This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Watched The Book Eli tonight. Talk about a surprise ending!
  • WatchedZardoz Starring Morgan Freeman and a different booktonight. Talk about a surprise ending!
  • I saw Prince of Persia and Jonna Hex this past weekend. They were both pretty terrible.

I'm glad my friends and I have taken to watching movies at the Alamo Drafthouse - alcohol makes bad movies entertaining.
  • I watched the new Alice in Wonderland last night. I remember liking it, but it's pretty telling that the only parts I can really recall now are the Cheshire cat scenes, and Johnny Depp dancing. But then, it was intended for an audience less than half my age.

The Book of Eli managed to slip under my radar, but it looks good, I'll probably check it out.
  • edited June 2010
    Toy Story 3 = awesome. Jeremy and I cried during the ending. And I also cried during the one scene where they all held hands. Trying to wipe your tears when you have 3D glasses on can be a bit distracting as well. I really enjoyed how they gave some Miyazaki props with the Totoro plushie in the movie.

Also the short featurette Night & Day was really good. Pixar always seems to do something different and cool each time. They seems to always set the precedence for animated features. However, seeing the preview for Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole looks pretty impressive. I will have to keep my eye out for that one.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
    It certainly looks pretty, but I doubt it will be any good. The only other movie the studio made was Happy Feet and that movie was utter shit.

Also, Despicable Me looked like it was going to be awesome back when the trailers were just Steve Carrell VS Jason Segel. Now that they have annoying child characters, I'm going to have to pass.
  • I just finished watching "Dororo", it was pretty good, very different from the manga and I could have done with a less emo Hyakkimaru. However, the ending was very Tezuka like and I enjoyed plenty. Though it should have being a trilogy instead of putting all the main story line in one movie.
  • Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
    It certainly looks pretty, but I doubt it will be any good. The only other movie the studio made was Happy Feet and that movie was utter shit.
    I think that should be magnified considering it is Zach Snyder holding the reins.
  • The Book of Eli managed to slip under my radar, but it looks good, I'll probably check it out.
    I was interested until I caught the scent of Jebus in it. I don't need more pro-Christian romanticism.
  • I was interested until I caught the scent of Jebus in it. I don't need more pro-Christian romanticism.
    I was on Gary Oldman's side the entire time, so that really changed the experience for me. The idea of the Bible being one of the most powerful weapons on the planet made the movie.
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2010
    I just came up with a good idea that I think would benefit this thread very much so. Sure we can talk about what we thought about the movie, but can words really convince others to see a movie based on what you thought of it (especially on a forum)? This is optional, but I think it would help in the long run; why don't we post trailers of whatever movie we saw, that way fellow forumites can decide for themselves if they want to see it or not?

12 Angry Men. That is all.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • It certainly looks pretty, but I doubt it will be any good. The only other movie the studio made was Happy Feet and that movie was utter shit.
    Happy Feet wasn't great, but it was entertaining. Also as Geofino stated, Zack Snyder is directing the film. You couldn't tell from all the slow-mo shots in the trailer? ^_~

I hope the movie is good. I would like to see other companies do animated features to be up to par with Pixar.
  • I always loved that play. Read it years ago. I might have to watch that at some point.
  • I remember seeing that in a logic course I took at summer camp. It's exaggerated, but it makes for good drama.
  • 12 Angry Men. That is all.
    You can't argue with that. Stop picking obviously good films, I want to see you review some obscure stuff.
  • I remember the episode of Doogie Howser M.D. where Vinnie was on a jury, and it was basically 12 Angry Men.
  • I'm thinking of doing a podcast exclusively about terrible and/or schlock movies. Black Dynamite has kind of precipitated the rise of this idea.
  • I saw Jonah Hex tonight...and subsequently wasted an evening. I knew nothing about Jonah Hex, and I gotta say I dig the style, setting, and concept greatly. Even though I had never read the comics or had no other prior knowledge; I really got the feeling that this was an extremely underwhelming attempt to bring Jonah Hex to the live-action medium of film. I am telling you all now, that everyone's assumptions about Megan Fox is entirely true: Nothing more than T&A and if Kate were to see this, she would be kicking and screaming about both the chauvinistic characterization and every amount of sexism she represents.
  • The Book of Eli managed to slip under my radar, but it looks good, I'll probably check it out.
    Allow me to answer EVERY SINGLE QUESTION IN THE MOVIE for you using two words - The Bible. Congratulations, you now know the whole plot of "The Book of Eli", AKA, Christian Zardoz.
    You can't argue with that. Stop picking obviously good films, I want to see you review some obscure stuff.
    That's one of my favorite movies ever. Just simply amazing.

