, entertaining throughout. I highly recommend it, as it's probably Tom Cruise's best science fiction movie (though I'd have to watch it again and Minority Report again to make sure).

I haven't seen Edge of Tomorrow yet, but speaking of Tom Cruise scifi movies, I thought Oblivion was 10x better than it had any right to be or was expecting.