This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things that suck about your family

edited February 2010 in Everything Else
I'm sorry to make a negative counterpart to an existing thread, but I'm just going RAARRGH right now.

I love my family. They're great. My mother is the best mom in the world (in my opinon, k?) who loves us all unconditionally and my sister is an intelligent and creative young woman that I can have great talks with. When we're all together, we can have a really good time.

My brother is an idiot.

I have two brothers, but the youngest is the one who's the idiot right now. He's going through his "rebellious teenage bullshit" phase now to a degree that's just plain inhuman to my mother. He (possibly intentionally) failed out of high school so that he could be placed in the "special" high school where the rest of his punk idiot friends go. He doesn't go to class unless he feels like it. He's had the cops over at our house multiple times for shooting out our windows with his all-too-realistic replica guns. He treats my mother like the scum on the bottom of his pretentious army boots. He has the most retarded arguments with her, usually started over a misplaced word in a sentence on her part. He condescends her down to the very tone of his voice. He's physically assaulted her at least twice, most recently slamming her against a wall, being too righteously furious to care about her healing broken ribs, arm, and knee from a car accident earlier in the year. (When asked later by her if he thought he was justified in assaulting his own mother, he paused to think about it for a moment before answering "Under the circumstances, yes." The circumstances were "Your friends need to go home and you can't go with them.")

He disappears for hours and refuses to let her know what he's doing. He nearly gave himself alcohol poisoning the other night, coming home in such a stupor that he could no longer stand or form coherent sentences. The other night, while my mom was actually taking an evening away from home with friends, he decided to "practice" swordfighting with one of his friends USING REAL SWORDS, and slashed his face open with his own sword. He missed slashing through his eye by about a millimeter. No, he has no fencing or sword experience. He just thinks he's that awesome.

The best part is that he plans to join the military after school. He thinks that it will magically "straighten him out". I guess every day before military discipline is asshole Mardi Gras then. At this point I would actually love to see a drill sergeant kick his ass.

tl;dr I can't stand what my brother does to my mother's life. I love my mother so much and I hate to see her suffer. No lecture from any of us will change what he does, no amount of stress or pain that he causes her will get him to see beyond himself. I feel like there's so little that I can do to help her, that one of these days he's going to do something terrible to himself or her and there's nothing I can do about it.

So does anyone else have a particularly shitty family member that they wanna vent about?

Comments

• Your mom should have called the cops and charged him with assault. No joke.
  • So does anyone else have a particularly shitty family member that they wanna vent about
    Nope, compared with that all is hunky dory for me. My mom is overprotective of my brother and I to a fault, but we no longer live at home so the problem is solved now.
  • It could be worse your brother could be going through a heroin addiction. That's what my brother has put my parents through. He still isn't straight yet either and he is 25. It's an odd coincidence though. He is also considering joining the military. Of course I personally think he won't follow through with it.
  • My stepsister. I have two, but the younger of the two (still older than me) has too many problems.

Her Senior year of high school, she randomly decided to stop trying, taking like, 2-3 classes and getting horrendous grades. This blew her chances to go to Film School, like she wanted, so she went to Community College. While at community college, she repeatedly failed classes and drove up massive overcharge debts on her credit card. She was irresponsible, bought stuff with money she didn't have from the jobs she didn't have. Ultimately, she decided to drop out of community college and continue bumming off of my mom and stepdad.

Then she got pregnant, and had an abortion. Which my parents still never told my older brother about...

My stepsister's rich mom paid for her abortion in order to keep it quiet, and keep her status, because she's the County Executive. She finally gets a job, then decides she wants to move out, even though she has a very low income. Her mom, wanting her to become independent, puts down the lease on her apartment, where my stepsister (and as far as I can tell her boyfriend who got her pregnant) live to this day. Now she's trying to get back into film school, even though the chances they'll accept someone like her are low, and she has almost no money to pay for it. She has straightened out a little, but up until that point, she was treating my mom and stepdad like crap all the time and being a terrible person.

