This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• Core Worlds Expansion! Reading through the changes to this game and I'm super excited to try it out.
  • Bought the Eclipse expansion. Read the rules. Holy shitballs.

All I'm saying is Antimatter Splitter. Your argument is invalid.

I need to learn how to play this game so I can better compare it to Clash of Cultures.

I'm not shelling out for it until I know it is worth it, and I know it will actually get used. As it stands Eclipse itself is not played all that often.
  • If they print enough copies that it goes for ~$25 on Amazon at some point, do snag it. Some of the changes are really just "fixes" to the base game to make it a little better. I paid for it, but you are totally justified to say fuck that to $40 for it.

I'm not shelling out for it until I know it is worth it, and I know it will actually get used. As it stands Eclipse itself is not played all that often.
    That's all you, brah. Get you and Rym together and play. A-duh.

I'll bring it this weekend. You can judge for yourself. Ancient dreadnoughts, yo. Shit's terrifying.

• I'm really digging the Ticket to Ride Africa map. Played last night for the first time. It's just got a really nice layout with a few quirks. I also had an easier time picking out cities I'd never heard of based on how the dots are spaced out. Sometimes in Norway or Asia the game can get slowed down when a player can't figure out which city is which, even with the diagrams on the cards.

The big twist is that you can collect terrain cards in addition to (and in the same way as) your normal train cards. Terrain cards represent 2 or 3 colors at once, and can be played along with a set of train cards to double your points that turn. BUT you can only play the terrain card(s) if you have the most of that type out of all players. It's interesting. Kept the game fresh.
  • I saw Kotaku run an article about the best board games of 2012. Some of them were published in 2011, but I'll give them a pass because this is my new elevator pitch for Eclipse:
    Here's a genre that defines itself as being ponderous, suddenly stripped down to players snatching precious planets from one another with the cunning and bitterness of hobos brawling over lustrous pennies.
    Only s/planets/monoliths/g
  • I saw Kotaku run an article about the best board games of 2012. Some of them were published in 2011, but I'll give them a pass because this is my new elevator pitch for Eclipse:
    Here's a genre that defines itself as being ponderous, suddenly stripped down to players snatching precious planets from one another with the cunning and bitterness of hobos brawling over lustrous pennies.
    Only s/planets/monoliths/g
    City of Horror? Really?

• I colour photocopied a second set of the neutral cards in my Netrunner base set, so that we can have 4 people play out of the box.

It will do, until I can get everyone addicted enough to buy their OWN set, which by the look of it, won't be long :)

I love how card based games are so cheap. Such a low barrier to entry.
  • I colour photocopied a second set of the neutral cards in my Netrunner base set, so that we can have 4 people play out of the box.

It will do, until I can get everyone addicted enough to buy their OWN set, which by the look of it, won't be long :)

I love how card based games are so cheap. Such a low barrier to entry.
    Have you seen the new cards in the second Data Pack? Jinteki is getting some pretty awesome cards!

• edited December 2012
    2nd data pack? Are there spoilers up? I have the first data pack but haven't played with it yet, still getting a feel for the base set. Trying to get everyone hooked first :)
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • I'd like to ask 2 questions of y'all. They are similar but different. Any answers appreciated in advance!

1) What are your general feelings on auction games?

2) What auction mechanics do you enjoy?
  • Eclipse Pirates (syndicate) are a beautiful beautiful thing.
  • 2nd data pack? Are there spoilers up? I have the first data pack but haven't played with it yet, still getting a feel for the base set. Trying to get everyone hooked first :)
    New identity, agenda, and operation for Jinteki:

http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3833

• edited December 2012
    2nd data pack? Are there spoilers up? I have the first data pack but haven't played with it yet, still getting a feel for the base set. Trying to get everyone hooked first :)
    New identity, agenda, and operation for Jinteki:

http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3833

I love how the identities change the feel of your deck and the way you would want to build it. New cards are great but a new identity is even better.

Trick of Light seems very good.

• Just got the first expansion. Why are there three copies of the new corporation identity card in there?
  • Just got the first expansion. Why are there three copies of the new corporation identity card in there?
    We got our's yesterday too and noticed there are 3 Whizzards. Very odd.
    There are three of everything. It actually costs more money and wastes resources to only print one identity since the cards are made on sheets of 60. Even if they only printed one identity, the leftover cardstock would just go to waste.
  • edited January 2013
    Just got the first expansion. Why are there three copies of the new corporation identity card in there?
    There are three of everything. It actually costs more money and wastes resources to only print one identity since the cards are made on sheets of 60. Even if they only printed one identity, the leftover cardstock would just go to waste.
    Yep, that seems to be what I have read as well. You still get 20 individual cards to mess around with, even if one or two are identities.

Love the Morning Star quote:

"Weaponizing the heavens, one star at a time."
  • I'd like to ask 2 questions of y'all. They are similar but different. Any answers appreciated in advance!

1) What are your general feelings on auction games?
    2) What auction mechanics do you enjoy?
    I have very diverse tastes, and it sometimes makes it hard for me to identify what I DON'T like, but auction mechanics are one of them.

I will start out by saying that there are exceptions to every rule, but as a generality, I see auction mechanics in a game as lazy. They take a point where a game needs balance and wedge in an auction, which is a game unto itself. This is the point when players at the table who are really strong metagamers start to shake with glee.

