This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

All bow before Akinator, the Web Genius!

Comments

• What makes Akinator truly powerful is massive amounts of reinforcement learning, as well as the mechanism for user addition of questions and answers.
    Akinator also breaks down pretty sadly on certain classes of answers that are very popular but difficult to differentiate. Male main characters from shonen fighting shows tend to confuse it.
  • Akinator also breaks down pretty sadly on certain classes of answers that are very popular but difficult to differentiate. Male main characters from shonen fighting shows tend to confuse it.
    I think when there are multiple extremely similar characters Akinator bails and picks the one that has been most frequently played on Akinator.
  • Ive tried Santa, Charlie Sheen and Gannondorf and all have worked.
  • edited March 2011
    Akinator also breaks down pretty sadly on certain classes of answers that are very popular but difficult to differentiate. Male main characters from shonen fighting shows tend to confuse it.
    I think when there are multiple extremely similar characters Akinator bails and picks the one that has been most frequently played on Akinator.
    Yes, but I doubt it was explicitly programmed to do so. Rather, it is simply the case that the reinforcement learning means that a character that has been played more will be more heavily weighted.

The issue Rym mentioned with shonen fighting shows is simply a matter of Akinator lacking the right questions, or not yet having trained those questions for those characters. Unless someone adds better questions in, there's only so much Akinator can do. Rym, can you give an example of this confusion? I'm interested in improving things.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • One thing I noticed only recently that really helps Akinator out is that when it makes a guess at the character, it doesn't actually count as a question. This is pretty crucial, since if this was not the case it would be rather inefficient for Akinator to attempt to guess the character early, as an attempted guess at the character gives Akinator much less information than pretty much any question it could ask. Without things being this way, Akinator would be better off only ever guessing after it had used up all its 40 questions.
  • For those of you not in the know, the Akinator resurgence here is most likely due to the recent Fast Karate episode in which Dave tests whether it can guess Treebeard.
  • edited March 2011
    I did listen to the FK episode, and I am the one who revived this thread, but I will admit that Rym and Scott pre-empted me with their mention of Akinator in the MLP thread.
    However, it could well be that Dave is the one who truly came before us all.
  • It could not get D from Vampire Hunter and it could not get the aliens from ID4.
  • For those of you not in the know, the Akinator resurgence here is most likely due to the recent Fast Karate episode in which Dave tests whether it can guess Treebeard.
    I honestly haven't listened to D&J; in a long time. I saw the Akinator app on my phone, and then went to see if it had ponies.
  • Aha! So the Akinator app pre-empted both Scott and Dave!
  • Aha! So the Akinator app pre-empted both Scott and Dave!
    I've had it on my phone for a long time. I just saw it while flipping through, and thought of ponies (because I can't stop thinking about ponies).
  • Damn. A coincidence, then. How lame.
  • Tyler, The Creator in 25 questions. Damn.
    "Is your character a rap singer? Does your character practice skateboarding? Was your character discovered recently? Is your character a teenager?" Hahahahaha
  • I don't get why sometimes it asks questions I've already answered in another way.
    "Is your character still alive"? - Yes
    "Has your character been dead for over 100 years?" .... O_o
  • edited March 2011
    I don't get why sometimes it asks questions I've already answered in another way.
    "Is your character still alive"? - Yes
    "Has your character been dead for over 100 years?" .... O_o
    It's likely to be a matter of insufficient training.
    Akinator does not actually understand what those questions mean. However, once it is established that "yes" to still alive correlates with a very high level of certainty to "no" for dead for over 100 years, Akinator should stop doing this.

On second thought, though, what if the character was resurrected after being dead for 1000 years?
  • It almost had Spiderman, but it asked is your character associated with an insect? I guess stupid say yes.
  • Well, I was able to stump it twice so far. The first time was Mark from the first season of the old PBS kid's science show 3-2-1 Contact. The second time was with Darien Lambert from the old sci-fi show Time Trax. I was surprised with how easily it was able to guess some of the other obscure characters I could think of, such as Roger Ramjet and Dr. Snuggles, though.
  • edited March 2011
    I was surprised to find that Hana from Tokyo Godfathers has only been guessed 20 times. That's less than Rym.
    Edit: Wow, Satoshi Kon has only been played 68 times.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited March 2011
    it got Jesus right and I had answered that it was a character that didn't exist ;)

Edit- it also got something I can't talk about right.

Edit 2- lookie here
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • It should have the moustache picture.
  • 40 questions to get Dave Riley.
  • Yet only 30 to get Joel.
  • In 13 guesses... and then again in 4 guesses.

• Give or take. I had the same character in mind a few times in a row, and Akinator seemed to jump a few steps.
  • Just stumped it with Tsuyuri from Doujin Work. She didn't even make the list after it gave up.
  • The work it knows Joel White from is Violent Fist Joelkaizer. I find that hilarious.
  • All the way to 28 to get Scott.
  • Beat him with HUmar and FOnewm from Phantasy Star Online, even though he knew who they were.
  • edited March 2011
    I honestly don't find it all that hard to beat personally. I just find the most obscure characters and people that I can find and usually I can fool it. For example, when I tried to get Warren Spector, it gave me Cliffy B. somehow. Looking at the results afterwards it also said I answered all the questions correctly for Warren Spector anyways so yay.
    Post edited by magnusrex on