This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I watched Amelie tonight; it was a beautiful movie in every sense of the word. My strategy of watching movies with simple portraits of cute girls on the DVD cover hasn't failed me yet.
  • Watched Citizen Kane tonight to get it off my shame list. Excellent film. I don't agree with all those people who say it's the best movie ever, for the same reason I don't consider Thriller to be the greatest music video ever. But, it is a damn good movie with some of the best photography and set design I've seen.
  • Watched GI JOE last night. It was okaaay.... Baroness was hot.
  • I just What's Up Doc? (1972) and I have to say it made me laugh out loud more than any comedy I have seen within the past year.
  • Watched GI JOE last night. It was okaaay.... Baroness was hot.
    The GI JOE movie was a good "shut your brain off, eat your popcorn, and watch stuff blow up" movie. I'd watch it again if it was with a group of friends so we could rag on it.
  • I justWhat's Up Doc?(1972) and I have to say it made me laugh out loud more than any comedy I have seen within the past year.
    Peter Bogdanovich is the man! This is the same guy who made Paper Moon, so his credentials are in order.
  • Watched GI JOE last night.
  • Angels and Demons was entirely meh.
  • Angels and Demons was entirely meh.
    The book was better, if you can believe it.
  • The book was better, if you can believe it.
    I read the Da Vinci Code, I can't believe it.
  • The book was better, if you can believe it.
    I read the Da Vinci Code, I can't believe it.
    For what it's worth, the book wasn't a sequel. It was written before Da Vinci Code. It's not massively better than Da Vinci Code, but it's definitely a damn sight better than the movie was.
  • Watched High Fidelity today thanks to Hulu.

Grats to John Cusack and Jack Black in that film, because it was just fantastic to watch them perform in this, especially Cusack. I really like the movie because it gets deep into relationships and how breakups can affect people and how some people can't see their change, but at the same time, I felt a little iffy with the ending. But still, it's a great movie.
  • Since my wife has a 3-week break between jobs, we got cable back for the month (Cablevision lets you turn on/off with no contract commitment), and I've been recording the hell out of this one channel that seems to just constanstly run classic movies. In every aspect of media I always feel like I've consumed a ton but somehow missed out on the classics, so it's great to go back and enjoy some older stuff.

So far I've watched Planet of The Apes, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Poseiden Adventure, and The Island of Dr. Moreau. Funny enough I realize ALL FOUR of these have been remade, and from what I hear, poorly at that. I loved all of them and don't plan on seeing the remakes.
  • Planet of the Apes is not actually a remake of the classic movie, but just another movie based (perhaps even more loosely) on the book of the same name. There were however a number of sequels to the old movie made in the 70s, (Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, etc.), most of them (from 3rd movie on)chronicling the Apes rise to power (a subject that the book pretty much skimmed over), so you might want to catch those too.
  • I just saw Harry and the Hendersons for the first time since I was a child. It is not as good as I remember it. Ah, nostalgia, that rose tinted pair of sunglasses which always lead me astray.
  • Planet of the Apes is not actually a remake of the classic movie, but just another movie based (perhaps even more loosely) on the book of the same name. There were however a number of sequels to the old movie made in the 70s, (Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, etc.), most of them (from 3rd movie on)chronicling the Apes rise to power (a subject that the book pretty much skimmed over), so you might want to catch those too.
    As far as the sequels go, I'd say Escape From was the best. I was very ehh on Beneath because it just took what was a brilliant ending to the first and just milked it for all it was worth.
  • I finally saw Fight Club. There's a lot that I could say, like when I figured out the twist, or how the film resonated with me as a person, but I think the words "holy shit" are enough for now.
  • Snatch is a movie where Jason Statham doesn't drive cars and doesn't kill a single person.

It is one of the best films I have ever seen.
  • Fuck, I bought that movie over four months ago and I still haven't seen it. :(
  • I finally saw Fight Club. There's a lot that I could say, like when I figured out the twist, or how the film resonated with me as a person, but I think the words "holy shit" are enough for now.
    Yea, I felt the same way. That was a Damn good movie
  • It is one of the best films I have ever seen.
    Check out Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and its TV spinoff Lock, Stock...; Rock N Rolla is also right up that alley (They're all by Guy Ritchie). Just make sure you don't watch Revolver.
  • Click is a surprisingly good movie, which is a welcome surprise considering Adam Sandler's current track record.
  • Click is a surprisingly good movie, which is a welcome surprise considering Adam Sandler's current track record.
    Funny People was fucking awesome.
  • Funny Peoplewas fucking awesome.
    Although I agree with you, it's not really an Adam Sandler movie.
    Funny Peoplewas fucking awesome.
    Really? I thought the first half was good, but then it just became another film and petered out.

W just saw Cyrus. It was a nicely done film and one of the few I didn't mind paying admission for this past year.
    Funny Peoplewas fucking awesome.
    Really? I thought the first half was good, but then it just became another film and petered out.
    I do comedy. It's the comedian's comedy film.
  • I do comedy. It's the comedian's comedy film.
    I don't know about that, I found it kinda meh. It wasn't terrible, it just built up a good head of steam, but then just let it go on less than I expected out of it. It was average, not bad, not great, just average.
  • Snatch is the best film.
  • Finished watching Inglourious Basterds last night and then later watched the first TV movie of Lexx. Damn, CGI has come a long way since 1995.
  • Damn, CGI has come a long way since 1995.
    Back that thang up to The Last Starfighter or Tron and have thy socks blown away.