This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Yeah...Inception was pretty much amazing.
    Watching that tonight. I'm looking forward to it with good expectations. Chris Nolan is one of my favorite directors today, however I have yet to see Memento. It's on Netflix Streaming, but from what I understand you have to really pay attention, so that means I can't knit while watching this movie. -_-;;
    Watching that tonight. I'm looking forward to it with good expectations. Chris Nolan is one of my favorite directors today, however I have yet to see Memento. It's on Netflix Streaming, but from what I understand you have to really pay attention, so that means I can't knit while watching this movie. -_-;;
    Also going to go see it tonight. And yeah, if it's your first time watching Memento, you should probably give it your full attention. I personally think it's good enough that it would be hard not to.
  • Yeah, Inception was amazing. I think it's just about a perfect movie with great characters, great acting, an original and well-explored concept and it comes full circle at the ending. (But boy, all the debating about it...)
  • Yeah, Inception was amazing. I think it's just about a perfect movie with great characters, great acting, an original and well-explored concept and it comes full circle at the ending. (But boy, all the debating about it...)
    You can't leave out great set design, costuming, editing, and more. The only thing it is missing is that I don't know that it's going to end up being all that quotable.
  • edited July 2010
    Inception has a great cast that can just flat out act. They could have made an excellent movie out of a crap script, but instead they were handed a good one. The visuals in this film are great too and don't get in the way of the acting, they just complement it.

Leo DiCaprio is gold now. Only filmed 9 movies in the past 10 years (plus 1 small indie flick in 2001): Catch Me if you Can, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, Blood Diamond, Revolutionary Road, The Departed, Shutter Island, Inception. The only bad one was Body of LIes in 2008 and that was at least mediocre. Looks like he's playing J. Edgar Hoover in a Clint Eastwood directed film coming up in 2012, that should be interesting.

Also really surprised to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt doing such a great job with roles in this and 500 Days of Summer. Didn't expect the little kid from 3rd Rock from the Sun to be a serious actor. You don't see Jonathan Taylor Thomas doing this crap, do you?

I was also really happy to see Ken Watanabe in the movie. I absolutely loved his role in The Last Samurai, so I'm glad he got some more hollywood work.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited July 2010
    Inception has a great cast that can just flat out act. They could have made an excellent movie out of a crap script, but instead they were handed a good one. The visuals in this film are great too and don't get in the way of the acting, they just complement it.

Leo DiCaprio is gold now. Only filmed 9 movies in the past 10 years (plus 1 small indie flick in 2001): Catch Me if you Can, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, Blood Diamond, Revolutionary Road, The Departed, Shutter Island, Inception. The only bad one was Body of LIes in 2008 and that was at least mediocre. Looks like he's playing J. Edgar Hoover in a Clint Eastwood directed film coming up in 2012, that should be interesting.

Also really surprised to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt doing such a great job with roles in this and 500 Days of Summer. Didn't expect the little kid from 3rd Rock from the Sun to be a serious actor. You don't see Jonathan Taylor Thomas doing this crap, do you?

I was also really happy to see Ken Watanabe in the movie. I absolutely loved his role in The Last Samurai, so I'm glad he got some more hollywood work.
    To summerize, I describe Inception as "Hey, remember those people who are awesome but we all forgot how awesome they are? Yeah, they all got together and made a movie. It's as good as it sounds"
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • You don't see Jonathan Taylor Thomas doing this crap, do you?
    What, you didn't see I'll Be Home for Christmas?
  • Just saw Vanishing Point. Hell of a car chase that. But not as much awesome/minute as The Blues Brothers chases though. Kind of sad that I knew how it ended because of a music video though.
  • The only thing it is missing is that I don't know that it's going to end up being all that quotable.
    You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
    He worked with Nolan in Batman Begins as the fake Ra's Al Ghul.
  • I was also really happy to see Ken Watanabe in the movie. I absolutely loved his role in The Last Samurai, so I'm glad he got some more hollywood work.
    He was probably the best actor out of them, but I couldn't understand a fucking thing he said.
  • Joseph Gordon-Levitt is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors thanks to this role and I would even say Ellen Page fit her role rather well. I wasn't looking at the screen going "Oh look, it's Juno!" Credit also goes to Cillian Murphy and an EXTRA bonus for Tom Hardy. I loved every scene with his character.
  • Inception was pretty amazing, though the hype brought it up a little higher than it was. Maybe a lot of the people I know are just dumb, but I was under the impression that it would have some more difficult concepts. And while the acting was really good, the characterization was pretty lacking in a lot of areas. I know that the movie had to rush through at a good clip in order to get all the story in within a reasonable amount of time, but it would've been nice to get a little more non-plot scenes between the characters to get more of their personalities out.
  • And now I have just seen one of the worst movies of 2009...

