This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• SWATrous said:

It'd be hard to imagine the average person having a device to read things from today in 100 years.

In 100 years, HTML from today will very likely still be renderable. Or, the text itself is re-marked-up with more modern metadata.

Web pages from the beginning of the Internet are just fine today (if someone saved them somewhere). Most of the content on Gopher servers was mostly automatically ported to newer systems.

The digital revolution is staggering. Data can be replicated, and content can be replicated independent of markup, metadata, or even rendering.

We will indeed have more information available about today 100 years from now than at any previous 100 year leap in history.
  • What are the websites you think will confound future anthropologists the most? I nominate Timecube.
  • Depends on your definition of "confounds." A lot of conspiracy websites will probably be looked upon with a clinical interest, but probably confuse researchers on a personal level. Hell, whole subreddits could confuse and annoy them just with how inane or batshit their premise is.
  • Greg said:

What are the websites you think will confound future anthropologists the most? I nominate Timecube.

They won't be confounded. They'll be so confident that they think they 90% understand it, but actually only understand 50% of it at best.
  • I am highly suspicious of a retailer selling an NVIDIA Quadro for 79% off MSRP. Even more suspicious of them for not offering Prime shipping.
  • It's really weird and nice to have my old history teacher as a friend on Facebook. It does always have a strange feel when she likes a thing I wouldn't immediately associate with her, but simultaneously she's one of only two people on there who is as historically literate as me.
  • You were one of those kids that skewed the curve for everyone, weren't you?
  • I did terribly in school. The way one teacher put it was that I was a grad student stuck in high school. I nearly failed 10th grade World History because I didn't keep a binder. I would have failed completely if I didn't luck out when the final essay was on World War I, which was my favorite period at the time. I did poorly on essays because I made arguments the teachers hadn't heard before so they refused to listen. I remember writing for AP European History that the Creation of Adam was influenced by humanist writings that had been published for two centuries in Germany and England. I got a C because it was "improbable". Often times I was offended by the curriculum. I was told by my World History teacher that we wouldn't be covering the My Lai massacre because she wanted to get "the Vietnamese perspective" on the war. My 11th grade US History teacher gave us a reading that claimed that African Americans did not see the US as the moral superior to Nazi Germany because Jim Crow laws were in effect (I was able to point out the absurdity of this to her, and she admitted it was a wild claim -- which can't be said of my best friend at the time, who took the same stand two periods earlier with no success). This was the same teacher who was a 9/11 truther and tried to convince me by playing a clip of Hunter Thompson talking about distrust of the government over footage of the towers falling. This was also the teacher who is now my friend on Facebook, so that tells you how well we got along. Though, to be fair to her, I could have gotten a C+ or B- if it wasn't for the fact that I was in both her US History class and her Foreign Policy class (which I did slightly better in), and in reach back English. I wasn't able to keep up with both my English classes, so when she had a book club in both her classes, I was supposed to read four books at once. Nothing good was going to come from that.

My AP Government teacher got me, tho. There was one instance when I had been discharged from McLeans on Friday, and there was a test on Tuesday. On Monday, I asked her if I had to take the test, and she said that anyone else would be excused, but I should try to take it and do it over again if I didn't like the result. The result was a B+, so we just kept going. She was always very accommodating and supportive of me. I gave her two of my DNC and RNC '72 passes I'd gotten from my grandfather (I had each in tripplicate). She and my US History/FoPo teacher were the only ones who recognized that I was fine with the grades I was getting and shouldn't try to convince me otherwise.

My failure in Art History was legit, but then Ms Freedman had been a curator for major art museums in LA and NYC for twenty years before she became a teacher. I learned more from that class than every other humanities class I took at that school combined. It was the most difficult class at arguably the most difficult public high school in the country, so I'm actually kind of proud of the %55 I earned in that class.
  • It is the nature of history classes till BA that you are stuck doing bollocks and learning nothing more than how to pass a test rather than actually learning anything. Hell the first year of Uni was spent having to teach most of the year how to reference and construct an argument. It is only though doing Philosophy that I was able to dodge that stuff. But yeah pretty much anything you learn till BA is only good for knowing the odd date, you don't get to anything of importance for a donkeys age.
  • I'm surprised they took your grade down because they disagreed with you. A lot of the time it seems like they mostly just want to see if you seem to know the material and it fits the rubric.
  • Depends on the teacher and the class. AP classes don't give a shit about your opinion, because College Board certainly doesn't. I took the AP US History test just to prove I could, and learned how terrifyingly autocratic it is. Claims that historians have been arguing about for decades with no conclusive answer would be there as multiple choice. I got through Gov because that curriculum is centered around primary sources without much room for interpretation. AP Euro was a nightmare. I knew more than that teacher (she was, like, 27, and clearly majored in education rather than history) and would routinely correct factual inaccuracy or omission of a vital part of the subject. It happened so often I ultimately transferred out of the class because it was too exhausting. She said she would miss me, so at least she thought that some of what I said had merit apparently.

