This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    You're speakin' my language, lady. The DC animated universe, especially the stuff by Bruce Timm, is the best product DC has.
  • Nuri and I (well, OK, me primarily) just finished Food Inc.. I can go into more specific details if people would like, but here's my general overview:

30% of the movie consisted of valid points, useful information, and critical points that need to enter the national dialogue. The remaining 70% was a series of misrepresented facts, sensationalist appeals to various emotions, shock value footage, and an overall attempt to push an agenda whose veracity is still largely unknown and somewhat suspect.

In other words, citation needed.

I do recommend watching it. Don't believe anything in it. Instead, take all the issues it discusses and do complete and thorough research on them to best figure out what's going on. As a food safety professional, I like supporting the local farmer, but I don't like telling people that organic food is better for them, because that's not necessarily true.

Also, minor technical point: we don't know how E. coli O157:H7 evolved. Saying it evolved as a result of factory farming requires several leaps of current scientific knowledge.
  • The new Karate Kid was surprisingly good. It didn't do anything new, but it left you satisfied in everything you would expect. I wonder if I went to China people would want to touch my hair a lot.
    As a fellow person with crazy hair - Yes.
    Man, I live in the Midwest, and girls ask to touch my hair here. It's crazy.
  • I saw The A-Team. Stuff blowed up good. Success!
  • edited June 2010
    In preparation of Best Worst Movie coming to Seattle this weekend, I just watched Troll and Troll 2 back-to-back. Yes, they are bad, but I <3 them.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Troll 2
    IIRC, a friend of mine's grandmother had a bit part in Troll 2. I think she gets pushed down stairs or something.
  • I wonder if I went to China people would want to touch my hair a lot.
    Having curly hair in Japan once got me mobbed by a bunch of girls at the school I went to. The trick is just to make sure there's not too many people around.
  • I wonder if I went to China people would want to touch my hair a lot.
    Having curly hair in Japan once got me mobbed by a bunch of girls at the school I went to. The trick is just to make sure there's not too many people around.
    How old were they?
  • Superman I & II. Far too cheesy at times and Lex Luthor seemed like more of a used car salesman than an evil genius. Also, he should have been bald throughout both movies. The movies were entertaining though.
    What were your opinions on II in particular?
    I enjoyed Superman II more than the first one to be honest. I liked the Zod character and his band of merry men much more than Lex's team of goons. Lex overall is hard to take serious in both movies though. Which bothers me because I really like him as a villain.
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2010
    Superman I & II. Far too cheesy at times and Lex Luthor seemed like more of a used car salesman than an evil genius. Also, he should have been bald throughout both movies. The movies were entertaining though.
    What were your opinions on II in particular?
    I enjoyed Superman II more than the first one to be honest. I liked the Zod character and his band of merry men much more than Lex's team of goons. Lex overall is hard to take serious in both movies though. Which bothers me because I really like him as a villain.
    Well watch "The Donner Cut" as I feel it's much more faithful and more in the spirit of what Superman actually is. I'm sorry, but the second is so goony and ridiculously stupid (Eiffel Tower? Really?). Zod, Ursa, and Non were fucking awesome villains, yes, there is no denying it; and the Donner Cut only serves to enhance that. Plus, this wasn't Richard Lester's movie; he stole it from Dick Donner because of how much the producers were ass-helmets toward the latter and let Lester have his way. It's as close to the original vision of Superman II as anyone will ever get.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Well watch "The Donner Cut" as I feel it's much more faithful and more in the spirit of what Superman actually is. I'm sorry, but the second is so goony and ridiculously stupid (Eiffel Tower? Really?). Zod, Ursa, and Non were fucking awesome villains, yes, there is no denying it; and the Donner Cut only serves to enhance that. Plus, this wasn't Richard Lester's movie; he stole it from Dick Donner because of how much the producers were ass-helmets toward the latter and let Lester have his way. It's as close to the original vision of Superman II as anyone will ever get.
    I shall check it out. I found both were equally as goony and corny to be honest. I never once thought they were serious business by any means. The villains just tipped the scale in favour of the second for me.
  • Toy Story 3 will make you cry like a baby on multiple occasions. I'm completely serious, it's more emotional than the beginning of Up.
  • There are few movies that would not benefit from Jason Statham.
    Schindler's List?
  • There are few movies that would not benefit from Jason Statham.
    Schindler's List?
    There's only one way to find out.
  • edited June 2010
    1. There's only one way to find out.

