This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• Even the ATX power connector has four more pins than it did some years ago.
    That's just the 4 pins that used to be grouped separate from the ATX connector, in my personal experience.
  • lol, one of these things on the Newegg list comes with a free Tribes:Ascend Coupon.
  • Shipping would be expensive..

Hey did I mention I'm trying to build my daughter an updated PC...? ;-)
  • http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15726174

Please ignore the two magnetic drives. They are not for this computer. They are to fill my NAS which has two empty slots.
  • Wow.. have fun with that vidcard. D'you really need a $500 video card for SFM or even Adobe Creative Suite stuff? I doubt you need that kind of power for just working, at least for the sort of stuff you'd probably be doing, so is it really worth that much just to cut down on rendering time?
  • Also, 650 watt PSU seems overkill to me. You need 500 at most, but probably even less than that.
  • Wow.. have fun with that vidcard. D'you really need a $500 video card for SFM or even Adobe Creative Suite stuff? I doubt you need that kind of power for just working, at least for the sort of stuff you'd probably be doing, so is it really worth that much just to cut down on rendering time?
    A lot of video editing software is offloading rendering computations to the GPU. The GPU has become useful for a lot more than just flinging as many polygons as possible onto the screen in your favorite FPS.
    A lot of video editing software is offloading rendering computations to the GPU. The GPU has become useful for a lot more than just flinging as many polygons as possible onto the screen in your favorite FPS.
    While that's true, I'm just questioning Apreche's necessity for a $500 GPU. Like really, what sort of creativity d'you plan on outputting that requires *that* powerful a card?
    Hell, if it's just for treating yourself, have at. I'm honestly curious since it's so blatantly a moneysink in this particular build.

• That's a far better videocard than even I have. Granted, I have to play most games with vsync off to get an acceptable framerate.
    CUDA.

Am I stupid to consider another $500 for SLI? It used to be stupid to get SLI because there were times when it was actually slower! Now it seems like SLI is at the point where it is actually twice as good, since you have two cards. Also, the PCI Express 3.0 bus goes at 16x, but if you SLI it is 2 cards at 8x each. That isn't actually a problem because it seems the video cards can't come close to filling the 16x bus. The other thing about SLI is that a bigger PSU is required to get two more GPU power connectors.

I also have a concern about maximum resolution and connecting. If I do go crazy and get two 24" Ultrasharps, will they even work with just one video card? It says the maximum resolution of the card is 2560x1600. The monitor is 1920x1200. Two of the monitors is 3840x1200, which is more than 2560x1600 pixels. The video card has only one display port connector, and I would rather use than than DVI or HDMI. If I SLI could I connect both monitors with Display port, one to each video card?

I am feeling in a blow all my moneys mood because I learned that the other guy at work spent $2200 on a Macbook Pro Retina display, and this is cheaper!
  • I am feeling in a blow all my moneys mood because I learned that the other guy at work spent $2200 on a Macbook Pro Retina display, and this is cheaper!
    Normally I'd say that's dumb, but I'm working around too many Mac people right now and would love to pull some shit like that.
  • I also hate Macs.
  • I usually like a computer to last five years. This one I have now I ordered in April 2008, so it's only been 4.25 years. Eight months off...
  • My friend who is a lot more knowledgeable than me in such matter recommended this combo for being able to play modern games in decent graphics.

Computer
    Graphics Card

Thoughts?
  • So I opened my computer just now. to take a peek, and I learned some things.

I only have 4GB of RAM now. I thought I had 8. Going from 4 to 32...
    My current PSU is 500W, and would probably work in a new PC, so I could save money by using it, but that would mean whoever got this perfectly good PC next would need a PSU.
    This PC is really quiet, mission accomplished.
    Oh yeah, it was a big deal that this motherboard had all solid state capacitors. Now it seems like the big marketing gimmick is that you have all Japanese capacitors.

But there is one thing that is crazier than all of those.

