This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bike Get!

Comments

• Can't think of anywhere in my house that has that much open wall space, we've done a pretty thorough job of fill it up. Front of the shed it is I guess.
  • RymRym
    edited April 2016
    How sturdy is the shed? You could put an awning on one side, and put two bike holders on the side. Then you can put the bikes inside the shed if the weather is bad, but otherwise leave them on the side of the shed protected by the awning.

Or, instead of the "bike hanging out" style, you could get the "bike flat against the wall" style.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Literally bike shedding.
  • Rym said:

How sturdy is the shed? You could put an awning on one side, and put two bike holders on the side. Then you can put the bikes inside the shed if the weather is bad, but otherwise leave them on the side of the shed protected by the awning.

Or, instead of the "bike hanging out" style, you could get the "bike flat against the wall" style.

I'll keep this in mind, but the easiest solution will probably win here.
  • Apreche said:

Literally bike shedding.

It's not bike shedding if the goal of the project is actually to shed bikes.
  • Rym said:

Apreche said:

Literally bike shedding.

It's not bike shedding if the goal of the project is actually to shed bikes.
    I think we should talk about the color of the nuclear power plant attached to this bikeshed. I think it should be mauve, and anyone who says otherwise is an assgrabbing fool.
  • I wish I could hang my bike against a wall like that but, with all the stuff I've got on it, my bike would be sticking out a good 12-20 inches, minimum.
  • My parents set up some lines so they can hang bikes from their garage ceiling for storage.
  • Has anyone seen the Hexlox Kickstarter? It's a security lock for your bike.

I'm surprised I didn't notice it till just now. The campaign ended a few days ago, but you can still preorder it.
  • How frequently is bike theft/vandalism taking parts versus stealing the whole bike? This seems moot if they take the whole bike.
  • Any part that isn't lock-secured is stolen within a day or two in most places in New York.
  • If they're going to steal your seat, do they even bother unscrewing it? I would assume they just cut it off.
  • Starfox said:

If they're going to steal your seat, do they even bother unscrewing it? I would assume they just cut it off.

Cutting a seatpost is a bit...
  • It takes two seconds to unscrew it.
  • Ok. I figured it wouldn't take too long to hacksaw.

I don't steal many bikes.
  • Starfox said:

Ok. I figured it wouldn't take too long to hacksaw.

I don't steal many bikes.

Hacksawing metal fucking sucks, and pretty much every bike now-a-days has a quick-release seat.
  • Aren't the ones worth stealing disproportionately on carbon posts?

And those fancy locking bolts don't help if you're quick release'd.
  • Biking to work is the best thing.
  • Andrew said:

Biking to work is the best thing.

Aren't you biking home in the darkness, though?
  • I bike home in the darkness regularly.
  • edited April 2016
    Apreche said:

Andrew said:

Biking to work is the best thing.

Aren't you biking home in the darkness, though?
    Nope, leave by 6:30 and it's still light out.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Now that I am moving outside of walking distance to work, I may start biking since it's only 5 or 6 miles. Needs more assessment though.
  • I'm rather envious, it's like 20 miles one way for me to get to work.
  • I'm rather envious, it's like 20 miles one way for me to get to work.

That's bikeable. I bike 5 miles each way and it takes < 30 minutes going slow and enjoying the sun. I know people who bike from Long Island, 20 miles or more, no problem.
  • Apreche said:

I'm rather envious, it's like 20 miles one way for me to get to work.

That's bikeable. I bike 5 miles each way and it takes < 30 minutes going slow and enjoying the sun. I know people who bike from Long Island, 20 miles or more, no problem.
    In theory you're right, but we're talking about spending over 3 hours of my day getting to and from work.
  • edited April 2016

Apreche said:

I'm rather envious, it's like 20 miles one way for me to get to work.

In theory you're right, but we're talking about spending over 3 hours of my day getting to and from work.
    nvm
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Don't do it every day, but do it occasionally. I'll spend more than 3 hours biking just for the hell of it on a nice day.
  • I used to drive 3+ hours daily to get to work, but I had audio books and podcasts playing through the car's radio. On a bike I don't have that luxury.