This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bike Get!

Comments

• Rym said:

Don't do it every day, but do it occasionally. I'll spend more than 3 hours biking just for the hell of it on a nice day.

On a nice Saturday I will bike out at 8AM and not get home until 6 or 7. If your commute is on a bike, and the weather is good, who cares how long it is?
  • edited April 2016
    Apreche said:

Rym said:

Don't do it every day, but do it occasionally. I'll spend more than 3 hours biking just for the hell of it on a nice day.

On a nice Saturday I will bike out at 8AM and not get home until 6 or 7. If your commute is on a bike, and the weather is good, who cares how long it is?
    Because you have to actually work 8+ hours in between, and you got crud to do in the morning and evening other than bike, I assume. Patches pointed out, it would be 3+ hours out of his day.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on

The road bike I've been thinking of getting for a few years was on mega-sale. $800 off the exact model. The thing is, with bikes, they don't let you choose whatever color you want. Certain models only come in a small selection of color. I would have preferred green, or 100% black, but this will do.

The color doesn't change the fact that it rides like whoah. It weighs nothing. etc.
  • I'm getting back into riding my bike and I have a few questions.

Do any of you mount your phone on your handlebars? If so, what do you use to do it?

Also, what are the advantages of drop-down bars, and when should I consider replacing my regular handlebars with them?
  • Banta said:

I'm getting back into riding my bike and I have a few questions.

Do any of you mount your phone on your handlebars? If so, what do you use to do it?

Also, what are the advantages of drop-down bars, and when should I consider replacing my regular handlebars with them?

I never mounted my phone to my handlebars, but for this bike I just got a phone mount for the first time. I plan to use Strava in place of a bike computer.

I bought this mount on Amazon. http://amzn.to/2byV7JE

So far it seems extremely strong and stable. I put my phone in it and shook the bike around like crazy. No movement. I rode around, no problem. Still, only time will tell. If you want to be super safe, let me spend more time with this so I can be sure it's legit.

Also keep in mind that this phone mount doesn't provide any water protection to the phone. If it starts raining, uh oh. There are other mounts where your phone goes inside of a protective shield. There are other kinds where you put your phone in a special case, and it mounts really nicely. They were just more expensive, and I don't want to put my phone in a case. I also don't ride in the rain.

If your bike is not a road bike, putting drop bars on it is kind of silly. Like putting a wing on the back of a car that doesn't go fast enough for it to matter.

If you get a road bike, drop bars are kind of mandatory. If you want to know about them, there are tons of articles and videos about how to use them on the Interwebs. Here's one.

https://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2012/06/drop-bar-hand-positions-introduction.html
  • Banta said:

I custom built a mount out of the side of an old PC case. Sheet steel bent and cut to hold my phone snug as a bug in a rug with gaps that are just right for charging cable and headphone jack with the fuzzy side of velcro as padding and to keep the phone from getting scratched.
  • That is a beautiful bike. jelly.
  • When a bell just doesn't cut it.

http://loudbicycle.com/horn/
  • edited August 2016
    Dazzle369 said:

When a bell just doesn't cut it.

http://loudbicycle.com/horn/

I made an app for that for when I'm riding. The honk comes out of my bike's stereo: 300 Watt Cadillac horn. Does wonders.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • There's a genuine need to alert reckless drivers that you're there, but really I'd love to have something like that to scare the shit out of pedestrians walking blindly into the road.
  • Got myself an el cheapo bike. Magna Silver Canyon at Academy Sports, because dammit that's all I can afford.
  • Dazzle369 said:

There's a genuine need to alert reckless drivers that you're there, but really I'd love to have something like that to scare the shit out of pedestrians walking blindly into the road.

I feel you on that >.>
  • Got myself an el cheapo bike. Magna Silver Canyon at Academy Sports, because dammit that's all I can afford.

It's a bike. It goes. It has the same exact engine as the world's most expensive bicycle. YOU.
  • Apreche said:

Got myself an el cheapo bike. Magna Silver Canyon at Academy Sports, because dammit that's all I can afford.

It's a bike. It goes. It has the same exact engine as the world's most expensive bicycle. YOU.
    Yeah, but an Ariel Atom has the exact same engine as a Honda Civic sooo....
  • I think there are lots of groups of cars that operate using the same engine, it's just the body that's different. I could be wrong but I remember hearing VWs use Audi engines. I've heard of other car makes doing similar things.
  • MATATAT said:

I think there are lots of groups of cars that operate using the same engine, it's just the body that's different.

Yeah, that's more or less the point I'm making.
  • Let's all not forget that this exists.

• So it looks like getting drop bars on my current bike will also require new shifters (expected) and new brakes (not expected). The shop I went to estimated the cost at $300-$400, not counting the bars themselves.

Without looking this seems excesive. Am I correct in that assumption?
  • Banta said:

So it looks like getting drop bars on my current bike will also require new shifters (expected) and new brakes (not expected). The shop I went to estimated the cost at $300-$400, not counting the bars themselves.

Without looking this seems excesive. Am I correct in that assumption?

Doesn't seem excessive to me, at least price-wise.

But why are you doing this in the first place? If the frame didn't already have drop bars, it's probably not a road bike frame. Kind of silly to put drop bars on a non-road bike.
  • Being able to put my hands in different positions on long rides and more speed mostly. I hadn't considered the frame being important. I'll post a picture of my bike when I get it back from the shop.
  • Banta said:

Being able to put my hands in different positions on long rides and more speed mostly. I hadn't considered the frame being important. I'll post a picture of my bike when I get it back from the shop.

The frame is the most important part of any bike. The frame IS the bike.
  • edited September 2016
    I've considered getting a new bike, my frame is fairly light, but I think there are plenty of others that are way lighter.

Mines a hybrid though, not a road bike.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • MATATAT said:

I've considered getting a new bike, my frame is fairly light, but I think there are plenty of others that are way lighter.

Are you racing someone? Are you carrying the bike up and down lots of stairs? What do you need a lighter one for?
  • Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

Are you racing someone? Are you carrying the bike up and down lots of stairs? What do you need a lighter one for?
    Seattle is relatively "hilly" in the residential areas. I figured a lighter frame would make getting up and down steeper inclines easier.
  • MATATAT said:

Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

Seattle is relatively "hilly" in the residential areas. I figured a lighter frame would make getting up and down steeper inclines easier.
    Not by that much. Having lower gears is all you really need. Remember, every single bicycle on earth has the same exact engine.
  • MATATAT said:

Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

How much do you plus you bike weigh? I think you'll find that you are the majority of the weight you're pulling up these hills.
  • The answer to most "I need to make it easier to bike" questions are:

1. If it's a cruiser, fuck that garbage and get a normal bike.
    2. If you have one gear, get more gears.
    3. If you have more gears, get less aggressive gears.
    4. Lighten the bike.
    5. Get a better bike.

Make changes in that order. ;)
  • According to the Trek web site:

A Trek FX 1 - 20" - all aluminum hybrid bicycle weighs 12.35kg and costs $440

A Trek FX S 5 - 56cm - all carbon hybrid bicycle weighs 9.56kg and costs $2100

A Trek Madone 9.5 - 56cm - all carbon ridiculous racing bike weighs 7.32kg and costs $8000

A Macbook Pro weighs 1.6kg.

If you have a hard time getting up the hill, the problem isn't going to be solved by spending a few thousand dollars to save a couple kilograms. Lose weight. Increase leg strength. Use gears properly.
  • Less aggressive gears? Like more oiled?