This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• You people have no fucking idea how loud the world really is. Holy shit.

I'm glad I get to turn it off sometimes. My mornings are blissfully silent.
    I assure you sir, having ADHD, I am acutely aware of how loud everything is.
  • But if everything is loud, is anything truly loud?

Think about it man.
  • Yes...yes it is.
  • My usual test is, can I get to sleep with it in the same room.
    I can sleep next to a hairdryer, so that isn't a good metric.

If I notice a sound, it's too loud. Computers are super loud in that higher register unless you have hearing loss.

Far worse than any computer, however, is a bad CRT. I am amazed at how few people can hear that screeching whine that comes out of most older TVs.

• Are the fans on the front of your computer PWM (4 pins with the extra blue wire.)?
  • I'm surprisingly good at ignoring computer noise. It never really inconveniences me that much.
  • I have had no problems with sleeping because of the sounds my computer lets out, but the light in the power button is ridiculous. In otherwise dark room it lights up in bright blue glow, almost bright enough to read in.

• Typing noise bothers me much more than computer noise. The thing is it's not the keyboard, it's the person and the way they type. You could have one person with cherry keys not bother me and Rym on a chiclet keyboard driving me nuts. He hits the keys with excessive unnecessary force.
  • He hits the keys with excessive unnecessary force.
    I'm just really strong.

Blame bouldering, piano, and those finger exercises I do. ;^)

I'm just really strong.

True strength also includes the ability to control strength. Being the Hulk and smashing the keyboard accidentally is bad. Being Bruce Lee and catching a fly while it is still alive and then letting it go is true power. A master of typing would manage to type at an insane rate with no sound whatsoever on a model M.
  • edited August 2013
    He hits the keys with excessive unnecessary force.
    I'm just really strong.

True strength also includes the ability to control strength. Being the Hulk and smashing the keyboard accidentally is bad. Being Bruce Lee and catching a fly while it is still alive and then letting it go is true power. A master of typing would manage to type at an insane rate with no sound whatsoever on a model M.
    And now I want to see a shonen typing manga.
    Post edited by Churba on
    I'm just really strong.

And now I want to see a shonen typing manga.
    So say we all.
  • Wouldn't that basically be Korean Starcraft?
  • Wouldn't that basically be Korean Starcraft?
    They have one hand on the mouse, and don't use every key on the keyboard.

Imagine, that villainous rival who uses DVORAK.

And the master of alt+#### unicode!

Oh no! A key got broken and they're still typing using the exposed switch!
  • The DVORAK thing would make the best dramatic reveal ever.
  • Is there a typing of the Initial D game I don't know about? Or is it just a PS2 keyboard that happens to be Initial D themed, but not actually useful for any particular game? Or is there a racing game that expects you to use the keyboard?
  • Can't wait to get my aftermarket heatsink for my CPU. These Haswells run super hot.
  • edited August 2013
    What are you getting? I was looking at converting one of these for GPU cooling. Water cooling for $25 after MIR.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103179
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I've got a Cooler Master 212 Evo. I'm old fashioned, I don't like mixing water and electronics.
  • If you don't use the stock cooler, you are either a tool or a fool.
  • Well seeing as I can my CPU to throttle from heat at stock speeds with a stress test, I'll take tool.
  • Seriously though, my Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 is pretty awesome for how cheap it is though I originally got it because the fan on my Pentium D was getting rattly.

Scott:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1205038/intel-stock-cooler-club-the-hottest-club-around-d
  • I had a Freezer Pro 7 on my Core 2 Quad. It was a little tight around some of the components on the MB, but otherwise a great little cooler.
  • I wanna play that.
  • edited August 2013
    So the massive 120mm heatsink is only just enough to keep it running at 3.9GHz during the max heat stress test. As my goal was to get my CPU to cool enough to run at the max 3.9GHz all the time, I am very pleased with the results. Seems to have almost no overclocking head room, even if I wanted to overclock. Under a regular load, my CPU now runs 20C cooler. Makes no more noise than the stock heatsink, which is to say it's siltent.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I assume that Haswell is running hot due to having almost double the number of transistors in a smaller die when compared to my Bloomfield. Plus I guess most of the Haswells have GPU's onboard too.

It's unfortunate there is no head room on the newer CPUs.

I'm still running an i7 930 overclocked to 4.2ghz (I couldn't keep it stable at 4.4ghz) on air only (using an old Thermalright Venomous X cooler).

The stock fan was loud as hell compared to when I switched to the aftermarket parts.