This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2011

Comments

• Is double awesome like plus good?
  • Just to add to what you said in the pre-game show: Quincy Market is not an offensively large distance from the BCEC, and has some pretty good, pretty cheap food.
    It's over a mile. That's a lot compared to across the street.
    Not offensively large distance != across the street.
  • Not offensively large distance != across the street.
    Every minute of time/distance is double accounting for the return trip, and all of that time is lost PAX time.
  • Not offensively large distance != across the street.
    Every minute of time/distance is double accounting for the return trip, and all of that time is lost PAX time.
    I know, but there's basically three restaurants near the waterfront. And the only one that's cheap is a fried fish place, which I'm sure would get old after a while.
  • And the only one that's cheap is a fried fish place, which I'm sure would get old after a while.
    The secret is breakfast and dinner away from PAX by people's hotels. The other secret, only for people who have the hotel next to the con, is to eat expensive dinners. =P
  • And the only one that's cheap is a fried fish place, which I'm sure would get old after a while.
    The secret is breakfast and dinner away from PAX by people's hotels. The other secret, only for people who have the hotel next to the con, is to eat expensive dinners. =P
    Not all of us have six-figure salaries. :P
  • edited February 2011
    The schedule has been live for awhile, but nobody has posted it here yet. It seems like other than our own panels, most of the panels fall into one of three categories.

1) Insert internet community/site here doing a podcast/show. e.g: Joystiq Podcast LIVE!: The Reunion
    2) We are a publisher/developer, check out our game! e.g: A Live Demonstration of RAGE
    3) Industry "insider". e.g: Careers in Paper Gaming

The IGDA Dev Center is running 17 panels in total. That's just insane. I'm definitely going to investigate that while wearing a journalist hat.

I'm not saying this in service of myself. I'm saying this as honest advice to maximize entertainment at your convention. The majority of the good panels are run by us and our friends. There are a handful of others as well, but not many.

My previous recommendation of how to spend your PAX still stands, but stands even more strongly. Go to the keynote and Q&A #1. Go to closing ceremonies. Go to concerts if you haven't seen them before. Go to make a strip if you didn't get enough of Mike & Jerry already. See the entire Expo hall once. Pick a handful of panels that you really really want to see and make sure you see them. Go to every public area of the convention at least once, just to look around. Then spend the rest of the time gaming your brains out.

On an additional note: we have one panel on Friday and two on Sunday. That means our schedules are wide open on Saturday. There's nothing in particular on the schedule I'm planning to do. I've had success at PAX West and MAGFest running tabletop RPGs. If four people are willing to commit, I can run Freemarket from 10AM to 2PM on Saturday in tabletop. It's a tabletop RPG, it takes four hours. No prior experience or knowledge required. In fact, the less you know the better. Takers?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I will run Swords and Microdungeons, that's for sure. I also plan to teach people good board games quite a bit.
  • I can run Freemarket from 10AM to 2PM on Saturday in tabletop. It's a tabletop RPG, it takes four hours. No prior experience or knowledge required. In fact, the less you know the better. Takers?
    In, unless Enforcement duties happen during that period.
  • In, unless Enforcement duties happen during that period.
    Well, you have to commit. The game takes 4 players exactly.
  • In, unless Enforcement duties happen during that period.
    Well, you have to commit. The game takes 4 players exactly.
    Yeah, I'm in. I'll just ask them not to schedule me then.
  • I can run Freemarket from 10AM to 2PM on Saturday in tabletop. It's a tabletop RPG, it takes four hours. No prior experience or knowledge required. In fact, the less you know the better. Takers?
    I'm down
  • edited February 2011
    I can't commit, because I don't trust myself to wake up and get to PAX that early.

I am, however, strongly interested in being in a Sword at some point.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • If four people are willing to commit, I can run Freemarket from 10AM to 2PM on Saturday in tabletop. It's a tabletop RPG, it takes four hours. No prior experience or knowledge required. In fact, the less you know the better. Takers?
    I'm in for some Freemarket.
  • Ok, you guys better already be there. We can still play with three, if there is only one fail, but I'm not doing it for two. Also, not going to wait for slowpokes when I can just leave and start PAXing it up.
  • I have made sure it's displayed prominently in my PAX notes.
  • Legal Issues in Gaming

Oh snap, I am so there!
  • Ok, you guys better already be there. We can still play with three, if there is only one fail, but I'm not doing it for two. Also, not going to wait for slowpokes when I can just leave and start PAXing it up.
    Already added to my calendar.
  • 4th! Going to call it now!
    You're fifth.
  • Dang. I wanted to see that panel by Luke and Jared, but it's going on during the Night of the Barrels. No way am I missing out on barrel-aged beers.
  • Dang. I wanted to see that panel by Luke and Jared, but it's going on during the Night of the Barrels. No way am I missing out on barrel-aged beers.
    Um, I'm pretty sure you know some guys who can tell you all about the panel. Like, ya know, the people who are presenting it.
  • Um, I'm pretty sure you know some guys who can tell you all about the panel. Like, ya know, the people who are presenting it.
    I don't know if I've ever talked to Luke about a non-metal topic. This is a novel idea!
    You're fifth.
    Shit
  • I really need to stop reading this thread. I'm getting depressed by all the awesome that's gonna go down at PAX Boston, aka "The PAX that is taking place in the city I still call home".
  • If you're Enforcing, you best submit your photos to PRD, stat.
  • I really need to stop reading this thread. I'm getting depressed by all the awesome that's gonna go down at PAX Boston, aka "The PAX that is taking place in the city I still call home".
    Same for me. I was looking forward to going this year, both for PAX and also as my first trip to the northeast ever. Hopefully next year.
  • Anyone want to give a general pool of good presenters? I am a big panel guy and there are so many would like to hear from someone on people I should catch/avoid
  • I doubt it's of interest to many people w/o children, but some of my fellow Wired GeekDad writers are doing another panel in their continuing series. It's about how to involve gaming in the act of raising kids. I won't be on the panel but will be there.