This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Earthquakin'

edited June 2010 in Everything Else
We just had a fairly large one I felt here at work. initial reports say ~6.0 near Mexicali, same as the Baja quake about 2-3 months ago. That placed is cursed.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    That quake was a tiny roller when it reached where I am. I had to sit very still to even feel it.

For all the people who don't live on the southern west coast, there was a quake about 15 minutes ago.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2010
    Where are you at Dromaro? I'm 20 minutes out from LA and I haven't felt anything yet. It was probably dissipated by now.

EDIT: A google search for earthquakes is quite informative.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited June 2010
    I'm 20 minutes out from LA and I haven't felt anything yet.
    That makes sense. I'm like 40 minutes south of you and I barely could feel it.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2010
    Where are you at Dromaro? I'm 20 minutes out from LA and I haven't felt anything yet.
    I'm like 40 minutes south of you and I barely could feel it.
    Yeah, I edited my post. Apparently Baja got another 4.1 quake less than a day ago.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'm in downtown LA for E3, and just felt a little shakiness about 20-30 minutes ago. My chair just started moving around along with everything else in the room.
  • Hey, you should come over to my neck of the woods and get some coffee with me. We can hit the arcade. I live right near CSU Northridge.
  • I'm in Irvine. Orange county area. Roughly 20 miles south of LA. I'm on the second floor of an office building. The jolt wasn't strong but it rolled for a good 30+ seconds that I could feel.
  • We can hit the arcade.
    Arcade as in shopping or arcade as in "INSERT COIN TO CONTINUE"?
  • Arcade as in shopping or arcade as in "INSERT COIN TO CONTINUE"?
    The Latter.
  • We can hit the arcade.
    Arcade as in shopping or arcade as in "INSERT COIN TO CONTINUE"?
    Who uses the former?
  • Who uses the former?
    Err, anyone who has been to a mall?
  • Who uses the former?
    Err, anyone who has been to a mall?
    I have never heard anyone use "arcade" to refer a shopping center.
  • I have never heard anyone use "arcade" to refer a shopping center.
    A shopping arcade is simply any covered street or pathway with shops on both sides, therefore, most malls are either arcades, or contain a number of arcades.
  • edited June 2010
    I have never heard anyone use "arcade" to refer a shopping center.
    It's more specifically one of these.
    Also, for the record, I didn't feel the quake.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • It's more specifically one of these.
    It doesn't have to include arches or an arched roof, by definition, but yes, that's a nice arcade.
  • I've never heard of an arcade of that fashion. I will add it to my lexicon.

But Churba was right, I mean an arcade as in "Insert another coin".
  • edited June 2010
    Regardless, I have never known anyone to use that term in that way.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • It doesn't have to include arches or an arched roof, by definition, but yes, that's a nice arcade.
    Hmmmm...according to Wikipedia, that's exactly what an arcade has to include:
    An arcade is a succession of arches, each counterthrusting the next, supported by columns or piers, or a covered walk enclosed by a line of such arches on one or both sides.
    In a gothic cathedral the arcade is the lowest part of the wall of the nave, supporting the triforium and the clerestory.
    Modern arcade walkways often include retailers.
  • edited June 2010
    Hmmmm...according to Wikipedia, that'sexactlywhat an arcade has to include:
    According to the Collins English dictionary unabridged, the relevant definition is "A covered and sometimes arched passageway, usually with shops on one or both sides", Kernerman, Random house and American Heritage agree.
    However, in the strictly architectural definition, It is a gallery with an arched roof, regardless of contents of the gallery.

Though, amusingly, in the wiki definition, as one of the two pictures they included as examples of Arcades was not of a Arcade, but of a Colonnade.

So something can be an Arcade without being an Arcade, Or, you can have an Arcade, that's in an Arcade, that's not an Arcade.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2010
    So something can be an Arcade without being an Arcade, Or, you can have an Arcade, that's in an Arcade, that's not an Arcade.
    Oh god make it stop!

Okay, sound good. My understanding had always been that it's an arched passageway. I guess that's probably where the word originally came from (arch >> arc >> arcade), but it eventually came to mean something broader. I learned something!
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Or we can just all agree that an arcade is a place with video game cabinets and pinball machines and forget about this inane, outdated meaning. This is the future, maaaan.
  • I would like to take this opportunity to point out that this thread has been commented on exclusively by present and future southern Californians. Once Churba gets here, we should all meet up and have a night out on the town. There's enough of us to form a decent sized crew.
  • I'm into it.
  • edited June 2010
    Okay, sound good. My understanding had always been that it's an arched passageway. I guess that's probably where the word originally came from (arch >> arc >> arcade), but it eventually came to mean something broader. I learned something!
    That's pretty much the simple version of the etymology of it, yeah. The reason for the broadening of the definition was that originally, Shopping arcades were also Architecturally arcades, but as more were built without arched gallery, and still called arcades, the definition shifted.

Curiously, In Australia - or at least, in Brisbane - Most Shopping centers are actually true Arcades, with the arched ceilings, to give a sense of openness and space(and usually, to make it easier to have a glass ceiling, and save on the lighting bills during the day.)
    I would like to take this opportunity to point out that this thread has been commented on exclusively by present and future southern Californians. Once Churba gets here, we should all meet up and have a night out on the town. There's enough of us to form a decent sized crew.
    I'm in.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I would like to take this opportunity to point out that this thread has been commented on exclusively by present and future southern Californians.
    That's kind of crazy, actually. I remember a time when I was literally the only west coaster on the whole forum.

But yeah, I think it would be fun to meet you guys. I already met Sonic once, and that went well.
  • I would like to take this opportunity to point out that this thread has been commented on exclusively by present and future southern Californians.
    That's kind of crazy, actually. I remember a time when I was literally the only west coaster on the whole forum.

But yeah, I think it would be fun to meet you guys. I already met Sonic once, and that went well.
    Very well, I think. Sail is awesome, and he's got an awesome crew of friends.
  • But yeah, I think it would be fun to meet you guys. I already met Sonic once, and that went well.
    If I recall correctly, Fetus is over 21, and you're either over or close enough, and sonic is close enough, so I suspect there will be a west coast piss-up in the near future. If you're not, screw it, I am, so there will still be west coast boozing, but I'll be a little more gentle about it.
  • But yeah, I think it would be fun to meet you guys. I already met Sonic once, and that went well.
    If I recall correctly, Fetus is over 21, and you're either over or close enough, and sonic is close enough, so I suspect there will be a west coast piss-up in the near future. If you're not, screw it, I am, so there will still be west coast boozing, but I'll be a little more gentle about it.
    I think Sail has only just, or will soon turn 18. Soon after you get here I'll turn 21.
  • edited June 2010
    Heh, I've been 19 for three months :)

I know, I seem young[er] :p
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2010
    I think Sail has only just, or will soon turn 18. Soon after you get here I'll turn 21.
    Near enough. He just doesn't get to drink as much.
    Post edited by Churba on