This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• Yeah, from what I can tell the 2600K and 16gigs ram will last for at least another year (if not two).

Tell me, what will you be doing in two years that you'll need more RAM for? Are you making RAM disks to play your games off of?
  • I should have said 2+ years. Pedant. :p
  • So I'm looking for GPU to replace my AMD 6870. I didn't realize I had bought that in 2010-NOV, feels like forever ago. Anyway, I have issue. I was gonna get a GTX 770 cause that seems about the best in the $300-ish price point, but those cards won't fit in my very old case, they're too long. A 760 would, but I wanted something slightly more beasty, but a 760 would be a big jump. Or should I just wait at this point for 800 series cards?
  • The 800 series will not be any smaller. Get a new case.
  • I must be on the same upgrade cycle as George, my crossfire 6970's are starting to show their age but I'll wait it out till the nVidia 800 series or whatever it ends up being. I'm done with the AMD team taking their sweet time to optimise drivers and not working with game makers. Plus they generally seem to run hot enough to make fan speeds acoustically problematic.
  • Apreche said:

The 800 series will not be any smaller. Get a new case.

But I've had this one since 2003, I like it. If a 860 is like a 760, it should fit.
  • So... How about Razer's new PC prototype with the modular design?
  • I wasn't aware the PCs had ceased being modular in the last decade.
  • Yes, that looks cool, but PCs are still already modular.
  • EVGA GTX 770 SC purchased. Thank you credit card rewards for the Amazon $100.
  • edited January 2014
    I think you'll be happy with that card, and any case that doesn't fit it is probably not worth keeping at the end of the day if you're into getting a powerhouse machine, so whatever you gotta do for that, make it so.

I'm curious to know how the card works for you, as I sometimes wonder if a single 770 would be a better deal than my twin 660ti cards, but doesn't seen to be worth switching now, as I have had no issues with SLI to speak of and the dual cards makes me feel badass.

I'm thinking I'll just wait and save and upgrade to twin 870s...

Post edited by SWATrous on
  • I've never done a twin card, I've always gone with a single card. Whenever that card can no longer hack it, I replace it rather than double down. :P
  • edited January 2014
    I've been going crossfire / sli since the ATI 4870.
    In my experience it is really helpful if you play at high resolution and it usually lets me skip an extra cycle of video cards.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • The 770 fit in my case after all. Also I went from having everything set to low in BF4 in order to keep my FPS above 60 to now being able to run on ultra with 4x MSAA. The jump in perfermance and quality is really impressive.
  • We're video card brothers now!
  • Awesome, glad it fits. When I get home we can jam some BF4 on ultra!
  • edited January 2014
    SWATrous said:

Awesome, glad it fits. When I get home we can jam some BF4 on ultra!

BF4, you say? Add me, Omnutia and I play reasonably regularly. I'm shithouse, but I make a good meat shield, and I occasionally pull off something Brilliant and/or insane.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited January 2014
    Churba and I got in an hour of BF4 last night. We played a silly version of Operation Locker that was pistols and knives only. Mad fun was had. This card is nuts, should have upgraded sooner.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Yeah, that was crazy fun.
  • Count me in on this field-battling! (next time)
  • What do people use for mice these days? My mouse's right button seems to be wearing out.
  • I got a Logitech G600 and convinced 2 of my friends to do so as well. Very full featured and rather affordable.
  • I think I have a Razer Naga. I never use the side buttons but the DPI buttons on top get much use.
  • I have a Razer Imperator. Very much like it, much DPI, such FPS percision.
  • Make sure to put a good pad under there. I'm using the Steelseries 4HD with my Logitech G9x.
  • I use the G700, a hybrid wired/wireless mouse with a nice set of extra buttons.
  • Still going strong with the Razer Deathadder 7 years and still can't be beat for right handed palm grip users.

The 2013 update puts it in line with all the current mice.
  • I try palm gripping my mouse and I get about and inch off the front. Crazy spider hands.
  • I have a Razer Imperator. Very much like it, much DPI, such FPS percision.

Ditto. Bloody good mouse, very comfortable.