This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• Well the good news is that I may be getting a copy of Channel A in the near future.
  • Preordered Caverna. That games is fucking pricey. I'm glad to learn that it can play 7ppl and has a shoe box full of bits.
  • I love when people tell me how much they loathe Carcassonne (even as a 2p with no expansions) so I can immediately write off all of their opinions on board games.
  • edited October 2013
    Wha? Why do they not like it? I'm curious to hear their reasons to only scoff them.
    On another note has anyone played "Betrayal from House on the Hill"? My friend recommended it to me after he played it somewhere.
    Yeah. Jeremy and I own it. We don't play it as much, however, I still think it's fun.

There isn't much skill invovled. It's a fun co-op game, but not co-op if you're the Betrayer. I think it's good because of the different scenarios when it comes to the haunting. Plus tile laying is my sort of thing which makes for a fun house building of each level.

I will warn you, however, after like a few weeks of purchasing the new edition, some of the pieces warped on us. Lame.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • It looks like an easy party game to pick up for people new to board games since it is co-op.

I might see if I can find it.
  • Wha? Why do they not like it? I'm curious to hear their reasons to only scoff them.
    On another note has anyone played "Betrayal from House on the Hill"? My friend recommended it to me after he played it somewhere.
    Yeah. Jeremy and I own it. We don't play it as much, however, I still think it's fun.

There isn't much skill invovled. It's a fun co-op game, but not co-op if you're the Betrayer. I think it's good because of the different scenarios when it comes to the haunting. Plus tile laying is my sort of thing which makes for a fun house building of each level.

I will warn you, however, after like a few weeks of purchasing the new edition, some of the pieces warped on us. Lame.
    Reach out to Wizards of the Coast. They were giving people replacement tiles a few years back when the reprint came out. The warping was a huge problem

• Tuesday recap:

Hannabi - We got 20! Cremilian had his first two turns be duds and its good to know that implied information does not work well with the group.

Suburbia - A nice tile laying game that does its job well enough, might try again

7 Wonders - I almost pulled the perfect Science victory, instead I just scored 61 of my 82 points. Pence has pictures to prove this.
  • I love when people tell me how much they loathe Carcassonne (even as a 2p with no expansions) so I can immediately write off all of their opinions on board games.
    Fuck you. Some of us can't grasp spatial games. It doesn't make our opinions on other genres irrelevant.
    Fuck you. Some of us can't grasp spatial games. It doesn't make our opinions on other genres irrelevant.
    Usually this trait comes with a bonus ability in Abstract games, a genre I am horrible at, but rock at spatial.

• 7 Wonders - I almost pulled the perfect Science victory, instead I just scored 61 of my 82 points. Pence has pictures to prove this.
    I always seem to end up monoing in something in 7 Wonders, and 90% of the time it doesn't help me. However when it works, it really works, with the leaders/cities expansion I once got 94 points through science alone, got 106 altogether. Or something like that, I should have retired from 7 Wonders then because it is never going to get better than that.

• When there are many players and many expansions you really have to pay attention to your neighbors in 7 Wonders. You can't solo it.
  • edited October 2013
    Also don't sit next to Rym, Chie, or Phil. They will pay attention to what you are doing and mess up your game plan.

If you're playing with Leaders, pay attention to who they play. You can tell some of their game plan by certain leaders.

Really wish this game was on iOS.
  • That's the only reason I was able to take 2nd place in the 7 Wonders Tournament at PAX East last year. I spent more time playing my neighbors than playing myself. I was able to shut them down very effectively, but the one guy who was 2 spots away from me managed to beat me by 2 points because his neighbor allowed him to score a full 9 points with his one military card.
  • Also don't sit next to Rym, Chie, or Phil. They will pay attention to what you are doing and mess up your game plan.

If you're playing with Leaders, pay attention to who they play. You can tell some of their game plan by certain leaders.

Really wish this game was on iOS.
    Speaking of which, the helping app was free a few days ago. Got it.
  • edited October 2013
    So there is a sale on King of Tokyo on Amazon to promote people to get the Halloween expansion.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • edited October 2013
    Yeah, I saw Matt tweet that this morning. I just bought the base with first expansion. Don't know if I want the Halloween one.

Edit: NM, Jeremy is going to get it.
  • My Halloweeen Spot-It is temporarily seasonal!
  • I had no idea that game is $45. That's what I paid for Glory to Rome.

It might be worth $25.

• I had no idea that game is $45. That's what I paid for Glory to Rome.

It might be worth $25.
    Yeah, that's why I didn't get it at PAX. It's not a $45 game stand alone. At $25, yes.
  • Custom dice and decent card stock. It's king of the hill with dice. Not a crazy amount of rules and plays a good number of people.
  • edited October 2013
    Does it go on sale a lot or something? I got it (KoT) as a gift, and it was $25 at the time. I can't imagine paying $45 for the friggin thing, its definitely not worth that, but its a fun game either way!
    Post edited by johndis on
  • Does it go on sale a lot or something? I got it (KoT) as a gift, and it was $25 at the time. I can't imagine paying $45 for the friggin thing, its definitely not worth that, but its a fun game either way!
    I understand it is that high due to the quality of items and the name, but its like Tsuro. Awesome game, good pieces, but WAY overpriced for me to pick it up.
  • Custom dice and decent card stock. It's king of the hill with dice. Not a crazy amount of rules and plays a good number of people.
    Oh, I rather enjoy the game. Great warm-up. Just not a $45 warm-up. I paid $25 for Castellan, and that was definitely worth it. KoT needs to be at least that cheap.

• $45 is about what I paid for V!C!, which is coming with 2 expansions, and I hope to get far more enjoyment out of that than I do from KoT. I tend to compare pricing by looking at hours of enjoyment versus what I pay for a movie in the theater. More than $15/hour is very expensive.
  • Oh, I rather enjoy the game. Great warm-up. Just not a $45 warm-up. I paid $25 for Castellan, and that was definitely worth it.
    Castellan is a bullshit game. It mathematically breaks down to the dots game. Directional heuristics are fiddly. To play truly effectively, you need to perform long and complex calculations.

If you play Castellen, and spend less than 10 minutes each turn deciding what to do, you are playing sub-optimally.
  • Oh, I rather enjoy the game. Great warm-up. Just not a $45 warm-up. I paid $25 for Castellan, and that was definitely worth it.
    Castellan is a bullshit game. It mathematically breaks down to the dots game.
    I am pretty sure Chris said exactly that when she and George were up for the weekend.

• Chris is pretty sharp then. ^_~
    Castellan is a bullshit game. It mathematically breaks down to the dots game. Directional heuristics are fiddly. To play truly effectively, you need to perform long and complex calculations.

If you play Castellen, and spend less than 10 minutes each turn deciding what to do, you are playing sub-optimally.
    Well, I don't know that it's "bullshit" just because it breaks down to the Dots game. I mean, all games break down to something.

I could see calling it bullshit because Dots requires a pen and paper, but then you don't get to fiddle with plastic castle bits. Who doesn't love plastic castle bits?
  • When there are many players and many expansions you really have to pay attention to your neighbors in 7 Wonders. You can't solo it.
    Yeah the guy that wasn't directly next to me was really annoyed at the two people who kept handing me science. Both in the Leaders phase where I managed to get all the science ones, then in the main game with not only almost all the science but also the cities card that clone cards.

As you play 7 Wonders more and more, you realise the power of card denial over the playing what is best for you in simple score terms.
  • I picked up a copy of Risk: Legacy. I want to get my monies worth so I just need to find two more people to commit so I can have a five player game run through the first 15 sessions and create the board.