The toughest was the teacher who said I needed to be in grad school. She was an English teacher by trade but picked up history along the way. She never gave me a break when I went to outside sources. She wouldn't admit that I knew things she didn't. It was such to the point where I lost points for calling Germans bellicose on the grounds that it was stereotyping after I had listed how often war broke out in Germany during the Protestant Reformation. Fortunately my section wound up with a student teacher who was willing to admit I knew more than him, which is the only way I passed that year.

Ironically, the best grade I ever got on a history essay was for an English class. I wrote a histiographical piece on how Hawthorn remembered the the Puritan era, and the influence that the second Great Reformation had on him. Even managed to work in an Andrew Jackson reference without getting marked down for going off topic. Got a 90 on that. If only I'd realized that I could do historical analysis in English classes earlier, I may have done better in them.
  • One of my dogs is small and old, and what with the weather turning cold she gets chilly quite easily. So we got her a little dog hoodie thing. It was only when putting it on her did I realise that it was basically a Guts hoodie. This has made me surprisingly happy.
  • When Roxxy, a pug, had surgery they gave her a hoodie to wear while the fur grew back and damn I didn't realize she was cosplaying Kill La Kill until just now.
  • Occasionally, we put a necktie on our cat Oreo.
  • Business cat?
  • Twitter's 'while you were away' feature keeps asking me "do you like this?", I always reply "No".

Please stop.
  • Loop controls are back on Chrome

• edited February 2016
    I've been doing some small visual improvements to the Embroidery shop, and today was finishing off spray-painting(with a compressor and gun, no rattle can shit here) and then re-installing some big steel security screens I made up ages ago. The old enamel was falling apart, so I took them all the way back to metal, prepped, treated any rust(with a power file), sprayed them, a nice neutral grey instead of cheap rattle-can enamel white. Looks great!

Hardest part, though, is carefully wrestling two 22 kilo(roughly 45 pound) screens into place next to the glass without breaking anything, holding it in place with one hand(and shoulder, and a lot of manly grunting) then bolting back into the wall with the other hand. That was a prick of a job, fucking sweating like a priest at choir practice.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

fucking sweating like a priest at choir practice.

All I could think of
  • I'm tired of seeing white people talk shit like "the Black Panthers are just as bad as the KKK!" Some are just that sort of naive colorblind "why are you making X a race issue" (when it obviously is) type of person but its just especially ironic when they're really pro gun people. Like you guys do realize they were a group of armed citizens out there trying to protect themselves from government persecution. Kinda seems like that should be right up your alley. That's not to say there aren't criticisms to be had of their Marxist doctrine and potential drug dealing and whatnot but that's far from saying they are the black version of the KKK.
  • edited February 2016
    I don't have a lot of background knowledge of the Black Panthers, but, calling them a hate group is a new one to me. I always likened them more to a sort of biker gang vigilante/outlaw thing where there are some good/bad/ugly sides to it, but I don't recall the black panthers being all about lynching people to try and maintain a racist status quo?

I think some people are just confused that race is still a thing that some recognize as a legitimate concept in modern society, and are linking any group that has had any racial issues as a platform as putting them on equal grounds of being a racist group. But others are just being rather racist on some level and using that to skew their opinion.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • edited February 2016
    Today's gold medal winner for "Unintentionally answering the question":

"So, if you know what's up, then let me ask: why do you think Orthogames are the only real games, and Ideogames aren't?"

"Those are just made up bullshit terms!"

Question answered, then.

Extra bonuses - He was accusing "We Know the Devil" of not being a game, and before he threw a fit about being told he didn't know what he was on about, we did in good faith try to set him straight. With a video clip from a lecture. From a Date Nighto employee, though it was non-obvious. He literally never noticed because he didn't even watch the video.

Also, aren't all words made up bullshit? I mean, it's not like we found English just sunning itself on a rock and domesticated it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Ceci n'est pas un pipe?
  • Si vous pouvez fumer, qu'importe?
  • Ideogames was coined by Rym, IIRC.
  • Greg said:

Ceci n'est pas un pipe?

Churba said:

Si vous pouvez fumer, qu'importe?

• edited February 2016

Ideogames was coined by Rym, IIRC.

I know. I'd already shown the guy what it meant, practically led him by the nose to it, and why you might want to use it - he refused on the grounds that it was a made-up term, despite not being able to actually define what a game is beyond the implied "If I don't like it, it's not a game".

Orthogame certainly isn't, though.

Though I have been hearing it around in places and from people completely unconnected, so it is spreading, on the upside.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

Ideogames was coined by Rym, IIRC.

I know. I'd already shown the guy what it meant, practically led him by the nose to it, and why you might want to use it - he refused on the grounds that it was a made-up term, despite not being able to actually define what a game is beyond the implied "If I don't like it, it's not a game".
    Give the guy a fake tartan and see if he gets it (I doubt it).