This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• Just got my hands on a copy of Trophy Buck Hunter: Dice Game by Steve Jackson Games. It is probably the most realistic dice-based simulation of shooting at and potentially hitting a deer with a bullet that I have ever experienced.
  • FFG started previewing the fifth Netrunner data pack yesterday, convincing me that I'd never be able to keep up with an LCG. I would still like to play around with the base game, though.
  • edited January 2013
    FFG started previewing the fifth Netrunner data pack yesterday, convincing me that I'd never be able to keep up with an LCG. I would still like to play around with the base game, though.
    As an ex Magic player, I still find the idea of essentially buying ONE booster pack a month that has every card I need, quite appealing :)

I don't mind the "trickle" of cards. I just helps to keep it fresh. I like this idea more than, say, a NEW full expansion set, with all the Genesis cycle in one fat box, 6 months later. (at a cost of approx $60)

I think it's an experiment. Cheap little hits, as opposed to "Seaside" or "Prosperity" :)
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • I hope conventions start to have Netrunner tournaments and such.
  • edited January 2013
    I don't think anybody will deny that LCG > CCG, I'm just lamenting that since I tend to go full-bore or nothing on stuff, I still don't want to let myself really get into one.

Scott, I'm sure you won't have a problem with that. Fantasy Flight knows they have some hits on their hands right now (X-Wing and Netrunner) that can both be evergreen products, so they're rolling out huge organized plan initiatives. That might start at the store level, but it'll keep everyone playing competitively, and they'll ask for (and receive) those big con tournament events.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I just hopped into Netrunner, and I absolutely love the concept of it. I look forward to future events, and I truly hope to see this game grow as large as any one of the big 3 TCGs.
  • I own netrunner. I've only been able to play two games of it. It's so rare that I only need a two player game.
  • Tried to play Axis and Allies Global. Not a good game to play with rules lawyers. It ended up being set-up, everyone else trying to figure out minute details that didn't impact their turns, and then me leaving half way through the first turn. All that took place over the course of three hours. They're still playing the first turn as I type.
  • edited January 2013
    Tomorrow is my groups last two Risk Legacy games before the winner is declared. I'm currently the favorite with at least a 96% chance of victory. Thinking about a bottle of champagne to celebrate my illustrious conquest.

Also going to follow this up with weekly eclipse hopefully.

Someone needs to publish a couple more good campaign board games like Legacy. My group totally digs that dynamic.

Also I dream of a 9 player eclipse game. Sadly it's not worth a whole PAX day to do it. Maybe some other con/thing will open up the opportunity.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • edited January 2013
    Tried to play Axis and Allies Global. Not a good game to play with rules lawyers. It ended up being set-up, everyone else trying to figure out minute details that didn't impact their turns, and then me leaving half way through the first turn. All that took place over the course of three hours. They're still playing the first turn as I type.
    That game is insanely complicated. The rules tacked on top of normal A&A, with declarations of war and different rules if you are/aren't at war are nuts. I played Global almost 2 years ago, it took 11 hours. The only thing that kept us going at 3AM was putting in Black Dynamite for viewing entertainment when it wasn't your turn.

Also, to keep things entertaining, my wife made chocolate mustaches on sticks. If you declared war, you had to hold a mustache up, issue a formal declaration of war in an old-timey voice, and then eat your mustache.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • So, having played Power Grid a second time, I'm liking it. Pretty terrible early game positional heuristics, but a solid game.

Now I just need to figure out how to rebox giant swaths of games. Two dominion sets, OotS, Dixit, and CAH all need new boxes. Any advice?

• Now I just need to figure out how to rebox giant swaths of games. Two dominion sets, OotS, Dixit, and CAH all need new boxes. Any advice?
    I am doing a panel on this
  • For card games it's pretty simple. Get thee to the local comic & card shop, buy one of those cheap ass white boxes.
  • For teh hard corez, get a part time job at the container store. I know 2 people who have done this expressly for the purpose of getting mad discounts on storage solutions for their games. And quit after about 3 months.
  • Made just over $400 selling off games from my collection yesterday, almost exclusively unsolicited review copies I never opened, or duplicates of good games that I scooped up on clearance for $2 over the past year.

Then proceeded to spend $321 of that buying the super-insane-crazy-deluxe version of Small World. Whoops!

• You are still $79 up though
  • How/where did you sell them?
  • edited January 2013
    BoardGameGeek Geeklist auction

The invoicing and billing process is a pain in the ass but I am happy with the value I got. Sold plenty of games that are absolute shit for $10, and plenty of good games for over $20.

Unless you are selling a massive lot, I would say just go eBay. Listing an item takes 20 second with a smartphone, and they take care of almost all the billing steps.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I have so many thoughts on this thread, many constructive, some not.

What I really just want to get out is that no, you don't always have to take the moral high ground. It IS OK to laugh at this lady. Personally, I think she's probably an a bad parent, but on one hand I do completely understand that these games, when presented to people with zero gaming experience and w/o a teacher, can be damn intimidating to the average person.