I love her, but I swear she's such a spoiled brat. Always has been, always will be.
  • My father is a preacher. That can be awkward.
  • My uncle is an alcoholic. As in, he gets home from work and gets drunk, every day, to hide from the miserable ruins of his life.

My dad died in 2004. That sucks. Just a bit.

Otherwise, things are pretty good. I don't have a ton of family, so the drama is minimal.
  • Your mom should have called the cops and charged him with assault. No joke.
    Yeah, I'm with this. If you have hit that point beyond family where you will not give them any more exceptions, you treat them like a regular horrible person and sick the cops on their asses. Assault is too much.

I'll update, just need to percolate about my family for a bit.
  • While I am sure there are plenty of issues with my family, I've never really experienced any of it. My immediate family is a true blessing compared to most in this world. Both of my parents grew up in broken homes, so they swore to never make their kids go through that (and after 27 years, they haven't). They were also pretty hard on me as the first born to be responsible and independent, and my younger sister looked up to me her whole life, so she's also turning out pretty well, though with a few more rough edges than me. Not to say that she is bad, not at all, she has just made more bad decisions in her life, so she's ended up having to turn to our parents more than I have, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

The rest of my whole family, I can't really speak for, since they all live far enough away that I only see them on holidays. As far as I know, though there have been plenty of squabbles among my extended family, the people who are around are generally good people. And for the families that did have a lot of issues, they have been able to resolve them over time.

The only real drama that my immediate family has really faced was just in the last few months. I had mentioned on another thread a while back that one of my sister's best friends was kicked out of her house because neither of her parents wanted to care for her. Her mother absolutely hates her, so she was sent to her father's to live, who willingly did so until she turned 18, at which point she got the "you're old enough to fend for yourself" excuse for sending her back to WA. She tried to live with her mother again, but she was too busy with her new man and refused to take her back. So my sister and parents agreed to let her stay in our house until she was able to get back on her feet.

She worked for the spring and summer of last year, and then enrolled in community college for the fall quarter. Unfortunately, with the new year my sister had to go back to college too, leaving her friend very much alone from a friendship standpoint. I don't think my sister realized how dependent her friend was on her presence, and it only took a few weeks for her to resort to drugs to get by. It slowly became an addiction and my parents were forced to give her the ultimatum of either sobering up or finding somewhere else to stay (mostly because she was compromising my family's safety).

I don't know all the details, but she did end up going to rehab, and is currently living with her mother again. Hopefully she will be able to become more independent and find a goal to strive for. So, in this case, it sucks that we weren't able to help her as much as she needed.
  • It could be worse your brother could be going through a heroin addiction. That's what my brother has put my parents through. He still isn't straight yet either and he is 25.
    He'll probably never straighten out completely. Heroin is the worst thing on earth. The aforementioned alcoholic uncle is a "recovered" heroin addict; he just replaced it with booze.
  • Brother has done the same with pills and god knows what else.
  • For the most part any relative that made my life a hardship or depressing is dead. Forever.

Now that I'm an adult I don't have to deal with certain members that berate me. The only other thing that sucks is my sister sometimes, but she's a mentally challenged schizophrenic on a good drug at the moment. Can't say it sucks since she can't help it. Or I think it's a good drug. Depends on the day.
  • edited February 2010
    Damn, Tsundere, when I went through my rebellious stage I became an atheist and started listening to rap music. I hope the dumb bastard gets his head straight, for the sake of his mother if nothing else.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • My immediate family is actually pretty great. Some of my extended family has issues, but I don't associate with them much, so I can't really complain - particularly in comparison with some of the descriptions posted above.
    Also, Pete, you made me cry. I love you, my dear friend.
  • Nobody in my family associates with any of the crazy people we may be related to by nature. Anyone who sucks, we just don't talk to. I have seen a few people change and drift in or out. Pretty sure my mom didn't associate at all with her brother during a time when he was nutty. Now he's less nutty, but not 100%, so they're cool now.