One example of really dumb auctions in a game is the Tales & Legends expansion cards in Small World.

One example of a game with auctions that I LOVE is Power Grid. What makes me still love Power Grid even though I dislike auctions? Maybe the structure of the market. Maybe the fact that it's not a spontaneous single auction, but a structured turn where everyone gets to have an auction. These sorts of things add stronger context to the auctions and help you plot your bids vs. expected returns.

• How broadly are we defining auction games and auction mechanics? Power grid is pretty explicit. Poker is less explicit. Risk is even less explicit.
  • I'm mainly interested in "Choose a thing. All players then bid my some predetermined rules as to how that thing is bought at auction. Winner pays and gains said thing."

As to mechanics, one example would be pass and out auctions. I'm not a huge fan of that style of auction but I know some who love it.
  • Since I see Rym tweeted of his galactic victory shared with Scott, and there seems to be BGG threads raising these questions right now regarding the alliance rules in Eclipse, I'm curious if anyone has anything interesting to say regarding some elective shared victory edge cases:

1) Lead player has such an advantage he can kingmake any other player simply by choosing to ally with them.
    2) Strongest share of players band together turning a competitive game into a practical guarantee of victory.

(1) isn't really much of a concern to most people, but it does strike me as being a rather hollow victory, at the least for the person brought in.

(2) is pure play-to-win, but in general I'd prefer to have to fight for it and I value a solo victory ever-so-slightly more than a shared victory. If the choice is between shared victory and losing, always go shared. If the choice is between shared victory and solo victory though, I have some debates about how much I should attempt to increase the margin/opportunity of victory versus keeping the opportunity for the slightly more valuable solo-win.
  • Has anyone tried the Penny Arcade gamers vs evil game yet? I recently got the ios app and really like it. I'm thinking of buying the actual game.

I've played almost every deck building game and this one is just as good if not better. At first there doesnt seem to be much strategy but after a few plays the depth of the game slowly shows. I also really like the boss and hero card mechanics. They add a lot to the genre.
  • The expansion has a broken card. I forget what it was. It's ok. Stay with the app for now, imo.

Also, I've been meaning to post about the games I played on New Years, but been too busy.

I played some Cthulhu type game where it's co-op, like Arkham Horror, but with just cards, dice with special symbols, and what not. It's ok.

Saw my friends play Marvel Legendary. It looked cool enough for me to buy. I bought it and didn't like it at first because I accidentally played with a hand of 5 and not 6. It's a pretty fun game. More solid than Ascension.

Also purchased Alien Frontiers. Will be getting the upgrade pack and expansions soon enough. I still prefer Kingsburg, but it's definitely still a great game. It also finally got me to play the iOS app. They need online play. For reals.

Also finally played Smallworld: Underground after owning it for over a year. I like the special items you can earn in the game. It didn't take anything away from the normal game, but fun with the new races/abilities.

I did some thinking, overall I think one of my favorite games is 7 Wonders with all the expansions. I look forward to the new set of Wonders coming out this year. I've been playing the 2 player advanced version vs. Jeremy with an extra city being played. We've basically figured out once you learn what strategy your opponent is doing, when it's your turn to choose what card the extra city is going to make, have them make the card that messes with your opponent's strategy.
  • Had another couple over last night for some games. Was a good time.

Ugg-Tect: A team game where on person looks at a blueprint and instructs the team to build a structure out of blocks and dowels. Communication is limited to a set list of caveman language words and gestures, as well as beating people over the head with an inflatable spiked club. This brings up all the usual complaints about language rules, but it's such a light and silly game that we played along and had a lot of fun. I'd play again.

Love Letter: Very simple card game (there are only 16 cards). This is a really good starter/filler. Basically it's a hidden role game where you have to figure out who other people are. On each turn you draw a new role and can only keep one of the two. The one you discard triggers a certain affect, usually giving you a chance to knock a player out if you think you know what their current role is.

King of Tokyo: One of the better push-your-luck dice games I've played, and this one has an awesome theme. Feels like it really needs an expansion to make all the monsters have individual powers, though, and wouldn't you know, such a thing exists. It's highly rated as well so may have to buy it.

Factory Fun: This is a game my wife picked out on Amazon when she had a gift card b/c it looked like fun to her. This was a complete dud. Picture something on the complexity level of power grid, but instead of auctioning off the power plants, you flipped over 1 plant per player, simultaneously, and then it was a race to grab the one you want. It's like Power Grid mixed with Jungle Speed. It's the chess boxing of board games. It might even sound interesting on paper, but it really just does not work.
  • Played CAH last night with some friends of the family. It was the first game I had played where I was the only one who could get past the shock humor. Now I understand why so many people don't like that game.
  • The expansion has a broken card. I forget what it was. It's ok. Stay with the app for now, imo.

Also, I've been meaning to post about the games I played on New Years, but been too busy.

I played some Cthulhu type game where it's co-op, like Arkham Horror, but with just cards, dice with special symbols, and what not. It's ok.

Elder Signs?

Played it myself the other day and found it rather dull, not even the Cthulhu theme could save it. Just roll the dice and hope the right symbols come up.