This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I can't express how rare it is that I come into something with high expectations, and those high expectations are exceeded.

Movies that have done this to me:

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
    2. Zootopia
    3. Redline
  • Yesterday I almost had a personal crisis moment when I listened to the Hamilton soundtrack in the morning and then watched Zootopia in the afternoon. It hit me that I would never create anything as good as either of those things.

Later a friend told me not to worry. I'm one guy with a guitar, not Disney or Broadway with hundreds or thousands of people working for me and millions in funding.
  • That's a good lesson to take to heart. I won't pretend I haven't had similar crisis moments. No matter how good anyone gets at something, there are a bunch of other things that you also need to be good at to make something amazing (usually).

We're primed to compare ourselves, flaws and all, to the best qualities and skills from the collective set of people whose work we consume.
  • Rym was born in Jan '82. I was born in April '82. Henrik Lundqvist was born in March '82.

One of the most important lessons ever I got from my 10th grade English teacher.

"You are not special. Michael Jordan is special. Shakespeare was special. You are not."
  • I really think I am special. But when it comes to musicals and movies, I'm waaaaaay late to the game. Juggling? I've put in my time.
  • edited March 2016
    I can't recall the last time I was this far off the critical consensus on a movie (viewing Zootopia as a B+ when it is sitting at 99% on Rotten Tomatoes). I did see a trailer for "Pets" playing in the movie theater lobby today, and holy shit did it make me long for Zootopia.

Took the kid to NYC International Children's Film Festival today to see Long Way North. As far as where I'd rank it, Long Way North would be a peg or two below Song of the Sea, yet I have only minor complaints w/ Long Way North. It's just a solid movie. Brilliant hand-drawn animation. Awesome strong female lead. It's something I'll pick up to own and watch w/ the kid again, loan to other parents, etc. It reminds me of Disney movies along the lines of Brave and Mulan, only better.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • B+ is an okay grade for Zootopia. It's not perfect, it's just very good. I'd give it an A-.
  • Deadpool was delightfully Deadpooly.

Plenty of meta humor, entertaining, and generally a good time.

Not the best Marvel installment, but certainly fun.
  • Zootopia is a fantastic movie for people that want to see trains lilting and light reflecting off scratches in sky tram rails.
  • Batman v. Superman is a trainwreck. An awful, joyless, mind-numbing experience from beginning to end that cares far more how it looks and comes across as mature rather than having any substance. The editing is some of the worst you will find in a superhero movie as there are constant cuts from scene to scene without any build-up or well developed motivations for why characters do things. Everything feels done for plot necessity rather than giving us a clear story with understandable characters.

This film comes off so hard as Snyder as a director who directly hates Superman and the idea of superheroes who does things for the good of others and humanity. He was so obsessed with the religious allegories of what Superman means for the rest of the world or even the terrorist-centric plot obsessing over Superman as a "hero" rather than giving him any sort of character. Cavill is completely wooden given nothing to do and the story flip-flops nonstop over how the public feels about him. Jesse Eisenberg is terrible as Lex Luthor as well. He's not an intimidating, intelligent businessman but rather an unhinged creeper in the vein of Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka. The characters can be boiled down to Lex is an angry, egocentric atheist and Batman is a jingoistic nut.

Acting-wise, Ben Affleck is a pretty good Batman and Gal Gadot is a good Wonder Woman. Some of the action is really cool. But that doesn't forgive the film for being an absolute clusterfuck. Countless plot holes, plot contrivances, and sequel baiting. It's trying to be 5 movies all in the span of 150 Minutes. All the dialogue boils down to characters giving speeches about the importance of humanity and religious significance of Superman.

This was absolutely terrible. I feel so bad for the kids who were taken to see something so jaded, joyless, that focuses so much harder on hamfisted political/social commentary than actually give a decent, watchable film.
  • Zootopia! Really enjoyed it and it's take on sociological complexities. I definitely felt the emotions. It did alot of things very well.