There are larger industry problems here, and our touted crop of "gateway games" doesn't fly in the above scenario. Things can be done to fix it, but that's a larger conversation. Now, everyone on BGG/Twitter/G+ is getting into love machine hug mode now and saying feel bad for her. I say it's OK to laugh.
  • Stupid people exist. News at 11.
  • Stupid people exist. News at 11.
    THANK YOU SIR

• I often have problems, even in my group, with games that sometimes fly over people's heads. There are some people we straight up try to avoid playing anything more complex than Cards Against Humanity with because she ends up dragging down the game. That said, she's a very smart person in every other aspect of the world. I think there are just some people for whom game rules are just difficult to understand, regardless of any of their other smarts.
  • Yes, but the internet love machine today has decided that those people do not exist. If we were all nicer people, and thought of new, innovative ways to produce, package, and theme our games, then every man, woman, and child on this earth would be going home to play a board game tonight.
  • I often have problems, even in my group, with games that sometimes fly over people's heads. There are some people we straight up try to avoid playing anything more complex than Cards Against Humanity with because she ends up dragging down the game. That said, she's a very smart person in every other aspect of the world. I think there are just some people for whom game rules are just difficult to understand, regardless of any of their other smarts.
    Almost nobody likes reading or learning rules. Even someone who likes games a lot, like me, wants to skip the rules part and get to the playing part. Playing is fun, practicing is not. Therefore only strong willed people who really want to play a hard game are ever going to put in the effort required to do so. It's impossible to get most people to play something that takes more learning than Spot-It! because even if they have the capacity to learn it, they don't have the will. They'll see instant gratification elsewhere rather than spend an entire hour learning Eclipse.
  • I'm imagining their growing frustration as they open, punch, read, and give up on all four games in succession.
  • Yes, but the internet love machine today has decided that those people do not exist. If we were all nicer people, and thought of new, innovative ways to produce, package, and theme our games, then every man, woman, and child on this earth would be going home to play a board game tonight.
    See my last post. I strongly disagree. Most people are just unwilling to sit and learn a serious game. No matter how you package and present it, learning a game takes awhile. Even if a person comes to their house and teaches them to play, it takes awhile. Most people in the world are not willing to sit still and pay attention for that span of time.
  • I'm working on my first board game design which, to put it in tl;dr mode for a sec, is auction based deck building with action selection.

My friend, who is a lawyer and entrepreneur, has played a good chuck of games like Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Carcassone, Dominion, that level of stuff. He claims my initial design is "too complex". I can tell you that it really isn't all that complex.

The thrust of all that is to illustrate that no matter how intelligent and educated a person is there is no assurance that it will apply to the gaming table.

Intellectual bias will enter play to a great extent. If you don't WANT to learn something, odds are fairly strong you will not. The same goes the other way. That womans children, for whatever reason, don't want to learn those games. I'd feel safe admonishing her parenting skills for not helping her kids & the kids for not being self motivated enough (assuming they wanted the games in the first place).
  • I'm working on my first board game design which, to put it in tl;dr mode for a sec, is auction based deck building with action selection.

My friend, who is a lawyer and entrepreneur, has played a good chuck of games like Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Carcassone, Dominion, that level of stuff. He claims my initial design is "too complex". I can tell you that it really isn't all that complex.

The thrust of all that is to illustrate that no matter how intelligent and educated a person is there is no assurance that it will apply to the gaming table.

Intellectual bias will enter play to a great extent. If you don't WANT to learn something, odds are fairly strong you will not. The same goes the other way. That womans children, for whatever reason, don't want to learn those games. I'd feel safe admonishing her parenting skills for not helping her kids & the kids for not being self motivated enough (assuming they wanted the games in the first place).
    If it's your first board game design, then it is too complex. It might not be too complex to be good, it's too complex to be your first game. That's like your first time riding a bike is the Tour de France. Imagine if I told you I never programmed before, but my first program is going to be a new operating system. Start with some Hello World and some Tetris.
  • If it's your first board game design, then it is too complex. It might not be too complex to be good, it's too complex to be your first game. That's like your first time riding a bike is the Tour de France. Imagine if I told you I never programmed before, but my first program is going to be a new operating system. Start with some Hello World and some Tetris.
    He made a similar but not quite as direct or well-put argument. Familiarity with the subject and knowledge of intent both weigh in on this.

I've been playing games my whole life. I was playing blackjack and poker at 4. My parents tried to teach me Candyland to play with my older sister but it literally was babies first table flip. Same thing with Monopoly. I was the asshole who'd sell someone all his property so I could go do something else.

This has to provide some level of insight as to how games work and definitely informs what I think would make a decent (note: I didn't say great. I know this is my first attempt, I don't expect greatness) game,

To use similar analogies to yours, I have been looking at code for years. I know fundamentals of programming but I've never actually done it. I suspect that your knowledge of games would permit you to make a decent game yourself, had you resources enough to commit yourself to the task.