This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull
    I knew this movie had a poor reception. I completely agree after having watched the original trilogy over the past few weeks. Many of the characters became cringe worthy, as was the story. The movie was full of throw backs to prior films rather than making any lasting moments of their own.

Most of what makes Indiana Jones movies was a sham and having the whole family thing felt kind of happily ever after and obvious from the first act. Literally there was no surprise because you even knew the skull was an alien skull from the page of notes he finds. Also having the froot loop with them the whole way was annoying.

Cate Blanchett did a passable Indiana Jones villain.

Would not recommend.
    Dazzle369 said:

Deadpool was by far the most entertaining Marvel film I've seen in a long while. There wasn't even much of a showcase of special effects, yet there was a decent balance of drama and comedy. Tropey and slapstick, but still entertaining.

I don't expect they can do it any better for a sequel, there's not much to it.

It's the first Fox Marvel film which is actually good and true to the character, especially as written during the character defining run of Joe Kelly in the comics. Everything from the opening credits to the stinger is true to how a Deadpool comic is thought of. Unrelenting humour whether hit or miss.

Also I applaud them not showing of Ryan Reynolds face and under a mask for the majority of the film. Holywood wants to show you their star's faces, hence why Iron Man and Captain America are mostly shot with their helmet or masks off.

The taxi cab side joke was quite hilarious. As was Deadpool constantly making fun of the Fox Marvel films, including their cast changes and struggles.
  • Deadpool definitely pokes at typical Marvel films and even though the meta jokes were obvious, they still made me laugh.
  • Yea, the next X-men movie actually kinda looks like a X-men movie so I'm hoping that Deadpool (and Days of Future past) represented a change in thinking at fox about this franchise.
  • Fantasia Amazing! Stunning animation, beautiful music. I was really surprised at how unapologetically high-brow it was. Also amazingly trippy for a movie released 3 years before the invention of LSD.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Deadpool definitely pokes at typical Marvel films and even though the meta jokes were obvious, they still made me laugh.

I noticed it poked way more at X-Men (Especially Origins: Wolverine) and Green Lantern rather than the MCU.

But yeah, Deadpool is great. Funniest Superhero Movie. And for someone who's essentially a first time director (he directed two short films 13 years ago), he really captured everything to make it funny, subversive, and meta all at the same time with well shot acted and a great way to make an origin story fun again.

For the sequel? I dunno, make it a musical with Henry Rollins as Cable.
  • They started off 1970 with Zatoichi meets Yojimbo. My boy Mifune IS in it. However, the character he is portraying isn't actually the Yojimbo from the Kurosawa films. He has a different personality, and even has a name. Really, this movie isn't bad, but it's mostly just a big cameo. Almost as if someone was able to make their fan-fic for real. Was probably a money grab. I guess they did it about as well as they could.

They finished off 1970 with Zatoichi Goes to the Fire Festival. Clearly they were bored with repeating the Zatoichi formula every year. Maybe they were frustrated after making that money grab with Mifune. Maybe box office receipts were down, and it was time to freshen things up? Whatever the reason, they ushered in a new decade by ushering Zatoichi into a new era of film making.

At some points it feels like they didn't know what direction they wanted, and tossed in a little of everything. It has some comedy stylings and action scenes you would see from Roger Moore's James Bond, like Live and Let Die. It has the scope of Fritz Lang's "M". Top it off with just a pinch of the psychedelics. Meanwhile, at the core, it's still just Zatoichi cuttin' down some bad yakuza.

I can't say for sure if it's AS good as Flashing Sword (7), but it could be. It could even be better. Flashing Sword's purity makes it much easier to measure it's quality. Fire Festival is just so much harder to get a grip on. I find myself wanting to watch Flashing Sword again to enjoy it, but wanting to rewatch Fire Festival again to understand it.

Spoilers: I'm sure somewhere in Japan there is a fire matsuri, but Zatoichi does not go to it in this film.
  • edited February 2016
    Apreche said:

Spoilers: I'm sure somewhere in Japan there is a fire matsuri, but Zatoichi does not go to it in this film.

I went to one yesterday, actually. They make two 15-20 feet tall bundles of rice straw, wrap them in a bamboo and set fire to them. Then the climb up the torches and shake them. It's super intense. Japanese wiki lists over thirty fire festivals, so I doubt it was the titular one.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Yeah, there were zero such fire festivals in the movie.
  • Settling in for a first viewing of Fury Road. Let's see if it meets the hype.
  • Yesterday I watched Mad Max Fury Road on my flight home from Brazil. Or, at least, I started watching it but ran out of time. I watched up until Richtus fires his machine gun into the air, which is the ending of my favourite scene.
  • Hey, I hear you guys like Zatoichi in this thread? Well, check this out.

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Zatoichi-TV-Series-DVD-Set-1-S-LiveAction

For today only (Leap Day), Right Stuf has the TV series for $1.29.
  • Daikun said:

Hey, I hear you guys like Zatoichi in this thread? Well, check this out.

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Zatoichi-TV-Series-DVD-Set-1-S-LiveAction

For today only (Leap Day), Right Stuf has the TV series for $1.29.

Well, the price is right!
  • Zootopia felt like one of the best Dreamworks animated movies I'd ever seen, and then you realize it's a Pixar movie. The visuals were ridiculously good, but I wasn't thrilled with the story. On one hand I actually really like the message it was sending. They couldn't have picked a better moment in time to depict this as a literal cop struggling with issues of discrimination against minorities, but playing it out in such clear light is also a bit ham-fisted. Subtle, this movie is not. The jokes felt hit or miss. I'm 100% down with the animal puns, and stuff like an extended Godfather parody and current-events referential humor like the pop diva gazelle and smartphone apps were fairly cringe-worthy. My vote is a solid B+, lifted on the strength of the animation. Good movie, it's just hard to live up to Pixar expectations.

