This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• Well, I have some secret knowledge... I know who the PC is being built for, and I know for what it is going to be used.

Adobe stuff. Rendering. Basically everything I use it for except high-end gaming. ;^)
  • Well, I have some secret knowledge... I know who the PC is being built for, and I know for what it is going to be used.
    Yeah, nobody was ever arguing with that.
  • edited August 2012
    Well, I have some secret knowledge... I know who the PC is being built for, and I know for what it is going to be used.

Adobe stuff. Rendering. Basically everything I use it for except high-end gaming. ;^)
    On all counts, that's pretty much exactly what I figured was the cause of your statements ^_~
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I think it is for mostly art production. I am building it for a friend who needs to use the Adobe Suite for animation, but doesn't do 3D. They are not PC gamers, like, at all. I don't think they need an SSD right now, since they are on a budget. They can add one later if they want. I figured I would give them a big hard drive for storing after effects projects and stuff.
    Really secret information... :P
  • I think it is for mostly art production. I am building it for a friend who needs to use the Adobe Suite for animation, but doesn't do 3D. They are not PC gamers, like, at all. I don't think they need an SSD right now, since they are on a budget. They can add one later if they want. I figured I would give them a big hard drive for storing after effects projects and stuff.
    Really secret information... :P
    Well, it was relatively secret at the time of Creamsteak's post.
  • Which is why my very first sentence was "What's the computer going to be used for primarily?"

I know this game. :D
  • If I wanted a computer to enter cyberspace, what specs would you recommend? Any hardware I need to transform my soul into digital energy, or can I just do that over USB?

Also, any software recommendations?
  • I said what the computer was going to be used for way at the beginning. The person who I built it for asked specifically for 16 GB of RAM, otherwise I probably would have done 8.
  • edited August 2012
    Not quite at the beginning - Creamsteak responded before you did so - but we all noticed anyway. The side discussion was Rym's fault.

Anyways, 16GB of RAM is fine given current prices. I would change the CPU to an Ivy Bridge, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Spend some quality time today looking parts and stuff for my potential future PC. Because I had no idea what I was doing I mostly followed the guidance of this, looking at the Very good row. Originally I was going to get new screen too so I could continue with two screen luxury life, but had to leave it out, I buy it with my tax returns on December then.

This is what I came up with. If anyone has any comments, or notice that I've made a horrible mistake on something, or just something else to mention about my choices I'd like to hear them. I'm pretty sure I've made some non-optimal decisions, hopefully someone can point them out.
    I'll give newegg links and provide euro prices, taken from the site where I'm probably going to order this stuff. My budget is around 800 to 900 euros.

Case: Fractal Design Core 3000 73.90€
    Power Supply: Here 99€ Notes: To be honest, power supply is one of the biggest question marks for me, that should fit for my needs, but I'm not fully confident that that's optimal choice.
    GPU: This one 126€
    RAM: 2 x 4Gb sticks 2 * 23€ = 46€
    Processor: Intel Core i3 2100 126€
    Mother board: This one 104€ Notes: Mother boards are confusing, but that should fit my needs, doesn't it. The guide suggested this, but it seems to be mostly same, except it has more expansion slots and higher price. Were I right with my choice of going with the cheaper one?
    Hard drive: 500Gb 71€
    Stuff I didn't bother to find and link on newegg.
    DVD drive (writable) 22€
    Keyboard and mouse 20€ (decided to save on this and speakers)
    Speakers: something cheap at max 20 € (I'll wear my headset most of the time anyways, so I don't need anything special)

With these parts my total price would be 820.90€ which fits perfectly on my budget and there is little bit of air in there too, if I need to go higher on something.

• I feel so ignored. Ignored and sad.
  • You go to Hell. You go to Hell and you die.
  • edited September 2012
    I'd switch your PSU for something made by Antec. You can probably also step down to something in the 400 watt range. Also, if you're going with a regular hard drive (and I would too, SSDs are stupid expensive) I'd opt for something with 64MB of cache. 16MB is very old hat. You also probably get a 1TB for nearly the same price.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited September 2012
    Yeah, stepping up to this drive from the same line costs $10 more and doubles your storage space.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • MOAR RAM!!

Seriously though, more RAM.
  • I'd switch your PSU for something made by Antec. You can probably also step down to something in the 400 watt range.
    I used some watt calculator and it agreed and said that I could do with less, but in the info of the GPU it says that it wants Minimum of 500 Watt power supply, so I decided to go with that.
    Also, if you're going with a regular hard drive (and I would too, SSDs are stupid expensive) I'd opt for something with 64MB of cache. 16MB is very old hat. You also probably get a 1TB for nearly the same price.
    This shit is exactly why I had to ask expert opinion from this forum. My first time building a computer and I didn't even realize to look at the hard drive caches.
    MOAR RAM!!

Seriously though, more RAM.
    I hear you.

So if I switch to this PSU it would be only 1€ more expencive, would be the brand that George suggested, and would have more watts (something I might not need, but only 500W Antect PSU from where I'm buying this was 128€, quite a higher price, for less watts.)

By Linkigi's suggestion I'd switch hard drive to Whatever Linkigi linked. 10€ more expensive.

And because Timo wants me to be able to run Photoshop at the same time with all my Steam games, I'd switch memory to two 8GB sticks, from Kingston. 32€ more to the end price.

So with those changes the whole packet would cost 853.90€ (if my calculations are right) still reasonable price.
  • Apsup, how do you get Newegg stuff shipped to you? Can you? I'll be getting a new computer in the very near future, and would love it not to have to pay ~thrice as much.
  • Apsup, how do you get Newegg stuff shipped to you? Can you?
    I don't and I couldn't. I just use Newegg as a reference, because it's more helpful for the majority of forumites than linking a page full of Finish would be. Also user reviews and info in easy to read format is quite helpful for me too.

• Prices you listed are still better than ours. Will they ship to Norway? I wonder if I can get cheap stuff out of Poland..
  • edited September 2012
    You know who else thought he could get cheap stuff out of Poland? Frederick the Great.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited September 2012
    You know who else thought he could get cheap stuff out of Poland?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • You guys are all the most fantastic. Especially Emily. We're going to start placing orders today. <3 Thank you for all the help!
  • What's the life of a mobo/cpu these days? I'm talking shop with SquadronRoe about PCs and I realized that my computer is almost 6 years old. The only things I'm upgraded or changed out was more RAM, new CPU fan, and new video card.

This is the mobo I have, or very close to it from what I recall:

Asus M2NE.
  • Mine is some age, like 4 or 5. I don't really care enough to upgrade it.
  • Well I feel like my computer is running fine for the things I do on it. The biggest thing I would ever do on it is convert video files to play on my iPad or convert mkv to run through my Xbox. However, the latter is no longer going to be an issue.
  • Surely those are not in the same league. Encoding a video is hard work. Taking a video track out of a container should take about as long as it takes a program like Win Explorer to show up
  • Hmmm...

If I were to upgrade my video card RIGHT NOW, what's the sweet spot in your guys' collective opinion? Difficulty: nvidia only. ;^)

Dat video card is trailing, but dat PC is still a supercomputer.
  • I like the $300 price point for buying a video card these days. I find that's about the horespower you need to drive the modern 1080P style monitors at high settings with new games.
  • edited September 2012
    Yeah $300 max, even though I bought my most recent video card EVGA GeForce GTX 550Ti 1gb at $140 with $20 mail in rebate. It's currently fitting all my gaming needs. So it's probably low end of what you want with all your video editing and game playing.

I remember buying the EVGA 8800 GTX or something at like $250 back in the day. That thing was a beast.
    Post edited by Rochelle on