Design wise, there was a good amount of attention to detail. I really liked how every species of animal had everyday things designed to their needs (as you'd expect they should). Like the air shoot to deliver the drink to the tall giraffe. IRL inclusive design is usually an after thought, hence retro fitting things like wheelchair ramps etc. Embracing diversity was a key point; in the architecture, environment, personalities, animals etc. The deliberate 'tour' of the city a little bit of nudge theory to set an expectation for us humans.

What was fun for me, also, was trying to figure out what the themes were closest analogous too. The popsicle hustle? Was that reference to pot/ marijuana? Melting it down, was that cutting coke? Were the plants akin to poppies being refined into heroin?

Now if more films can be inclusive of the wider emotional spectrum like Zootopia, that would be great. There's too much monotonal garbage in cinema.
  • Dope definitely lived up to its name. Great movie!
  • Nukerjsr said:

Batman v. Superman is a trainwreck. An awful, joyless, mind-numbing experience from beginning to end that cares far more how it looks and comes across as mature rather than having any substance. The editing is some of the worst you will find in a superhero movie as there are constant cuts from scene to scene without any build-up or well developed motivations for why characters do things. Everything feels done for plot necessity rather than giving us a clear story with understandable characters.

This film comes off so hard as Snyder as a director who directly hates Superman and the idea of superheroes who does things for the good of others and humanity. He was so obsessed with the religious allegories of what Superman means for the rest of the world or even the terrorist-centric plot obsessing over Superman as a "hero" rather than giving him any sort of character. Cavill is completely wooden given nothing to do and the story flip-flops nonstop over how the public feels about him. Jesse Eisenberg is terrible as Lex Luthor as well. He's not an intimidating, intelligent businessman but rather an unhinged creeper in the vein of Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka. The characters can be boiled down to Lex is an angry, egocentric atheist and Batman is a jingoistic nut.

Acting-wise, Ben Affleck is a pretty good Batman and Gal Gadot is a good Wonder Woman. Some of the action is really cool. But that doesn't forgive the film for being an absolute clusterfuck. Countless plot holes, plot contrivances, and sequel baiting. It's trying to be 5 movies all in the span of 150 Minutes. All the dialogue boils down to characters giving speeches about the importance of humanity and religious significance of Superman.

This was absolutely terrible. I feel so bad for the kids who were taken to see something so jaded, joyless, that focuses so much harder on hamfisted political/social commentary than actually give a decent, watchable film.

Yep.
    This is what happens when Snyder isn't given a frame by fame graphic novel to reproduce. It's what kept him on track for Watchmen and the tone correct for 300.

In this movie there are a bunch of business people involved with random grabs of writers and no real creative staff with any control (the reverse of what is present in Marvel Studio films and shows where some of the original writers have a much stronger control over the story and characters).
    The movie has grabbed a bunch of the epic story lines from DC which are completely unrelated and cobbled them together. Leaving Snyder to flounder to drown as he has no solid story to keep him afloat.

He's grabbed some of the great frames and story points from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, The Death of Superman and a few plot lines from Geoff John's runs. Smashing these all together makes no sense and it obviously shows. (The Dark Knight Returns is set at a time when Batman has grown too old to do his part and he recognises the futility of his life's work in a reflective story, how is that story supposed to be told to a mass audience and mashed with multiple other plots).

Fans of the comics will feel robbed as they will pick up on the references and see the lost chances. People who don't know anything but the names "Batman" and "Superman" will be asking WTF am I watching?

Ben Affleck could have actually been a good Batman in my opinion.
    I don't think it's Cavill's fault but more Snyder and Warner Brothers not letting him play the character. Superman Returns was terrible and this movie is far worse.

The movie would have been better off as a Batman and Wonder Woman story.

If you want to read the definitive Superman story and representation of the character go find All-Star Superman written by Grant Morrison and pencilled by Frank Quitely. All other Superman stories will feel like trash in comparison.

Business people at DC wanted The Avengers without the 5 year build up of films.
  • Started watching this.