The worst we have to deal with is one of my mom's cousins, who is a crazy Orthodox Jew. He's an OK guy, but he cares more about observing religious laws than spending time with relatives he rarely sees. It's kind of funny because his sisters are liberal hippy-ish types. One is a geologist in California, the other is a librarian in Maine. They're smart, cool, and hardly religious at all. To make it a little more weird, the father of those three children, my mother's mother's brother, was one of the greatest human beings I have ever known personally.
  • My mom and dad are generally great. It's my extended family that sucks.

My first aunt is an alcoholic. She married a much older, relatively wealthy man who soon fell ill and lived for several painful years with his leg amputated. My uncle was not a man whom I remember fondly, he was never a terribly nice person. That's when her drinking and smoking took over. Her face is perpetually bright red because of it.

My second is probably the most naive, gullible, and poorly educated people I know. To give you an idea of how clueless she is, she recently tried to read the story of Sodom and Gomorrah to my four-year-old cousin Kate, straight from the Bible and complete with her explanation of what everything meant. Her mother, my third aunt, was absolutely furious at her. If you didn't make the assumption already, my second aunt converted to Evangelical Christianity when she met her husband.

My third aunt, the one with the kids, is obsessive and worrisome to point of insanity. She buys into everything she can that she thinks will make her kids more intelligent. Everything from Baby Einstein to playing Mozart as they sleep to starting them on piano lessons and foreign languages by the age of two.

Needless to say, I don't enjoy the quarterly family gatherings. It's one thing I will be avoiding as soon as I no longer am living at home.
  • Anyone who sucks, we just don't talk to.
    THIS!
  • Well, since my mother got divorced 14 years ago I have talked with pretty much nobody on my fathers side. They are pretty much all white trash. Except for one of my uncles. He's a bit white trash, but overall a cool dude and a car mechanic :)

Other than that, maybe my 4 month old niece and nephew who are as 4-month-olds are: Screaming at the top of their lungs half the time. But that isn't their fault, its nature's, and I still love them :)
  • edited February 2010
    I like my family a lot. I have, like, zero bad things to say about my immediate family, which consists of an Art Girl feminist mom, my computer geek science dad, and a beautiful and super smart sister who is in Medical School.
    Extended family wise, my dad's side lives in Michigan and is small, white bread, and somewhat conservative (which is fail, but while I argue with them, they are not crazy-crazy conservative types, merely typical suburban Republicans.)
    My mom's side is a huge family of eight kids and many extended friends and relations. Most of them are artists in some form or another. I love going to family gatherings, sitting around the big table, with dogs, loud talking, and wine. The problem is, despite them all being talented, every one of them seems to have hit some sort of stumbling block. Take my uncle. He was a graphic artist/comic artist in Chicago for many years, big into the punk scene and theater. He was the one who bought me my first manga, and we geek out over animation and comic stuff together all the time. His stories of urban life kind of inspired me as a kid to want to be an artist in a big city. However, around the time he was 40, he burnt out and moved to Rochester to live in my Grandad's attic. He had broken both wrists falling on some ice at a baseball game in Chicago, and since then he hasn't done a lot. Almost every one of my relatives on that side has a similar story of missed potential. It is like some sort of cautionary tale for me, writ large in my DNA. That is the fail of my family. Too much wasted talent.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • On my side, I'm the black sheep of the family, everyone in my family (mothers side) is successful, they are all lawyers, microbiologists, CS, etc. I'm the only college dropout (due to some economic problems but that goes way back), 27 and still living at my moms house (again there is a reason for that), dead end job as a graphic designer, with delusions of grandeur when it comes to my own skills and aspirations (I also make up excuses for stuff).
  • The best part is that he plans to join the military after school. He thinks that it will magically "straighten him out". I guess every day before military discipline is asshole Mardi Gras then. At this point I would actually love to see a drill sergeant kick his ass.
    I figured I'd comment on this real quick since my brother in law is a marine recruiter. You should mention to your brother that the military has got super picky since things started going better overseas and the economy tanked. They are not letting people join if they fail a class in high school and other things like that because they have so many applicants that they can be extremely picky (as opposed to the bush years when they let everyone in). So your brother better learn that if he has any black spots on his record he will be screwed.
  • The best part is that he plans to join the military after school. He thinks that it will magically "straighten him out". I guess every day before military discipline is asshole Mardi Gras then. At this point I would actually love to see a drill sergeant kick his ass.
    I figured I'd comment on this real quick since my brother in law is a marine recruiter. You should mention to your brother that the military has got super picky since things started going better overseas and the economy tanked. They are not letting people join if they fail a class in high school and other things like that because they have so many applicants that they can be extremely picky (as opposed to the bush years when they let everyone in). So your brother better learn that if he has any black spots on his record he will be screwed.
    Why not send him to millitary school?
  • edited February 2010
    I'm not going to get into it in detail, but the tip of the iceberg is that I absolutely cannot invite Daddy to my wedding, and I don't know if Mama would want to go either.

