This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Earthquakin'

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Ah, yes, thats right. You were 18 at AX last year.

Also, someday all of us down here will pool our cars and caravan PAX, where the FRC:F West will finally be all together (Ro Included) and meet part of (if not all of) the FRC:F East. On the way up, as we approach the convention center, all of our cars will be blasting "Every Day I'm Hustling..."
    Post edited by Victor Frost on

• Also, someday all of us down here will pool our cars and caravan PAX, where the FRC:F West will finally be all together (Ro Included) and meet part of (if not all of) the FRC:F East. On the way up, as we approach the convention center, all of our cars will be blasting "Every Day I'm Hustling..."
    Shit, I hope I can afford to re-paint the Falcon before then.
  • Also, someday all of us down here will pool our cars and caravan PAX, where the FRC:F West will finally be all together (Ro Included) and meet part of (if not all of) the FRC:F East. On the way up, as we approach the convention center, all of our cars will be blasting "Every Day I'm Hustling..."
    This would be epic. Sadly, I'm already booked to fly to PAX Prime this year. Maybe cross country road trip to PAX East?
  • edited June 2010
    This would be epic. Sadly, I'm already booked to fly to PAX Prime this year. Maybe cross country road trip to PAX East?
    Pax Prime 2010 occurs before this is all going down(I arrive in october, optimally), and I'm pretty sure a road trip to PAX was the plan.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2010
    Pax Prime 2010 occurs before this is all going down(I arrive in october, optimally), and I'm pretty sure a road trip to PAX was the plan.
    Caravan or party bus?
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • Caravan or party bus?
    Convoy, most likely. I don't know what other people own in the way of cars and such, and cross country in a party bus would be crazy expensive.
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2010
    Or we can just all agree that an arcade is a place with video game cabinets and pinball machines and forget about this inane, outdated meaning. This is the future, maaaan.
    Like arcades are any indication of the present times.
    Post edited by Geo on
    This year? No no no. I meant for next year.

A cross country trip to PAX east, hrm? That'd be mighty expensive in both time and money. Take it from a guy who's driven cross country before, it would be better to fly.
  • Or we can just all agree that an arcade is a place with video game cabinets and pinball machines and forget about this inane, outdated meaning. This is the future, maaaan.
    Like arcades any indication of the present times.
    Shush, you.

• A cross country trip to PAX east, hrm? That'd be mighty expensive in both time and money. Take it from a guy who's driven cross country before, it would be better to fly.
    Fuck it, I drove Brisbane to Perth in two and a half days, it's not that bad.
  • I humbly submit to the forums... The Gumball Rally
  • edited June 2010
    A cross country trip to PAX east, hrm? That'd be mighty expensive in both time and money. Take it from a guy who's driven cross country before, it would be better to fly.
    In terms of gas, driving across the US costs about the same, if not more, as flying.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2010
    In terms of gas, driving across the US costs about the same, if not more, as flying.
    You know what, I was gonna start talking about the cost of food and stuff, but then I remembered all of those awesome Top Gear road trips. Fuck it, lets do this for PAX East 2011!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • If you're gonna do it like that you need to make a game/challenge out of it.
  • In terms of gas, driving across the US costs about the same, if not more, as flying.
    Meh, it's only another 200 or so miles more than Brisbane to perth along the shortest route, and shorter than the route I took. And our petrol is more expensive. It can be done.
    You know what, I was gonna start talking about the cost of food and stuff, but then I remembered all of those awesome Top Gear road trips. Fuck it, lets do this for PAX East 2011!
    You're on, my young friend.
    If you're gonna do it like that you need to make a game/challenge out of it.
    You better believe it.
  • edited June 2010
    I humbly submit to the forums...The Gumball Rally
    I'm planning on entering when I'm a bit older. Oh lulz.