There is a 500 Gigabyte hard drive in this computer that is not attached to anything. I seem to remember detaching it when I added the SSD because there weren't enough SATA connectors. The motherboard I picked out has 8 SATA connectors, so oh snap! But I definitely don't need oh so many drives.
  • My friend who is a lot more knowledgeable than me in such matter recommended this combo for being able to play modern games in decent graphics.

Computer
    Graphics Card

Thoughts?
    That is very similar spec-wise to my HTPC. It is definitely a great computer that can do all sorts of modern computing, and it can definitely play lots of games. It just can't play anything with high a high framerate, or with the graphics turned all the way up, or at high resolution, or something really new and graphically intense.

For example, I just looked at the Steam store and the newest game listed there is Max Payne 3. That computer is on the low end, but it is better than the minimum spec. It can theoretically play a brand new game with a low setting of some sort. With games that are a little older, or with lower settings, it will be more than adequate.

Computer
    Graphics Card

Thoughts?
    Are you willing to build something yourself? If so you can do a little better.

• Ok, so I confirmed that SLI will not help anything I do, and is not needed to get the monitors on there, so one video card and the same PSU as it stands.

Also realized that the case did not have USB 3.0 on the front ports, but there is a newer version of the case that does have it, and is barely more expensive. Also, the newer version of the case...

DAT CABLE MANAGEMENT

Computer
    Graphics Card

Thoughts?
    Are you willing to build something yourself? If so you can do a little better.

I have no idea what I'm doing and little time to learn. She could probably build one for me though.
  • There is a 500 Gigabyte hard drive in this computer that is not attached to anything. I seem to remember detaching it when I added the SSD because there weren't enough SATA connectors. The motherboard I picked out has 8 SATA connectors, so oh snap! But I definitely don't need oh so many drives. I feel it's worth noting that your case only has 6 3.5" drive bays.

• There is a 500 Gigabyte hard drive in this computer that is not attached to anything. I seem to remember detaching it when I added the SSD because there weren't enough SATA connectors. The motherboard I picked out has 8 SATA connectors, so oh snap! But I definitely don't need oh so many drives.
    I feel it's worth noting that your case only has 6 3.5" drive bays.

I only have 3 3.5" drives. The case also has two dedicated 2.5" bays for the SSDs!
  • Ordered it, went all out. I even ordered two new 24" Ultrasharps with arm mounts. My not yet mid-life crisis is cheaper than a convertible, so it's ok right?!

Also, a lot of people are really expressing interest in my current 4+ year old equipment. My parents are a possibility since their Dell/Ubuntu laptop is not so happy these days. Even a co-worker said he wanted it. I'd really rather see stuff go to someone who is most in need, but I am also lazy and want to give it to someone who can just take it without the pain in the ass of shipping.
  • Convertibles are a lot more fun. ~_^
  • I would like a computer. My desktop is from like 2006 and is showing its age. My netbook is pretty much shot since it was kinda shitty to begin with, and my laptop isn't really mine. Plus, it turns out my school won't get giving me a new one until next year and that likely will be be a referb of some other kids old laptop.
  • Keep walking into my room and wondering when my computer turned off but it turns out the fans are nearly off when my computer is idle.
  • edited July 2012
    Wrong thread.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Hrm... my desktop is having a random non-heat related crash once per week now. I'm uncertain yet what's causing it... but it's probably an actual hardware issue I think. In which case I may as well just do a re-build. Computers four years old now.
  • Ordered it, went all out. I even ordered two new 24" Ultrasharps with arm mounts. My not yet mid-life crisis is cheaper than a convertible, so it's ok right?!
    Convertibles are a lot more fun. ~_^
    Not a convertable, but why not both?
  • After I'm done working at iD Camps and get all my paychecks, I plan on spending ~$450 on computer upgrades. I have a Newegg wishlist.
    http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14138049
    Thoughts? I want to keep everything around this price range. The cheap Wireless card is because the $50 I got with my computer started to make it Bluescreen last December, and this wireless card is $20 and has a 4/5.
  • Update:
    Found that my Mobo could support more RAM than I thought, so I changed from another 8GB to another 16GB (for a boost to 24 total). Brought the price to $500, which is acceptable.