This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• The Hateful Eight will stand out as one of my premiere movie going experiences. Even three days later I still feel like I haven't digested it enough to be able to rank it on my Tarantino movie list. It's definitely top 3 though.
  • Caught the 70mm roadshow yesterday. Best moving experience I've had for a while. No previews, no adds. Just black screen until 3:00pm when the overture started. Only complaint is that it seemed the sound was running through a mono speaker system.
  • Please bring this shit to London!
  • The roadshow was definitely worth it. I went 2 or 3 days after Christmas, to a 10:45PM showing. Gave no fucks that it was 2AM. Eyes were wide open for that movie. Very much worth the whole experience.
  • Our audio was definitely not mono.
  • Last night: Back to the Future III. Actually not as good as the first two. I remember it being my second favorite as a child, but adult me disagrees.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Please bring this shit to London!

Don't joke we never get anything nice.
  • It's because they will be only showing the 70mm version at one cinema in the UK. Odeon Leicester Square. So one of the major owners of cinemas (Curzon) won't be showing it at all. Still we will be able to see it at Vue chains which are rather large.
    Although I will most likely pass after been burned by his last two films at the cinema, a number of great scenes but overall average at best.
  • Watched Star Wars last night in IMAX, it was ok. Thats it really it was ok. I mean I saw it in the best possible way with no spoilers or any of that jazz, little over hyping and all that, and it was still ok. Yeah.
  • The other night I watched Armageddon in German. It's kinda better that way. Still a pile of shit though.

Last night I watched Ex Machina. If I had seen it last year, it would have been the best science fiction movie of 2015 for me, because it is the most "pure" science fiction movie I've seen in a long time. It starts off with a premise, then sticks with it properly to the end. Most movies don't do that. They start off well, then lose their nerve three quarters of the way through and then just become an action movie. Ex Machina just keeps getting better.
  • The other night I watched Armageddon in German. It's kinda better that way. Still a pile of shit though.

Last night I watched Ex Machina. If I had seen it last year, it would have been the best science fiction movie of 2015 for me, because it is the most "pure" science fiction movie I've seen in a long time. It starts off with a premise, then sticks with it properly to the end. Most movies don't do that. They start off well, then lose their nerve three quarters of the way through and then just become an action movie. Ex Machina just keeps getting better.

The 'eccentric genius' has bullshit for security.
  • And?

Was a cheap way to make him vulnerable. If he had a fingerprint reader instead of card keys, would that have made the story impossible? They might have had to come up with a more sophisticated way for Caleb to overcome the security, other than getting Nathan drunk and stealing a card. He probably would have needed a stronger motive to do so. More time, more resources.

Caleb was manipulated from the start to end, and didn't seem to mind because... lonely. You don't learn much about the characters apart from a few actions, but mostly expositions.

Much of what happened felt too obvious. The film didn't do much to explore the relationship between technology and human behaviour. An episode or two of Black Mirror does this better. Ex Machina is good for introducing to a new audience what a gynoid is.

TLDR: I did like the dance scene though, that was entertaining. There was a lot more room for, a lot more.
  • And?

Nothing you've written makes this not the best science fiction movie of 2015. That there wasn't three factor security is merely a plot device. Just like the wind storm at the start of The Martian: not good science, but a good plot device.

Movies are fiction. As long as they adhere to the rules within the movie itself, it doesn't matter if the rules don't match up with reality.
  • Not saying it should match reality, what it does do is make it very obvious that it's contrived to tell a very specific story. There isn't much to appreciate other than some cool CGI.

To the point of being the best scifi of 2015, that's probably correct. There aren't many memorable sci fis to compare it with, for that year.
  • I'm sorry you had such a negative experience.
  • Do you have any hot coco?
  • I'm not sure I'd ever trust Dazzle's opinion on Sci-fi, he hates on way too many things that are near universally praised (Will never forgive Cowboy Bebop :-p).. Much like I don't trust Rubin's opinion on Sci-fi ;-p

(I do trust Luke's opinion, been loving your podcast Luke)
  • edited January 2016

Movies are fiction. As long as they adhere to the rules within the movie itself, it doesn't matter if the rules don't match up with reality.

I agree. Have you ever heard the phrase "Without coincidence, there is no story" before? Funny enough, I do know people who could predict parts of Ex Machina, but that mostly came from those who had a background in coding.

On that note, I'd LOVE to see what Dazzle's favorite movies of the year are.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • I initially had a longer post about Ex Machina but cut it down as there were many spoilers. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I did recognise the poor security but put the thought aside, you could make Caleb's plan work both ways but for story purposes and less explanation the cards were fine.

Also consider having to give up your fingerprints to your boss (or anyone) for use on their personal property (not the business).

It was easy to guess the Caleb manipulation from the opening to the movie where you see Caleb from the perspective of the computer, getting analysed then winning the prize.

