This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Non-Shit-Talk of Your Day

Comments

• I WILL TEST THIS AMAZING CREATION.
  • Put together some flat-pack shelving for my sister. And no it wasn't Ikea.
  • Luke, it would be my pleasure.
  • I'm not posting links in the open forum, but anyone is free to check out the movie as it is at the moment. I'll only be changing anything if there are grievous errors in spelling or grammar that I missed.

Also, feedback on the poster/DVD cover would be appreciated.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2012
    grievous errors

Post edited by Rym on
  • Next project completed! I just did the final continuity and fact checking on the third novel in my science fiction series. And I even completed a book cover to go with it.

All I need to do now is the ebook formatting and then I can upload it to my website. I started this series in 2008, as part of a NaNoWriMo project along with other forum people. The other two book covers are by an old member of the forum too. It's been quite a journey.

I completed the first draft of Broken Glass so long ago that the science and technology in it is out of date (no longer an Endeavour shuttle orbiter in operation) but it all takes place in a subtly different timeline too our own, making it slightly alt history as well as near future science fiction.

The other titles:

• I finally got round to finishing the final edits of Broken Glass, the final novel in the Minding Tomorrow trilogy.

You can read it here, though it's worth reading Minding Tomorrow and Combat first, or else it will make no sense. All my fiction is released for free under creative commons, so download the ebooks and enjoy!

I've no idea why I always put off completing a project like this, but it had been sitting almost-finished since April. All I had to do was make a book cover and do a few rounds of editing, and it would be ready. In total these last steps only took about 10 hours.

So I've been 10 hours of easy work away from completing a three novel series of stories that I first attempted writing back in 2003. I started writing the current version of Minding Tomorrow in November of 2008, so the three novels could be said to have taken four years to complete. I planned to get Broken Glass finished in the spring of 2012, but I wrote "Get That Rat Off My Face!" instead, which admittedly takes place in the same universe as Minding Tomorrow. In a way, it could be read as a four book series.

What I'm trying to ask is "Why would anyone not want to have finished a trilogy of novels, especially if it only requires a tiny bit more work?" Well, I'm not sure. I know I've been busy with other projects... but not THAT busy!

Personally I think Broken Glass is the best science fiction I've written. Unfortunately you have to read two other novels before it, just to set the groundwork and introduce all the characters, and logically those two novels can't also be the best I've written.

All said and done, it's been a fun journey.

And it's not over. I'm currently writing another novel set in the same universe, but hundreds of years after the events of Broken Glass. So long, in fact, that it works as a stand alone story, though those who've read the Minding Tomorrow trilogy will enjoy it on an extra level.
  • Putting the final touches on Board Game Grand Prix

Need to submit panels to various other conventions soon.
  • edited February 2013
    First step done for porting my lab's nonlinear optimization library to AVR/Arduino.

Gonna kick the shit out of DIYDrone's auto-pilot .
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Gonna kick the shit out of DIYDrone's auto-pilot.
    Well no kidding, if you've got HAL on your side.
  • Charlie on HBO's 'Girls' built himself some really cool furniture to maximize his apartment space.

Turns out the set crew put it all together in four days; most of the designs seem to be really simple dado and notch-lock paneling. The bed/sitting space seems to be built on a dimensional lumber web frame and the steps are just more dado/notch casework. Very simple, very sturdy. Inexpensive and impossibly cool.

So, student of the craft and soon-to-be broke-ass city dweller that I am, I spent most of my morning sketching up concepts to make replicas of this stuff. Showing them to my woodworking sensei tomorrow for critique.
  • It's so record collection-friendly.
  • Working on updating/porting one of my favorite "lost" Windows utilities, ListXP, to build with a modern compiler. Fortunately, the author open sourced it before he shut down the website and while he didn't put it on Sourceforge or anything like that, it was at least still available on the Internet Wayback machine. Unfortunately, it looks like he hasn't modified the code since 2005 or so and it was only written to compile with Visual Studio 2003. A lot has changed in C++ over those years, so getting it to build with a modern compiler isn't completely trivial.
  • I put dinner in the slow cooker before work and will clean the house when I get home.
  • Charlie on HBO's 'Girls' built himself some really cool furniture to maximize his apartment space.

Turns out the set crew put it all together in four days; most of the designs seem to be really simple dado and notch-lock paneling. The bed/sitting space seems to be built on a dimensional lumber web frame and the steps are just more dado/notch casework. Very simple, very sturdy. Inexpensive and impossibly cool.

So, student of the craft and soon-to-be broke-ass city dweller that I am, I spent most of my morning sketching up concepts to make replicas of this stuff. Showing them to my woodworking sensei tomorrow for critique.
    That show is awesome, and I should really start doing the same.
    Also, today I told myself that I would run 14k and I ran 14.13k :D

• Yeah I stepped up from shit talk to actual action. Sent in my full application package for King of the Nerds Season 2. Took a lot longer than I thought it would to write several pages of answers to questions and cut together a 5-10 min video that shows exactly who you are. I have bared my soul to a camera, and cramped my hand from writing. Let us hope I am rewarded with a bounty of $100k.
  • If I were on the show, I would not be playing for the money.

I've done small shows in my apartment at birthday parties and such, but never organized a real show there. I'm finally doing it, after living here six years! Here's Juliane and I testing out the new "stage" in the "living room". I'm looking forward to next Saturday!
  • That's a nice little space. I really like the color of the backdrop. (and the potted plant)
  • Sent out a request for an apprenticeship. My uncle knows the guy who runs the shop and I think I have the skills necessary to succeed with this, but I'm still really nervous.

Also, if this falls through, I'm going to have a LOT of work to do.
  • edited April 2013
    Made a comic. My first one in like three years.

God my DeviantART is embarrassing.
    Post edited by Aiyakiu on
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2013
    @Aiyakiu: That was funny. You've succeeded in getting me to laugh. I have to say well done for a first comic in three years. I particularly liked the expressions.
    Post edited by Geo on
    After a year of feedback, fixes, small edits and waiting on other people, my edit of Star Wars ep I has been "approved" by fanedit.org. This means I'll finally publish it. It also means I'll make a torrent of it for easy sharing. Due to copyright vagueness, I'll only be sharing the link with those who tell me they have a dvd copy of the originl movie.

After a year of feedback, fixes, small edits and waiting on other people, my edit of Star Wars ep I has been "approved" by fanedit.org. This means I'll finally publish it. It also means I'll make a torrent of it for easy sharing. Due to copyright vagueness, I'll only be sharing the link with those who tell me they have a dvd copy of the originl movie.

What if, no lie, I had a VHS copy that is at my parent's house?
  • It's a grey area. I think as long as you own a legal copy of the movie, I'll pass the link on in good faith.
  • I finally got my shit together and made a game for the Ludum Dare competition. It feels soooo good!

My game on LD

Just arrived: 500 copies of my new album on CD. Looking good! Now to organize the Bitterly Autobiographical launch party/show.
  • Do you have any samples online?