I saw Grown-Ups at a Midnight Screening yesterday. It's seriously not as bad as it looks, it's okay. When it's just the five comedians shooting the shit and ripping on each other, it's very entertaining, but lots of the movie is filled with cliches towards families, marriage, outdoors and slapstick we've all seen before. But there's a good amount of surprises within the whole movie, like the attitudes towards some of the characters and the ending, but it still doesn't make it great. It works great as a family film or if you want to see Adam Sandler, but otherwise, it's just okay.
    Like?
  • Like?
    I think he wants you to review something he's never heard of.
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2010
    Like?
    Hence the request for clarification.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Like?
    Well he can't quite give you examples of he doesn't know of them himself.
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2010
    Like?
    Well he can't quite give you examples of he doesn't know of them himself.
    Okay here is something I am certain he has never seen. An absolutely spellbinding and fascinating documentary of Alfred Hitchcock entitled "Dial H for Hitchcock.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8372116763361270325
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Saw the Book of Eli. It wasn't awful, and as heavy-handed as the allegory could have been, it certainly wasn't "BIBLE SAVES WORLD" type of shit. I came out of it feeling like the quest he goes on had less to do with the book and more to do with saving what fragments of civilization were left, especially because of the Koran, Tanakh, and Torah in the section of the Alcatraz library they put the book in. I also felt pretty good about the fact that no one tries to dispute the big bad's (valid) claim that you can easily weaponize religion with enough ignorant and desperate people, as well as the fact that the only line that Eli really lays down clearly as being "from the book" was the Golden Rule, which has existed since Ancient Egypt.

Ultimately, it was pretty much Reverend Kenshiro Comes To Fallout, but that was okay. If there had been some giant scene where Oldman's Religious Weapon idea got shot down by Eli, I would have been all "Fuck this allegorical shit." However, the fact that the book is kept out of his reach seems to speak to the fact that the creators agreed with him to some extent, too, in that they also view religion as a potentially powerful weapon; they didn't try to sugar-coat how dangerous the Bible would be in the hands of the wrong individual. It was pretty well-played, significantly moreso than other similar movies.
  • @WindUpBird -- first I really wanted to see this movie, then I realized it was about the bible, and didn't want to see it. But I think you may have brought me back.
  • The Last Airbender Weaksauce. While not terrible, all the characters felt very one-dimensional at best, and about as deep as a sheet of paper. Sokka wasn't funny, the actress who played Katara was particularly bad, and most of the plot felt disjointed. Visually, it was spot on and very cool, the environments were beautiful, but it was all flash and very little substance. It was overall disappointing, because they had potential to do something really, really impressive and ended up with something entirely mediocre and milk-toast. It wasn't god-awful like, say, Twiglit, but it was definitely a below-average movie. Don't waste your time or money.

The Day The Earth Stood Still The new one, not the old one. Pretty boring, didn't feel connected to any of the characters, and didn't find most of the characters believable. Very meh.

What's Up Doc Very funny mad-cap comedy from 1972 that I really enjoyed despite my initial reservations. It had Barbara Streisand, whom I generally dislike for a variety of reasons, in one of her first roles in which she was really adorable, funny, and enjoyable to watch. This movie also had Madeline Khan in her debut role. The comedy is broad and fast, and made for a very light and funny movie. I recommend it.
  • The Last Airbender
    Eight percent.
  • Just got back from seeing Toy Story 3 with the family. I don't think I need to add anything that hasn't already been said. Loved it.