Wow, I did not realize whaleshark already mentioned this..
    Post edited by thehollow89 on
  • Packing-my-shit-into-boxes tetris.
  • Toy Story 3 will make you cry like a baby on multiple occasions. I'm completely serious, it's more emotional than the beginning of Up.
    I cried at the ending. It was just...beautiful. We are witnessing something glorious in film and animation history with the conclusion of this trilogy. It was that great. I'm glad I brought home a Stitch plushie from college. :D
  • edited June 2010
    Toy Story 3 was truly incredible. I was so close to crying so many times. Best movie I have seen in years.

Also, Totoro cameo <3

[Edit] One other thing, I am very interested to hear how others are going to react to this movie, older and younger. This is going to sound really cheesy but, the thing is, this movie was pretty much <i>made for me and others in my age group. The main emotional pull that this movie has is that we grew up with these movies and now are facing the same conflicts and processes of growing that Andy is. I'm getting a little choked up even thinking about it, but the themes in this movie hit really, really close to home for me and everyone I know.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • [Edit] One other thing, I am very interested to hear how others are going to react to this movie, older and younger. This is going to sound really cheesy but, the thing is, this movie was pretty muchmadefor me and others in my age group. The main emotional pull that this movie has is that we grew up with these movies and now are facing the same conflicts and processes of growing that Andy is. I'm getting a little choked up even thinking about it, but the themes in this movie hit really, really close to home for me and everyone I know.
    Not that I have seen the movie yet, but isn't it pretty much made for anyone who has grown out of "toys".
  • [Edit] One other thing, I am very interested to hear how others are going to react to this movie, older and younger. This is going to sound really cheesy but, the thing is, this movie was pretty muchmadefor me and others in my age group. The main emotional pull that this movie has is that we grew up with these movies and now are facing the same conflicts and processes of growing that Andy is. I'm getting a little choked up even thinking about it, but the themes in this movie hit really, really close to home for me and everyone I know.
    Not that I have seen the movie yet, but isn't it pretty much made for anyone who has grown out of "toys".
    Both of you are correct, but there really seems to be a stronger emotional connection with people in our age group, Sail. We literally grew up with Andy. We knew the toys in the movies so well that it was like they were our toys (and to an extent, some of them were our toys).
  • You are totally correct, Li. After the movie I talked about that exact thing with someone.

It hit so close to home I said I miss my toys. Then someone told me, you miss playing like that. That's true too. [Basically how Bonnie played was similar to my style. I even received old toys in a similar way she did at the end of the movie, which made me cry. ] Good job, Pixar!
  • Dam it. After reading about so much lately I really wanna see Toy Story 3, but I'm afraid that my enthusiasm wont last for the time it takes to that movie get here. That happened with Up, wanted to see when Internet was talking about it, but when it came to theaters I didn't go to see it.
  • Dam it.
  • edited June 2010
    Goldeneye. I should watch that.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited June 2010
    Ninja Assassin drags a bit when there are not ninjas on screen. The CG work in the movie is a bit distracting. I had fun watching it, but I would not say it's a high quality movie.
    Post edited by Railith on
  • I completely agree with Sail's opinions on Toy Story 3 as it was a very beautifully made and well-thought out movie. I think it's one of the Holy Trilogies.
  • Ninja Assassin
    I always thought this title was redundant.
  • I always thought this title was redundant.
    The thing is about a ninja who targets other ninjas making him a ninja assassin.
  • edited June 2010
    I always thought this title was redundant.
    The thing is about a ninja who targets other ninjas making him a ninja assassin.
    But ninjas are assassins by default. That's why it's redundant. I understand the thing about him being an "assassin of ninjas", but still.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • But ninjas are assassins by default. That's why it's redundant. I understand the thing about him being an "assassin of ninjas", but still.
    It's better than "Ninja ninja". Or wait, no it's not.