This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Oh, most colleges and universities have shit IT or CS programs if they even have them.

RIT has an entire college dedicated to all of its computer-related degress: GCCIS. IT requires a good deal of real programming.
  • Indeed. GCCIS is a great college, lots of solid, well-made majors.
  • edited October 2012
    In reality, they need to put IT/CS/SE be a separate "school" than either engineering or "arts and sciences" (itself probably the most bastardized school) rather than department for various reasons, but there's no budget for that here.
    Splitting it away from Electrical Engineering is a terrible idea.

I think the way my alma mater (The University of Queensland) does it is pretty sensible - we have a separate School of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (ITEE) (they also manage CS and SE, as you would expect), which lies within the Faculty of Engineering, Architecture and Information Technology (EAIT).
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited October 2012
    I went to USU for a year then transferred to WSU and besides WSU's CS program being more robust than USU's (IMO) they were very much in the same direction of teaching you how to program in C/C++ then diving headlong into theory before capping it with an understanding of OS architecture and advanced themes like compiler design and concurrency.

WSU had a BA in CS as well as a BS. The BA was supposed to be for people who wanted a working knowledge of software development but leaving some credits for what was meant to be art classes. It ended up just being for all the lazy kids that kept failing the upper tier classes.

USU had specializations of the CS degree, but it was mostly just choosing your electives for you and making them required.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited October 2012
    Perhaps EE should be split off from the college of engineering then as well. We also had CS/EE double majors (which implied a math minor) but there were only a few each year.

The college of engineering had aerospace, biological, chemical, civil, electrical, mechanical, naval, nuclear, and then CS and IT. CS and later IT were definitely on a lower rung as far as the school was concerned.

But hey, at least we became an SEC school. :(
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • My alma mater, Brown
    you went to brown? *high five*
  • edited October 2012
    My alma mater, Brown
    you went to brown? *high five*
    Yes I did. Class of 2000 (okay, '98 originally, but I had to take some time off). :) *high five*. I assume you're a fellow Brunonian?

Anyway, at Brown, Computer Science got its own department (and building) after being split from Applied Mathematics (which actually wasn't a bad pairing at first, given how much of applied math involves using computation for solving differential equations, chaos theory, etc.). However, while it's not grouped with Electrical Engineering, all computer science majors who are aiming for a Bachelor of Science degree are required to take courses in electrical engineering -- basically digital logic and computer architecture. Even if you're going for a Bachelor of Arts degree, there is still a very basic computer architecture class that all students are required to take. While you use a simulator to lay out your circuits (a highly customized version of diglog), you still had to make a working, but very simple, CPU for one of your projects.

Computer Engineering was introduced as a new major my last semester at school. It basically bridges the gap between Computer Science and Electrical Engineering as sort of combination of hardware and software thing. If it had been offered a couple of years earlier, that probably would've been my own major.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Yes I did. Class of 2000 (okay, '98 originally, but I had to take some time off). :) *high five*. I assume you're a fellow Brunonian?
    Kind of. Class of 07, Studied Math-CS for two years & took time off (rite of passage), then transferred and finished at RISD studying Industrial Design. Been in Providence 9 years now...
  • I am the EGGMAN, that's what I am. I am the EGGMAN, I got the master plan!
    I fuckin' love that song.
    It's hard to play on Beatles Rock Band primarily because of the extremely loud (and seizure inducing) background visuals. Love the song, though.
    It's hard to play on Beatles Rock Band primarily because of the extremely loud (and seizure inducing) background visuals. Love the song, though.
    I think sonic is talking about this.

• The #IkuharaWorld tag on Twitter has been incredibly entertaining this morning.
  • Ah, I can't see the video you linked but I thought the lyrics were not quite right. :-)
  • Yes I did. Class of 2000 (okay, '98 originally, but I had to take some time off). :) *high five*. I assume you're a fellow Brunonian?
    Kind of. Class of 07, Studied Math-CS for two years & took time off (rite of passage), then transferred and finished at RISD studying Industrial Design. Been in Providence 9 years now...
    Gotcha. That's still cool. Hell, my wife went to RISD for Graphic Design.
  • edited October 2012
    It's not that I dislike Math or CS.. I love them a lot, actually. But terrible tendonitis gave me the off-time to realize I did not want a career in Math or CS. That said, I think I've made most of my life decisions without any clue.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Nothing wrong with changing directions in majors/studies. I did it myself -- hence my own time off.
  • Oh certainly, but RISD is a mess. If I did it again, I'd probably go for a engineering-design program instead. But hey, I found a fiance in the meantime. *can't complain*
  • Heh, yeah, I've heard some good stories about RISD from my wife, so I know where you're coming from there.
  • We've hosted some exchange students from Sweden & Denmark. They ask me repeatedly "Is it always this way?!" about things related to 1. US politics 2. checks 3. RISD.
  • All of the official PAX curse words/phrases should become white cards in Cards Against Humanity.
  • All of the official PAX curse words/phrases should become white cards in Cards Against Humanity.
    A good use for the blank cards included in the expansions.
    I think sonic is talking about this.
    Ya think?
  • Wait software engineering is different than cs at rit? Wtf?
    SE is more focus on the process of software development (design patterns, etc.), while CS has heavier emphasis on theory.
  • CS: Write a bubble sort.
    SE: Tell someone else to write a sort.
    CE: Design an embedded circuit to do a bubble sort.

AN: Design a network.
    IT: Everything ever.

IT: Set clocks
    FTFY

IT: Set clocks really accurately
    FTFY
    FTFTFY

• "Resentment is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die."
    SE: Learn why bubble sorts might be useful in a business application.

GDD: Test for collisions.
    IT: A bunch of different specialtastic shit.
    FTFY.

• edited October 2012
    CS: Write a bubble sort.
    SE: Learn why bubble sorts might be useful in a business application.

GDD: Test for collisions.
    IT: A bunch of different specialtastic shit and support it.
    RCTVA: Make everything people's minds consume.
    Eeyup.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on