This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• What are you doing where you can notice a difference in performance between 16 and 24 gigs?
  • Spreadsheets. Giant speadsheets.
  • Maya. Unity. Flash. Visual Studio. Other RAM-intensive programs.
    With 8GB now, Maya will sometimes go slowly.
  • What are you doing where you can notice a difference in performance between 16 and 24 gigs?
    Not much.
  • Everything is working perfectly and amazing. Except I snapped the data connector on one of my SATA drives. The plastic broke off into the cable, and the pins were bent and just hanging out there. I managed to slide the cable back onto the pins, and it miraculousy works!

I double backed everything up, just in case. Also, I had this backed up already, of course, that's why this is a double backup.

Windows updates...
  • Also, my apartment is a disaster now. Buying computer parts creates so much more trash than a pre-built machine. All this cardboard. I also rearranged the furniture slightly to accommodate the arms for the new monitors that aren't here yet. Now the couch and windowsill are covered in the shit that used to be on my desk.

A lot of this shit is getting thrown out!
  • Ok guys, this computer is the fastest. ZOMG. Except Internet is still slow, but yeah.
  • Ok guys, this computer is the fastest. ZOMG. Except Internet is still slow, but yeah.
    Battlestation pic?

There's nothing on my computer that I need NOW that much...yet.
    Battlestation pic?

Wait for monitors to show up and check the desk thread. In the mean time, here is the very nicely wired insides.

• Wow. I wish my comptuer would get that nicely wired when I upgrade it. It's already bad right now. :P
  • With so much stuff on board now (and quality stuff, too), it's hard NOT to have a case look like this I'd imagine.
  • This case just happens to let you put all the mess on the other side of the motherboard plate. See how the wires go out the holes and come back in? The other side is not pretty.
  • No need for a soundcard, CD audio cable, NIC...
    Please, you're making me nostalgic for my old HP Vectra IV.
    Truely we live in the future. ^_^
  • Hey, you guys remember SODIMM?
    NO, I don't wish to be reminded!
    Remember RDRAM!?!?!?!
  • edited August 2012
    Hey, you guys remember SODIMM?
    Remember RDRAM!?!?!?!
    Man, fuck RDRAM. Back in the early days of P4 on the Willamette chipset, we had a Gateway with RDRAM and a prototype P4 socket that Intel phased out after a year. When I tried to upgrade it so my brother could play WoW, noone was making RDRAM, and no CPUs were chipped out for the socket the mobo had. We had to order a new PC by default.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Hey, my computer stopped outputting video. It was working, I left to mow the lawn for about...45 minutes. When I came back, the computer was asleep. Upon waking, the video output wouldn't work. I've unplugged and replugged a lot of things, and looked at the computer. My video card's fan, and every other fan, is spinning. My computer stays running. None of the "stuff is broken" LEDs are on. It just stopped outputting video.

Is it possible that it just overheated? I'm not really sure, it's in a basement and the card feels cool to the touch. Regardless...Any suggestions beyond what I've already done?
  • First try a different monitor cable if you've got one around. Then a different monitor. Then a different graphics card.

Ya know, assuming you've got extras. :P
  • edited August 2012
    Don't have an extra graphics card. I have two monitors and neither one is displaying with either cable. I don't think it's them or the cables since both stopped working simultaneously.

Edit: New cable on one of them doesn't make it work. Also, my startup sounds played over my speakers. Everything except the display seems fine.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Well, nothing I'm trying will make the DVI ports on it work. The only other outputs are Displayport, which neither monitor uses.
    I'm gonna turn it back on in a few hours. If still nothing, might give ASUS a call. I've heard their RMA is a bitch, though. It should still be under the Newegg three-year warranty, the card's only a year old. I hate it when something's working and then just stops for no discernible reason.
    All the reviews for my card say it can handle multiple monitors, no reason to believe that two monitors would make BOTH of the DVI ports stop functioning. The fan is still spinning, so clearly the graphics card is receiving power and I haven't overloaded the PSU. It's 750W, so I don't think power is the issue.

*Sigh.*
  • Well, monitors work. Also seem to have thrown away the most external of my graphics card's box...The part that had the serial number. Might not be able to take advantage of my 3-year warranty without it.
    Piece. Of. Shit.
  • Lost my ups/surge protector. It lasted for 9 years. I'm ok with that.
  • Lost my ups/surge protector. It lasted for 9 years. I'm ok with that.
    You might be able to just get a new battery for it. We've had some last a lot less than 9 years. Have we done a show on UPSes?
  • I replaced the battery in one only to have the logic board fail catastrophically a year later. :P
  • I replaced the battery in one only to have the logic board fail catastrophically a year later. :P
    Buy the same model as a replacement, and then you have a spare battery for it already.
    Buy the same model as a replacement, and then you have a spare battery for it already.
    Nah, it was a super expensive server grade APC unit. It was destined for the trash bin because it's batteries were bad so I saved it. I didn't think of replacing it with the same one at the time, but it would be been several hundred dollars. I just got a Cyperpower instead, it's worked great.