• It's not a Pixar movie, though if it were, it'd absolutely be one of the best they've made in a long time.
  • My bad
  • Zootopia was the best Disney movie in a long time. It far exceeded my expectations.

The pop culture references weren't spotlighted like, say, those terrible Shrek movies. They were also jokes in their own right, and they'll stand up fine even when the specific things they're referencing are long forgotten. See Bugs Bunny cartoons: the references are there if you notice them, but the jokes they underpin stand up on their own.

It was a lot more subtle than people give it credit for already. It wasn't just "discrimination against minorities." There was no 1:1 analog to reality with any of it, and they played instead to the specific reality of their world. There were four or five separate discrimination issues all interleaved, making a clean break from current day problems while still evoking them. The specific points about discrimination were actually pretty nuanced.

I'm saying A-. Maybe A.

It's also blowing away the box office.
  • Rym said:

There were four or five separate discrimination issues all interleaved, making a clean break from current day problems while still evoking them. The specific points about discrimination were actually pretty nuanced.

This. Zootopia is wicked clever.
  • It's also a movie where the female and male leads don't fall in love, the female lead doesn't get damseled, and the campy fat guy doesn't get any shit for being fat or campy. Fuck yeah movies.
  • I do think they start dating right after the movie though... ;)
  • Rym said:

I do think they start dating right after the movie though... ;)

The shipping is real!
  • Seems like I'm definitely in the minority opinion on this one. I left it out of my initial thoughts but I wholeheartedly agree on the strong female protagonist notes. Even kid's movies with a strong female lead tend to have an awful moment or two that completely undermines the character. Zootopia had none of that shit.
  • I really enjoyed the movie, but there were a few plot holes that you could drive a truck through.
  • I have now seen every Zatoichi movie except for this spin-off:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichi_(2008_film)

And this one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zatoichi:_The_Last
  • RymRym
    edited March 2016
    belkalra said:

I really enjoyed the movie, but there were a few plot holes that you could drive a truck through.

I didn't see any to be honest. The script wrapped everything up tightly, and all of Chekhov's guns fired at the appropriate times.

I'd say the script went out of its way to ensure that continuity was maintained. There were many little off-hand comments or short shots that established premises required later to avoid plot holes.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym said:

belkalra said:

I really enjoyed the movie, but there were a few plot holes that you could drive a truck through.

I didn't see any to be honest. The script wrapped everything up tightly, and all of Chekhov's guns fired at the appropriate times.

I'd say the script went out of its way to ensure that continuity was maintained. There were many little off-hand comments or short shots that established premises required later to avoid plot holes.
    I talked with pence and I apparently forgot a line of dialog that contained some pretty plot critical information.
  • Zootopia is brilliant. Easily the most socially aware film Disney has ever produced and so ingeniously concocted as a great detective stores dragging you along the way. Judy is a pretty fantastic protagonist and her relationship with Nick is done in such a fun, clever way. They explored just enough to keep you curious in everyone's story and motivation. I'd also say it's the funniest film Disney has done in a while, having an actually funny Godfather parody and one of the best ending gags I've seen in an animated movie.
    Rym said:

It was a lot more subtle than people give it credit for already. It wasn't just "discrimination against minorities." There was no 1:1 analog to reality with any of it, and they played instead to the specific reality of their world. There were four or five separate discrimination issues all interleaved, making a clean break from current day problems while still evoking them. The specific points about discrimination were actually pretty nuanced.

There are very clear allegories to race especially when it comes to the main crux and message to the plot, but so many small, subtle ways of bringing forth people's thoughts on race. The Prey/Predator dynamic is covered well, the Bunny allegories with women, the way "biology" is brought into question...even that scene where Nick is touching the sheep's wool is something that many of my black friends have talked about dealing with.

At worst I can say like some of the dialogue is clunky with the parents and the police chief, who is really just pulling the "THE MAYOR IS ON MY ASS" archetype. Plus, it's a missed opportunity you don't get Estelle to voice Gazelle. But I'd give it a 9-9.5 out of 10.
  • Yes to agreement on Zootopia. I really want to watch it again. Loved the Emmett Otter nod. Pretty sure it's a nod.

I've been making sure to integrate more Zootopia gifs in my Twitter feed. A cool FB friend said, "Adults need to watch more kids movies. They explain complex concepts in ways simple enough that even the dumbest grown-ups can understand." I agree with this sentiment.
  • So finally saw Hateful Eight. I liked it, but it felt like a lesser of the Tarantino movies. Not much really went on. It was more like a Poirot movie.

Trust and mistrust is the core narrative. And you're trying to figure out what everyone's true motives are, who's lying and why. Although it actually didn't feel long, it could have probably been a shorter film. There's not an awful lot that you learn from this film. The ending wasn't very satisfying. By comparison to say Reservoir Dogs, which was very climactic. There was more a payoff of consequence when all is revealed. In Hateful Eight I didn't feel that payoff. I did like it however. 8/10
  • Zootopia really is good. For once the movie references in an animated movie worked really great. For example, at one point I turned to Juliane and said "This is just like the Breaking Bad lab" and then 20 seconds later the ram says "Hey, Walter and Jesse are here!"

I was nervous that the trailer I'd seen before, with the DMV scene, was going to be the funniest part of the movie. It wasn't! I was cracking up at so many points. Duke Weaselton almost made me cry with "They made me an offer I couldn't refuse: money" and "He's not friendly. He's the opposite of friendly. He's unfriendly."

Not sure how great it is for young kids though. It might be a movie that will be a fun romp for them for now, but they won't really grok it for another decade.
  • I thought Zootopia was in danger of being over hyped. Having seen it now. It is no longer a worry