This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Favorite/Best Movie

Comments

• My favorite film ever has to be Battle Royale [sic].

It is a masterpiece, and introduced me to the awesome genre of "Ultra Violence." After seeing the film, I read the novel. The Battle Royale book was so much more amazing than the film, but I still love both of them equally.

The best film ever has to be, in my opinion, Spirited Away. That movie has astounding visuals, an astounding story, an astounding musical score, and was awesome in every way possible. The film was by far the greatest thing ever, but it didn't have me jumping off of my couch yelling with glee like BR did.
  • Holy flashback to yesterday, Sailman!
    Thank god that dolphin swam in front of us before yesterdays conversation blew us up Batman!
    Thank god that dolphin swam in front of us before yesterdays conversation blew us up Batman!
    We shall spring yesterday's conversation from The Joker's Jack-In-The-Box, through that window, out over the sea, and into the waiting arms of The Penguin's Exploding Octopus!
  • My favorite movies would have to be Repo Man, Fight Club, The Night of the Hunter, and Brazil.
  • I'd say my favorite movie is Kiki's Delivery Service, and my favorite TV show is Azumanga Daioh
  • The best movie is Pulp Fiction.

If my favorite movie must be different, I say Kill Bill is my favorite.
    We shall spring yesterday's conversation from The Joker's Jack-In-The-Box, through that window, out over the sea, and into the waiting arms of The Penguin's Exploding Octopus!
    Hehehe. That's awesome. We're definitely doing that again.
  • edited April 2007
    Blade Runner (the domestic release with the voice over), Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, The Bicycle Thief, The Hudsucker Proxy, The Paper Chase, A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Aliens, Henry V (Branagh's version), Hamlet (Zefirelli's version),The Right Stuff (the first hour contains all you need to know about sheer damn manliness), Full Metal Jacket, Kelly's Heroes, Matewan, "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly", High Plains Drifter, A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, Goodfellas, A Bronx Tale, Godfather II, The Unforgiven, Pale Rider, A Civil Action, Primal Fear, And Justice for All, Starship Troopers, Saving Private Ryan, We Were Soldiers, Platoon, MASH, From Russia with Love, Radio Days, Love and Death, Shadows and Fog, Manhattan, Hannah and her Sisters, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Kid, The General, The Great Dictator, Johnny Got His Gun, All Quiet on the Western Front, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Gold Rush, The Verdict, The Empire Strikes Back, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Repo Man, Straight to Hell, Ghost Story, The Shining, Gotham, Anne of the Thousand Days, Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Wuthering Heights, Etan Frome, The Age of Innocence, The Sixth Sense, Sleepy Hollow, Rear Window, Vertigo, The Remains of the Day, Howard's End, A Room with a View, Strange Brew, Once Upon a Time in America

Blade Runner, Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon and The Bicycle Thief get my vote for best. I respect Citizen Kane, but I don't enjoy it very much.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Favorite movies would be: Star Wars, the original trilogy, where Han Solo shoots first (Episode III wasn't that bad.) Extended edition LoTR. I really like Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill. I love the little Tarantino rant at the beginning of Reservoir Dogs about tipping because it articulates my point of view almost exactly about that matter. I would only add one more thing. Hmm... all Miyazaki movies especially... Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Mononoke Hime, and choosing these two over the others is tough. The Matrix for it's deep revolutionary message. You discover something new everytime you watch it. Akira Kurosawa's Ikiru. Depressing and uplifting at the same time if that's possible. My two personal obsessions The Phantom of the Opera and Moulin Rouge. The Godfather I and II. "I know it was you Fredo. You broke my heart." Just causes shivers really. I love Blade Runner. Dune (1985) even if it's not to the letter and perfect compared to the book.

I can't think of anything else but I know there are probably a bunch more I can't remember just now.
  • Best movie: Not gonna touch this with a 10-foot pole. I have no idea.

Favorite movie: Right now, Everything is Illuminated. Go see it. Now.
  • Blade Runner (the domestic release with the voice over)
    Are you serious? That movie was infinitely times better without the voice overs.
  • Blade Runner (the domestic release with the voice over)
    Are you serious? That movie was infinitely times better without the voice overs.
    I enjoyed the voice overs.
    Hehehe. That's awesome. We're definitely doing that again.
    Holy shit, this just popped up on Digg.
  • The best part of that isn't the video, it's the author's insistence preceding every proper noun with "Turkish."
    Turkish Jason thought it was funny. I'll bet Turkish WaterIsPoison will, too.
  • I love The Princess Bride (it's not what you think), Monty Python, Pirates of the Caribbean (not the 2nd one), and National Treasure, despite its flaws. Oh, and I like It's A Wonderful Life too... don't ask why...
  • Best Movie would have to be Empire of the Sun and The Color Purple at a close 2nd.

Favorite movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which is also a awesome book to read.
  • My favourite movie is Annie Hall, I'm a big Woody Allen fan and it is one of his best.

The best movie in my opinion is The Shawshank Redemption, it's got a great story that really draws you in and it has one of the best endings ever.
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail is my fave.
  • Hard to pick a single "best", but here are some of my favorites:

In the Mouth of Madness
    Day of the Dead
    The Cider House Rules
    Shawn ofthe Dead
    Return of the Jedi
    The Matrix
    Brainscan
    Clerks
  • Favorite movie: Right now, Everything is Illuminated. Go see it. Now.
    Quite literally, today if not now...really, do you want a torrent link?

Also, yesterday I watched a film on AMC that was totally worth the time. Red Dawn. Not only is it just a great post-apocalyptic framework, but it has every star of the eighties. Really, I love these sorts of movies despite their heavy heavy feeling of despair and solitude. Kinda like Children of Men. Or Reign of fire if they would have done it with any ounce eff'n integrity.
  • This thread makes me somewhat sad . . . [cry]
  • My answer to both questions is Fight Club.
  • V for Vendetta, LotR trilogy, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
  • The Fifth Element, Wasabi, Amelie, Dreams(Akira Kurosawa), 7 Samurai and Pulp Fiction

I really dig Mexican "Luchador" movies, and B-rated goodness (like "Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter", its a musical)
  • My favorite movies were Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, V for Vendetta, Aladdin, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

The greatest movie ever is Citizen Kane
  • edited August 2007
    Sorry for bumping this, but, after being introduced to Movies You Should See, I've really seen the light as far as good films go. So, my new favorite films are Children of Men, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, Se7en, Jacob's Ladder, Donnie Darko, Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz. Also, the best film ever made is Pulp Fiction.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • My favorite movie has been changed recently, from School of Rock to...

The Seven Samurai.