This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2011

Comments

• I doubt it's of interest to many people w/o children, but some of my fellow Wired GeekDad writers are doing another panel in their continuing series. It's about how to involve gaming in the act of raising kids. I won't be on the panel but will be there.
    Yeah, they're a good bunch.
  • Just spoke with the Bananagrams PR team at Toy Fair about getting them to come to PAX Prime/PAX East. They had no idea what it was of course but sounded very interested. Going to put them in touch with Khoo since it'd be foolish for them to not consider at least sponsoring. Apparently the Bananagrams inventor died withing the past year which really threw the company for a loop. He was the core of their operation, so that is very sad to hear. Apprently invented the game at age 75!! What an accomplishment.
  • Just spoke with the Bananagrams PR team at Toy Fair about getting them to come to PAX Prime/PAX East. They had no idea what it was of course but sounded very interested. Going to put them in touch with Khoo since it'd be foolish for them to not consider at least sponsoring. Apparently the Bananagrams inventor died withing the past year which really threw the company for a loop. He was the core of their operation, so that is very sad to hear. Apprently invented the game at age 75!! What an accomplishment.
    Wow.

And yes, it is amazing that people don't even know things like PAX exist. I worry that there are things as awesome as PAX that I do not realize exist, but are hiding just around the corner. Yet, nothing like that has ever appeared. Does my Internet connectedness mean there are no such surprises for me?

Also, Bananagrams creator, wow. Epic.
  • Well all I can say for now is that there is a lot of space in Table Top. A LOT. Hopefully if they do show up, PAX can accommodate some space.
  • Well all I can say for now is that there is a lot of space in Table Top. A LOT. Hopefully if they do show up, PAX can accommodate some space.
    This PAX is a little short notice, I would suspect they would hit up the next one. Then again, Khoo is the one who forced Bananagrams on us, so I'm sure he would pick up the phone if they called.
    This PAX is a little short notice, I would suspect they would hit up the next one. Then again, Khoo is the one who forced Bananagrams on us, so I'm sure he would pick up the phone if they called.
    Well it is sorta last minute, but it's possible the company can make it. It's not like everything is set in stone, and it's not like PAX can't easily change things up to accommodate for their guests at the last minute. ^____~
    Well it is sorta last minute, but it's possible the company can make it. It's not like everything is set in stone, and it's not like PAX can't easily change things up to accommodate for their guests at the last minute. ^____~
    If only the creator of Bananagrams had lived, he could have done a panel. I would have lined up for that shit.
  • Silly question, I am in need of a traveler's backpack that I intend on using for swag and survivalist needs at PAX. Can anyone recommend me a good one that I can hold a bunch of things in and be comfy enough to walk around in during the convention?
  • If you can avoid it at all, don't bring a bag, you can use the swag bag they give you to carry swag. You've got to bring that with you the entire time you're there and it gets old fast. If you really need a bag (I know I'm going to be one of many with knittings), bring as little as you possibly can.
  • I just found out there is a Pac-Man CE DX Tournament on Saturday Night. I might join a tournament at a con for the first time since the Duck Hunt tournament.
  • EXHIBIT HALL HOURS
    Friday, March 11th, 2011 - 10am to 7pm
    Saturday, March 12th, 2011 - 10am to 6pm
    Sunday, March 13th, 2011 - 10am to 6pm

EVENT HOURS
    Friday, March 11th, 2011 - 10am to 2am
    Saturday, March 12th, 2011 - 10am to 2am
    Sunday, March 13th, 2011 - 10am to 6pm
  • I just found out there is a Pac-Man CE DX Tournament on Saturday Night. I might join a tournament at a con for the first time since the Duck Hunt tournament.
    Shit son, I need to practice.

Use the Xbox controller: they might not let you use an arcade stick ;^)
  • Use the Xbox controller: they might not let you use an arcade stick ;^)
    Shit. You're right.

Also, I am rank < 1000 on every course.
    I'd say it's definitely worth entering a PAX tournament at least once. I did the Small World tournament at Prime and it was a lot of fun. The medals they give you for placing are pretty badass as well. (I placed second, the story of my life. My wife jokingly maintains a record of all of my second place wins and accomplishments.) Don't know if I'll be doing another tournament in the future but it was cool to play in at least one.
    I am so there! I just hope they have both Xboxes and PS3s set up so players can use their preferred controller. I don't see why they shouldn't let you use the arcade stick, unless the machines are locked down and they don't want to mess with them.
  • I am so there! I just hope they have both Xboxes and PS3s set up so players can use their preferred controller. I don't see why they shouldn't let you use the arcade stick, unless the machines are locked down and they don't want to mess with them.
    In a tournament it's only fair if everyone uses the same equipment. I'll ask about the tournament on Friday to get all the necessary info before I go jumping into it.
  • Man, I hope I get another morning Enforcer shift.
  • Man, I hope I get another morning Enforcer shift.
    While enforcing was fun, I felt I missed out on a lot last year due to my evening shifts. It's partly the reason why I chose to be a regular attendee this year.
  • edited February 2011
    Man, I hope I get another morning Enforcer shift.
    Yeah, I'm waiting on them to post the requests thread for it. It should be this week, but they were probably waiting for the people to send in their pictures for the Enforcer badges. Just watch the Twitter feed for it.
    While enforcing was fun, I felt I missed out on a lot last year due to my evening shifts. It's partly the reason why I chose to be a regular attendee this year.
    Next year, I probably won't Enforce in East so I can have more time to hang out.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited February 2011
    Anyone looking for the gaming Schedule: http://east.paxsite.com/Tourney_Schedule.pdf

Unfortunately, the Pac-Man CE DX Tournament might be late for me since I can only go on Saturday and have a two and a half hour drive home. But I wouldn't mind stepping into the Dominion tournament for the fun of it.
    Post edited by Gundampilotspaz on
  • Oh, stupid me. I was going to investigate the reason IGDA has 17 panels on the schedule, it's because they have their own room.
  • Oh, stupid me. I was going to investigate the reason IGDA has 17 panels on the schedule, it's because they have their own room.
    I was wondering myself whether this IGDA space was even part of the BCEC since it doesn't have any sort of room # listed under it. Anyone know? I'm not very interested in the IGDA track, just mild curiosity.
  • edited February 2011
    I did some research (by talking to a buddy of mine) and they informed me that the IGDA is legit as an organization. They have various chapters and from his encounters with the one in Melborne they know what they are talking about. I might see if I can sneak in for a resume review because you can never have enough of those.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • On the topic of Jungle Speed, this shit is insane:

Hmmm... I recall us having our own room at Connecticon the year before we took over panels. ;^)
  • On the topic of Jungle Speed, this shit is insane:
    Putting the totem in another room is a good idea. I don't know about having that many simultaneous players.
  • Putting the totem in another room is a good idea
    That's how we used to play spoons. n-2 were on the table. 2 were across the room.
    That's how we used to play spoons. n-2 were on the table. 2 were across the room.
    Here's a possible idea. There are three totems in total. To win a duel, you have to get two totems. You can get both of the ones on the table, if you are really fast. If each of the duelists get one of the table totems, the third is far away. That makes it more epic, I think.
    Here's a possible idea. There are three totems in total. To win a duel, you have to get two totems. You can get both of the ones on the table, if you are really fast. If each of the duelists get one of the table totems, the third is far away. That makes it more epic, I think.
    Just realized. Special card, I don't know wtf to do.
  • Just realized. Special card, I don't know wtf to do.
    One totem on the table is the "primary" totem. Any time an arrow or hand card is the source of a duel, that is the only totem that matters. However, knocking any OTHER totem over in the course of responding to a special is a foul.