This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• edited August 2013
    So yeah, I'm looking to buy a new mouse. An actually really good one, rather than just a functional little piece that makes my cursor go around. One with thumb buttons. Any suggestions?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Razor Imperator.
  • Razor Imperator.
    Seconded. I've been using one for about twelve months now, it's a great mouse.
  • Or just any Razor really, they're very good. I don't like a million buttons, so I went with an Imperator.
  • Razor mice look silly, but they are actually good. I use them in PAX PC area, and have done well.
  • Logitech G600 is my favourite.
  • I'm rocking a corsair M95 and i couldn't be happier. I got it at a huge discount at Pax east and it has turned out to be the best mouse I've ever had. That being said, hard-top mouse pads are god's gift to mankind.
  • My Logitech G9x is showing no signs of wearing out, even after two and a half years of hard use.
  • I need a new heatsink, as my stock Intel sink fell off while shipping my computer. Any suggestions?
  • edited August 2013
    Arctic cooling Freezer Pro 17 is cheap. What processor are you using?

@Scott: http://www.overclock.net/t/1205038/intel-stock-cooler-club-the-hottest-club-around-d
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • An Ivy Bridge i5-3470, I think.
  • An Ivy Bridge i5-3470, I think.
    Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo for a simple tower, small footprint heatsink (however it is 6.3" tall, should fit in all cases without huge side case fans above the CPU).

However if you move a lot I would recommend having a look at closed loop water coolers like the Corsair 100i. There is virtually no weight on the CPU but a radiator needs to be fixed to the inside of the case.
  • Closed loop water cooler is not something you'd use unless you really mean to. A cheap air cooler will do ok.
  • If the stock Intel heatsink came off you didn't have it properly attached or you are being waaay too rough with your computer. Why not just reattach it?
  • If the stock Intel heatsink came off you didn't have it properly attached or you are being waaay too rough with your computer. Why not just reattach it?
    The Intel heatsink holds into the motherboard with these shitty plastic hooks, and two of them broke. Also, it's the fault of UPS, not me.

I was probably going to replace the stock heatsink anyways.
  • Does anyone have experience with the Razer Nostromo or other peripherals like it?

I have some "pinky" problems when using K+M controls and often mix up L-Shift and L-Ctrl. Would one of these work or should I just remap my key bindings?
  • The Intel heatsink holds into the motherboard with these shitty plastic hooks, and two of them broke. Also, it's the fault of UPS, not me.

You can get the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo or standard (the only difference is the fan) for $20 - 30. I only suggested this one because it was reasonably priced but is also very effective in overclocking setups if you need it.

If you want it to be super quiet (as in much quieter than the intel fan) you can get the fanless heatsink and grab a Noctua NF-F12 fan.
    The Intel heatsink holds into the motherboard with these shitty plastic hooks, and two of them broke. Also, it's the fault of UPS, not me.

Move your computer in your car. :P

I have a hyper 212 evo and it's very nice. You'll have to remove the motherboard to install it, but it locks down very securely.
  • In what car? I live in New York.
  • Then you carry it.
  • I drove my computer from Melbourne to Sydney then had it moved with my furniture to the other side of the country and it all worked.

However when my Dad used Fedex to send it to me in a regional centre inside the same state, it arrived with a cracked motherboard.

I got so angry I built a new computer from scratch.
  • I have never been so angry that I built a new computer from scratch. Way to focus that rage!
  • Online power supply calculators. Are they accurate? I put in some numbers, and the result seems suspiciously low.
  • They are accurate, but you should leave ample room.
  • Let me know how many hard drives and GPUs you've got.
  • I put in 1 x Nvidia GTX770, 2 x spinning platters, and 1 x SSD. It said something like 435 watts.
  • I had a 6850 (Mid range, single fan card.), 2 HDDs, and 4 fans, mine came out at <500w so I bought a 600w Corsair. Added an SSD since and had no problems.
  • I had a quad core, 6870, 5 HDDs and 4 fans that I ran on a 380 watt PSU without any trouble.
  • Looked around and general advice is 400-500w for single GPU and 700w for dual.
  • Looked around and general advice is 400-500w for single GPU and 700w for dual.
    These calculators seem to be a bit off some go a bit too low others go too high.

I put the specs of my computer in and the recommendation was 1300 odd watts but I've been running stable on 1000 watts on the one power supply for over 5 years in 2 different overclocked builds.

I would recommend going for 500 - 600w to allow for extra components but it is more important to get a good power supply.