This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Favorite/Best Movie

edited August 2006 in Movies
I actually thought of this topic this morning before I listened to the webcomics panel, so I figured I should put it up anyway since it seemed more appropriate.

What's your favorite movie?
What's the best movie?

Comments

• It's really hard to say that the best movie is not Citizen Kane from a cinematographical standpoint, although I would like to be able to say it is City of God.

My favorite movie, very difficult to say. The original Star Wars Trilogy, the new LotR trilogy, Snatch, Boondock Saints, Suicide Kings, Godfather 1, and all the Monty Python movies all seem to be tied for first. I think though, if forced to pick one, I have to go with "The Matrix". It was the first to come to mind, and it is perhaps the only movie I can watch over and over again forever without it getting old.
  • Well I believe on only making a judgement on something if you've fully expeirenced it, so whenever I am asked either of these questions, it is based on movies that I have personally seen.

My favorite movie changes every so often, but my current favorite movie is "The Boondock Saints"

As for the best movie, I'd say "The Legend of Liberty Valance", its an old western movie I haven't seen in many years, but my grandpa had it on tape. A very well done movie even by today's standards, and it has one of the most memorable ending lines ever in a movie "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend". I'll let you wrap your brain around that one.
  • Favorite Movie: Serenity.... (was there even a doubt), However I was pleased to hear someone say Iron Giant! Plus all those Trilogies everyone else mentioned includiing Evil dead trilogy!

The best movie of all time is... House of the dead!

Not!
  • The recent production of "Call of Cthulhu" was very well done and made to appear as if it were made in the silent movie era.
  • edited September 2006
    My favorite movie is Serenity, I want mytrilogy .

The best movie is either Serenity or the Emperor of the North Pole (come on a hobo fights with a chicken)

Favorie TV series : Firefly, Md. House, Stargate SG -1 , Atlantis, Dr. Who, Law and Order
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • One of my favorites: Willow.

One of the best I've seen: Seppuku, not that I bet anyone here has heard of it :)
  • Favorite movie: Likely Memento (I'm a big Chris Nolan fan), though the answer rotates between that, Akira, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels/Snatch (all told, they're the same movie), and City of God often enough. I also like Jim Jarmusch a lot, though his films contain an elusive sort of quality that keeps me from calling them my favorite. I walk away and I feel different, that's for sure.
    Best movie: Likely Rashomon, because Kurisawa pulls off that multifaceted storytelling so well in it.

And Mookie is right, Iron Giant -is- a tear jerker.
  • On a side note, I am reminded that The Prestige looks awesome. I've never read the book, though I've been told its quite good. And any movie that features Nikola Tesla in it deserves some credit.
  • My favorite movie is Lupin the 3rd: Castle of Cagliostro. It will never get old for me, it's just too good and beautiful.

Best movie: The Seven Samurai.
  • Best Movie: possibly "Godfather I", although I really enjoyed Godfather II more because of the flash-back style sequences. However I consider "The Usual Suspects" to be the greatest film of all-time. Stellar performances by all involved (especially Kevin Spacey) and script is written so well that the audience doesn't have a clue right until the end. "I am Kaiser-Soze"

Favourite Movie: hard to pick my very favourite movie... I think I'd have to go with Hayao Miyazaki's "Laputa: Castle in the Sky". I watched this anime-movie for the first time when I was about 7 or 8 years old... 13 years later and I still love everything about it. I will continue to watch it again and again until the day I die.
  • Best Movie: Cassablanca.

Favourite Movie: Princess Bride, LOTR.
  • Not sure why this thread hasn't been jumped on my any and all... lets kick it up!
    Don't whine about my list, its MINE! make your own!