• edited April 2016
    I broke the streak and saw Hardcore Henry at the movie theatre. This is not a film if you like a coherent plot, however this is a roller coaster ride that doesn't stop and a blast to experience. Recommend on an awesome screen or a VR headset (just dont turn your head).

Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Bladerunner: The Final Cut is the best version of a masterwork of a film that I still don't find very enjoyable, but somehow love watching just to appreciate it.
  • Does that mean you didn't like the original cut as well? Where did you see the new cut, the theater or is it a dvd release? I loved Blade Runner, but it's been so long since I've seen it... I may love it in memory more than I'd actually love seeing it again.

Without spoilers can you say what makes this version better?
  • The Final Cut cleans up a lot of the special effects that look rough and dated in the previous versions. Previously I'd seen VHS and DVD versions, and the new transfer is much better in terms of image and sound quality.

In terms of content, there are a few different shots in some places, some scenes extended a little, a bit more violence, that kind of stuff. I'm sure I didn't spot all the differences, as it's been a few years since I've seen it.

I just googled and found a spoilerific breakdown: http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=4589

• I'll have to check it out then. Thanks!
  • Kung Fury. Well worth 30 minutes of anyone's time.
  • Kung Fury. Well worth 30 minutes of anyone's time.

Its surprisingly tight for how short it is, defiantly worth the time.

Rewatched Hackers, still a great film so 90's so good.
  • RED is a very, very, very dumb movie, with a single joke being played out over and over in various ways. But it was fun enough to get through, mostly.
  • Tremors is almost a perfect movie.
  • Aw, yeah! Tremors is great!
  • My dad and I saw Hardcore Henry in the theater. I agree with Coldguy; it was fun as hell.
  • The Jungle Book was the same since you saw it as a kid, a resounding OK.
  • edited May 2016
    I'm late to the party, but we recently saw Zootopia. Everyone is going to disagree with me on this, but here is my take:

It was fine, but it didn't grab me at all. The film was a blank to me besides its overall message, which was overemphasized and restated ad nauseam. It is likely just me, but there was no one scene, visual, character, plot point, or theme that resonated with me. For a film that defied a lot of Disney tropes/formulas, the result was unfailingly glossy and undifferentiated, bland, predictable, and wholly forgettable.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I'm late to the party, but we recently saw Zootopia. Everyone is going to disagree with me on this, but here is my take:

It was fine, but it didn't grab me at all. The film was a blank to me besides its overall message, which was overemphasized and restated ad nauseam. It is likely just me, but there was no one scene, visual, character, plot point, or theme that resonated with me. For a film that defied a lot of Disney tropes/formulas, the result was unfailingly glossy and undifferentiated, bland, predictable, and wholly forgettable.

Any film that is designed to deliver a 'message, is like a pill. If you find the capsule sweet you're more likely to swallow.

Like you say, nothing in the theme resonated with you. If the film was re-skinned...

I think that says the superficial layer matters more to you, because the delivery was done really well in Zootopia, in comparison to many recent films (animated/ live-action).
  • edited May 2016
    Dazzle369 said:

Any film that is designed to deliver a 'message, is like a pill. If you find the capsule sweet you're more likely to swallow.

Like you say, nothing in the theme resonated with you. If the film was re-skinned...

I think that says the superficial layer matters more to you, because the delivery was done really well in Zootopia, in comparison to many recent films (animated/ live-action).

No. I agree with the message, but that doesn't mean it was poignant or well delivered. A work of art is not it's message. If it were than saying "try new things, work toward your goals, and don't let people's opinion of what you can do limit what you do" would be be just as valid a piece of art as Zootopia.

What are you deeming to be "the superficial?"

Additionally, your statement that "the delivery was done really well in Zootopia" is your subjective opinion. In my subjective opinion, it was pretty and had a couple of good jokes, but was otherwise devoid of memorable moments, characters, plot points, music, dialogue, or visuals. It was well done in that the technical elements were far above par, but that doesn't necessarily equate to them resonating with any given member of the audience.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on