Also, Polizei FTW.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    You better believe it.
    I once said (elsewhere) that it's quite possible to traverse the US coast-to-coast in the span of time it takes to leave at sunrise and arrive at sunset. I still have to do the maths on that one, but I still firmly believe it's nothing special.
    You better believe it.
    I once said (elsewhere) that it's quite possible to traverse the US coast-to-coast in the span of time it takes to leave at sunrise and arrive at sunset. I still have to do the maths on that one, but I still firmly believe it's nothing special.
    During Summer, driving the shortest road distance from the most inland coastal cities (2405 miles from Brunswick, GA to San Diego, CA) travelling east to west, leaving at east coast sunrise (Approx 6:30am) and arriving at West coast Sunset (Approximately 8:00pm), you would have to travel at no less than 130mph for 18.5 hours with no stops.
  • During Summer, driving the shortest road distance from the most inland coastal cities (2405 miles from Brunswick, GA to San Diego, CA) travelling east to west, leaving at east coast sunrise (Approx 6:30am) and arriving at West coast Sunset (Approximately 8:00pm), you would have to travel at no less than 130mph for 18.5 hours with no stops.
    Huh. That does mean that you could do it quite reasonably in three days, or two if you're super hardcore. That's surprising to me. I never did the math.
  • I once said (elsewhere) that it's quite possible to traverse the US coast-to-coast in the span of time it takes to leave at sunrise and arrive at sunset. I still have to do the maths on that one, but I still firmly believe it's nothing special.
    Pfftahaha.
  • I once said (elsewhere) that it's quite possible to traverse the US coast-to-coast in the span of time it takes to leave at sunrise and arrive at sunset. I still have to do the maths on that one, but I still firmly believe it's nothing special.
    Pfftahaha.
    My thoughts exactly. If nothing else, you'd have to stop for gas every 2 hours or so.
  • Ahh, I remember reading that story when it first came out. I loved it.
  • edited June 2010
    Ahh, I remember reading that story when it first came out. I loved it.
    I would love to make the Run. I think I will eventually be competent enough to drive like that, but the means for the Run are a long way off. No way I could break the record, though.

I really would like to try the Gumball, but the resources needed...A man can dream.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    edited June 2010
    During Summer, driving the shortest road distance from the most inland coastal cities (2405 miles from Brunswick, GA to San Diego, CA) travelling east to west, leaving at east coast sunrise (Approx 6:30am) and arriving at West coast Sunset (Approximately 8:00pm), you would have to travel at no less than 130mph for 18.5 hours with no stops.
    Entirely possible. Sonic, you're not thinking outside the box. Math, clear the roads everywhere, put a fuelled up super car on the road every so often when the previous one's tank will run dry, have to drivers, rock on. Also, suns don't set that early in Summer unless you drive to Mexico.
    Post edited by ... on
  • clear the roads everywhere
    My Calculations assume perfectly clear roads the entire way.
    put a fuelled up super car on the road every so often when the previous one's tank will run dry
    This is irrelevant. The requested information was the minimum speed required to make the journey in the alloted time.
    Also, suns don't set that early in Summer unless you drive to Mexico.
    Sunrise and Sunset times for each location were gathered from the Old Farmers Almanac website.
  • you would have to travel at no less than 130mph
    So you mean you have to drive at German autobahn speeds?
  • Huh. That does mean that you could do it quite reasonably in three days, or two if you're super hardcore. That's surprising to me. I never did the math.
    It absolutely is - I did a tad more than that in a touch over two and a half, and I could have done it in less, if I hadn't taken a brief nap. This was, however, back when the highways across central Australia literally had NO speed limit. No longer the case, unfortunately, though the speed limit is pretty high.

Also, I went out on those roads to hit the fastest I've ever been on a land vehicle - I tapped and held 302 KPH on an de-limited zooky 'busa. Good times.
    I really would like to try the Gumball, but the resources needed...A man can dream.
    You can apply to work the Gumball, my old boss at Kobe(A bar, not the place with the beef) has done so for a few years, and said If I can afford it, he wants me along for 2011. I'm many years off from driving it, though - the minimum it was gonna cost me when I first heard about the Gumball was just under a hundred grand. Entry fees to the tune of thirty grand, and then a modded out Fairlady Z, and maintenance and incidentals.
  • you would have to travel at no less than 130mph
    No no no, AVERAGE no less than 130 mph. You'd actually have to drive a hell of a lot faster.
  • No no no, AVERAGE no less than 130 mph. You'd actually have to drive a hell of a lot faster.
    Exactly - unless you develop some crazy system for refuelling on the move from a very fast tanker vehicle, you've got to stop for gas - every second at 0 is time you can't get back. Every time you drop in speed, you have to go faster later.