Gentlemen Broncos, by Jared Hess. (The Director of Napoleon Dynamite) I can't honestly believe how terrible this movie is. I was on a FotC kick, and decided to see this movie for Jermaine Clement (And people are divided on it, IMDB-wise). Christ, this movie is awful. It's about the magical, weird world of Utah about an aspiring science fiction writer, who writes a horrible Sci-Fi story with his obsessive mother. Clement and Sam Rockwell are kind of watchable in this movie, but everything else just makes it so awful. Clement is walking throughout this movie doing a crappy Orson Welles-like voice and Sam Rockwell has to say this terrible dialogue about sewing his nutsack back together or talking like a homosexual. And you have to watch the worst kind of gross-out humor like a snake around someone's neck with explosive diarrhea or someone vomiting and then kissing with that person as they swallow the vomit. Not to mention someone with the creepiest fucking smile imaginable...

If anything, this movie teaches two specific lessons.
    1. Not everyone deserves to be an artist
    2. I bet this would be the perfect movie to torture Scrym with.
  • Inception was amazing.

I Sell the Dead was a bit slow but alright overall.
  • Inception was awesone. Saw it in IMAX. Good choice.
  • edited July 2010
    I watched Crank 2 last night. It was essentially the first movie but with better production values and slightly more shocking and depraved. I found it thoroughly enjoyable.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Last movie I saw was The Sorcerer's Apprentice. It wasn't half bad. The story was decent and anything with Alfred Molina gets an automatic +5 to classiness. The main character's Jerry Lewis impersonation got annoying at times, but I ended up liking him too. And of course there was Nicholas Cage, the pinnacle of acting technology. I actually think I'd like to see a sequel to it.

Hopefully going to see Inception soon. Heard nothing but good things about that one. Still kind of want to see A-Team too. Was that any good?
  • Still kind of want to see A-Team too. Was that any good?
    Mr. T turned down a cameo appearance. That speaks more for the movie then any review.

See Inception.
  • Mr. T turned down a cameo appearance. That speaks more for the movie then any review.
    Not really, Mr. T doesn't like violence.
  • Not really, Mr. T doesn't like violence.
    Mr T also rarely does his own stunts now, because he has T Cell lymphoma.
  • Sad to hear it wasn't liked. The trailer with a midair tank battle had me sold =(
  • A-Team was pretty freaking awesome, go see it.
  • If the first minute of Blade Runner doesn't knock your socks off, you aren't wearing any socks.
  • I heard an audio clip from the end of the movie, and just that made me tear up. Damn, I got to watch this movie again soon.
    Mr T also rarely does his own stunts now, because he has Mr. T Cell lymphoma.
    Mr T also rarely does his own stunts now, because he hasMr. T Cell lymphoma.
    Heh, nice, but I'm not really joking - in a rather horrible twist of fate, Mr. T really does have T Cell Lymphoma.
  • Salt was a lot of fun. Some nice twists.

Also, they showed a trailer for a movie that M Night is producing entitled "Devil." I don't know if the fact that he's just producing increases or decreases the likelihood of it being awful.
  • Going to see Iron Man 2 later. I think two bucks for admission is more than enough of a bargain.

• Also, they showed a trailer for a movie that M Night is producing entitled "Devil." I don't know if the fact that he's just producing increases or decreases the likelihood of it beingawful.
    HOW DOES HE KEEP GETTING WORK?!