Favorite Movie(s): Bladerunner, Conan the Barbarian, Dr. Strangelove, Excalibur, Lord of the Rings (peter jackson), The Big Lebowski, Illuminata, Road Warrior, Young Frankenstein, Matrix I, MASH movie,The Princess Bride, Best in Show, Serenity, Koyaanisqatsi, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Unforgiven, Spinal Tap

Best Movie(s): Citizen Kane, To Kill a Mockingbird, Casablanca, 2001

Favorite TV Series: Serenity, Star Trek Deep Space 9, Battlestar Galactica (new series), Law & Order, Mythbusters, Rome (HBO), Kung Fu (David Carradine, old)

Your first Anime: Robotech TV series

and, you have to have this category, WORST movie you ever saw: Maximum Overdrive
  • Favorite TV Series: Firefly, Star Trek Deep Space 9, Battlestar Galactica (new series), Law & Order, Mythbusters, Rome (HBO), Kung Fu (David Carradine, old)
    Sorry, this is one of my pet peeves. Like when people call "Home Improvement" "Tool Time." It's a crap show but at least get the name right!

/HI == Crap, Firefly ==Awesome
  • While Star Wars 4, 5 and 6 come close my favourite movie has to be...

The Fifth Element
    ...Multipas
  • Rym really likes the Fifth Element. I like it less. It was randomly on TV the one night I was at my parents house recently.
  • Shawshank Redemption
  • I would argue that The Incredibles is one of the best movies committed to celluloid, or whatever passes for celluloid nowadays. Crazy digital shenanigans...

Other favorites: The Iron Giant, Amelie, Almost Famous, Samurai Jack, Serenity. The list goes on for a while, but those are some of the highlights.
  • Yes, The Incredibles would have to pass as my second, i have watched that film allmost as many times as The Fifth Element
  • Favorite Movies are: Shawshank Redemption, Clash of the Titans, and One flew over the Cookos Nest

Favorite TV Shoes are: Buffy, Firefly, Angle, Battlestar, and South Park
  • Snakes on a plane! (I'm joking obviously, that movie was so bad I was about to ask for the 8 bucks I wasted.)
  • Snakes on a plane! (I'm joking obviously, that movie was so bad I was about to ask for the 8 bucks I wasted.)
    Are you kidding? Snakes on a Plane was awesome!

FUCKING SNAKE GET OFF MY DICK!

/Easily entertained
  • The movie WAS funny, mostly because of it's badness.

Snake having sex with the fat chick. XD
  • Maximum Overdrive: The movie where LAW rockets were reusable...
  • edited September 2006
    Heat by Michael Mann....i love that movie with a passion.
    Post edited by dutopia on
  • Wow... best movie in my mind is the original "12 Angry Men"

My favorite movie... I am sorry to say... is the 6 hour mini-series of "Pride and Prejudice" with Colin Firth.
  • The two best are the Godfather and Shawshank, but my favorite is Good Will Hunting.
  • edited October 2006
    Jurassic Park. Favorite movie ever and probably, also, the best movie ever. . . .

"This is UNIX! I know this!!1!"

Oh, and The Fifth Element pwns too.

Edit: On the subject of The Fifth Element, The Professional is one hellava movie as well.
    Post edited by HeavyCruiserLost on
  • RymRym
    edited October 2006
    Oh, and The Fifth Element pwns too.
    It's one of my favourite movies ever. Comic gold.
    The Professional is one hellava movie as well.
    If you liked The Professional, check out Wasabi.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • My favorite movies are Taxi Driver, Sonatine (Kitano Takeshi, early yakuza movie), The Godfather...

... and the Leonard Nimoy directed CLASSIC Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, the movie owns on so many levels.

Recently saw Xmen: Final Decision in the theater. It was so good my face melted. (I'm not kidding, I LOVED it... but I've been known to have poor taste.)
  • My favorite movie... I am sorry to say... is the 6 hour mini-series of "Pride and Prejudice" with Colin Firth.
    Haha, we watched that in my English Lit class in high school. It was really good... there's no reason to be ashamed :D

Oooh, Mr. Darcy...