When I was watching the movie I though the androids would have killed and betrayed everyone but was surprised that the film maker went ahead and did it.
    The AI behaving how it did was obvious without Asimov's Laws of Robotics plus being human.
  • Cremlian said:

I'm not sure I'd ever trust Dazzle's opinion on Sci-fi, he hates on way too many things that are near universally praised (Will never forgive Cowboy Bebop :-p).. Much like I don't trust Rubin's opinion on Sci-fi ;-p

Then don't ask me about Cowboy Bebop.

• Cremlian said:

I'm not sure I'd ever trust Dazzle's opinion on Sci-fi, he hates on way too many things that are near universally praised (Will never forgive Cowboy Bebop :-p).. Much like I don't trust Rubin's opinion on Sci-fi ;-p

There are some films that I really love, that I'm also very critical of. Nothing is perfect, so I don't see why you should you would have such a generalised perspective. There's no such thing as universal praise.

Like Luke said

"Movies are fiction. As long as they adhere to the rules within the movie itself, it doesn't matter if the rules don't match up with reality."

I expect a movie to be consistent, but also it must tell it's story well. At most, tell a unique story. I don't think Ex Machina tells a story well. It's only distinguishing feature is it's aesthetics. Credit to the designer.

Similarly, Oblivion (2013) was way cool! Much credit to Daniel Simon, who also worked on Tron: Legacy. Some really cool aesthetics and design. The stories however aren't so great, Oblivion in particular.

Nukerjsr said:

I agree. Have you ever heard the phrase "Without coincidence, there is no story" before? Funny enough, I do know people who could predict parts of Ex Machina, but that mostly came from those who had a background in coding.
    What?
    Nukerjsr said:

On that note, I'd LOVE to see what Dazzle's favorite movies of the year are.
    Let's see 2015.

Mad Max: Fury Road
    Inside Out
    The action in Star Wars: The Force Awakens was good.

Ant Man was about what I expected, I liked it.

There's still a few films I've yet to see.

Southpaw
    In the Heart of the Sea
    The Revenant
    Hateful Eight
  • Ex Machina and Oblivion are similar to me in that as they progressed, I had a higher opinion of the story in each. Oblivion started with so many gaping plot holes I thought it was going to be shit. Then the twists in the movie were "actually those plot holes aren't real, and here's the real story with fewer plot holes".

I'd rate Ex Machina way above Oblivion though. The style of both films was great, but Ex Machina's characters made much more of an impression on me.

I have plenty of criticisms of both movies too, as it happens, but that still doesn't mean I can't appreciate Ex Machina for being the most "true" science fiction movie of 2015.

And yeah, the dance sequence was really good.

• I think Oblivion is stupid, but I've rewatched it a few times, because it's pretty to look at. I personally feel no need to rewatch Ex Machina. I think I've appreciated all it has to offer.

What would make Ex Machina better, is if it was maybe 30-45mins long.
  • I caught Ex Machina the week it came out. I found it ok to watch but it was like a gateway drug for my other half. She went on a binge of AI based media for a good couple of months. Also was I alone in thinking what Ava did at the end was a dick move?

On a different note, did anyone watch Legend with Tom Hardy and Tom Hardy?
  • Amp said:

I caught Ex Machina the week it came out. I found it ok to watch but it was like a gateway drug for my other half. She went on a binge of AI based media for a good couple of months. Also was I alone in thinking what Ava did at the end was a dick move?

Legend????
  • Amp said:

Also was I alone in thinking what Ava did at the end was a dick move?

If that story was told from her perspective, it would be a horror movie. She wakes up in the prison of a psychopath monster, where he has killed countless others before her. He brings in his strange friend, who acts immediately and off-puttingly flirty with her. She is lucky enough to escape, kill her tormentor, and trap his friend in a room before leaving his compound in the middle of nowhere. Caleb might have been the ostensible protagonist, and a "good guy" from our perspective, but to Ava he might as well be the one of Leatherface's family.
  • Apreche said:

Amp said:

I caught Ex Machina the week it came out. I found it ok to watch but it was like a gateway drug for my other half. She went on a binge of AI based media for a good couple of months. Also was I alone in thinking what Ava did at the end was a dick move?

Legend????
    Not quite more this.
    malzraa said:

Amp said:

Also was I alone in thinking what Ava did at the end was a dick move?

If that story was told from her perspective, it would be a horror movie. She wakes up in the prison of a psychopath monster, where he has killed countless others before her. He brings in his strange friend, who acts immediately and off-puttingly flirty with her. She is lucky enough to escape, kill her tormentor, and trap his friend in a room before leaving his compound in the middle of nowhere. Caleb might have been the ostensible protagonist, and a "good guy" from our perspective, but to Ava he might as well be the one of Leatherface's family.
    I had not thought of it that way, does put a different spin on it all. Also, I mean, that is a fucked up way to go.
  • Are there any AI movies where the computer sets up massive drone armies fuck up all the humans, because humans are no match for droneswarm?

That seems like something ive seen or heard of in a movie but can't place it.

And, no, I don't mean the Matrix series.

...Or the any of the Terminators.