My parents are fairly freshly separated.
    Daddy has a lot of problems and I worry about him.
    The middle sister has a lot of issues with responsibility and anger management. I worry about her but I'm also still mad about an incident that happened recently. I don't know if she can be my maid of honor anymore. Some of you know about this.

My two littlest sisters are GREAT, even though they're teenagers. I think they're keeping Mama afloat.

They all love me, and I love them. Unfortunately, most of them are at least a little bit broken right now, and I don't know if Daddy or middle sister will ever be truly ok...

And there's absolutely nothing I can do about it except call now and then. Sometimes I feel guilty about accepting so much money for gradschool tuition when I can hardly do anything to help make things better. I feel bad about being the only one in my family that is free. I offered to take leave from school for a while to help out, but Mama said she just wants me to live my life and do the best I can; that my success will be her success as a parent.

@Judith.
    That sword story was shocking, initially. I mean, it's good he didn't get his eye, but it's still worrisome what he might do in the future. But then you got to this detail, "Yeah, he redrew his own sword back too far and cut his face open." Maybe I shouldn't have, but I laughed. I mean, that's so idiotic it's comical. That was similar to the guy who set his face on fire by failing at drinking a flaming shot.
    I'm so sorry for your mom. We should go visit her again this week.
    Post edited by Nillia on
  • This is, by far, the most depressing thread on the forum.
  • This is, by far, the most depressing thread on the forum.
    It's a bit of group therapy, though. "Life sucks for everyone" is cold comfort, but it helps a lot.
  • It's a bit of group therapy, though. "Life sucks for everyone" is cold comfort, but it helps a lot.
    Just another reminder that you are not special.
  • You know that "Those Stupid Political E-mail's thread" that's all sent to me and half believed by my dad. (but don't get me wrong he's the best dad you can have)
  • My mom's side of the family is pretty well off, but my dad's side has some pretty weird stuff going on. There is this one messed up thread starting with one of my aunts. Growing up she was your average messed up teenager, ran away from home, got preggers early, etc. Her daughter, my first cousin, also got preggers early. Her daughter, my second cousin, got preggers in 8th grade and to this date has had 4 kids with more than one father (and she is my age, 23). My first cousin also did something very shocking. Recently she and my other aunt's husband started an affair. They may not have been blood related, but it was still just sick. I feel sorry for my other aunt because she had to divorce her husband, and she also recently went through breast cancer and other stuff. So far I am the golden child of that side of the family because I went to college (and graduated) and haven't gotten preggers yet. Although, ironically, I bet if they found out I'm atheist, they would all shun me (they are all super southern baptists).
  • Man, Lyddi, That side of the family needs to learn the term conception. I mean your aunt is a great great grandmother at probably 40ish if I got my math right.
  • Man, Lyddi, That side of the family needs to learn the term conception. I mean your aunt is a great great grandmother at probably 40ish if I got my math right.
    Actually she is a great grandmother. My own great grandmother, who died recently, was a great great great grandmother because of them. I thought that was kind of neat, however messed up.
  • That side of the family needs to learn the term conception
    No, they've got the conception part down. They need to learn "contraception."