This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

8 bacon cheeseburgers in 8 days

Comments

• Just tasted the burger Jeremy had at The Ram. It's probably one of the better burgers I've had in a very long time.

I had the Kalbi salmon. It was just as tasty.
  • edited August 2013
    So I just tried smashing a burger on a cast iron skillet. I'm not terribly impressed, seems about the same to me. And as an aside, I still filled my kitchen with smoke. How do you sear anything in cast iron without filling the kitchen with smoke?
    Use a tiny bit of butter in the pan right before you fire the burger(s). It'll impart a little flavor to the browned bits, but I kinda like it.

What are people's opinions of potato buns? My local grocery store doesn't have fancy burger buns, so I've been using those. A mediocre potato bun > a mediocre regular bun, in my opinion.

NOTE: When I say tiny, I mean tiny. Just enough to keep the patty from sticking until the meat fats can do their work. We're not making a burger roux here.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Pretzel bun it.
  • I know I'm likely in the minority here but I really like potato buns over pretty much any other bun.
  • I know I'm likely in the minority here but I really like potato buns over pretty much any other bun.
    I rate potato very highly.
    I rate potato very highly.
    Did someone say potato?
  • HOLY SHIT. These burgers.

http://www.theburgerspriest.com/secret-menu/

I love all the name, especially the hypocrite one.
  • edited October 2013
    Technically not a cheeseburger, but Von's chicken adobo hamburg with fresh cut fries is so good. I had a craving and got it and brought it back to work.

Everyone keeps stopping by my cubicle to see what smelled so damn good.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Von's only has one N.
  • Whoops. But man. So good. I keep forgetting of all the awesome restaurants near my work, but I do brown bag it for most part to save the monies.
  • Whoops. But man. So good. I keep forgetting of all the awesome restaurants near my work, but I do brown bag it for most part to save the monies.
    I also save the monies and eat PB&J most days.
  • I run a lunch group at work where everyone cooks lunch for everyone else one day a week. If you are smart on your day, you save lots of moneys and still eat well if not better than the usual lunch fare.
  • And now everyone is going to Von's for lunch.

@Andrew, that's a pretty cool idea.
  • edited January 2014
    Whelp. It was nice knowing you all. I will die happily now.

Post edited by Dromaro on
  • edited January 2014
    Stupid iPad = double post. Apologizes.

Post edited by Dromaro on
  • For those who have not had In'N'Out burger, this review is accurate.

• Dromaro said:

For those who have not had In'N'Out burger, this review is accurate.

So they are trash burgers consumed by bogans?

Also you have to be scared of their meat preparation to the point that you need to order a "vegetarian" burger to avoid food poisoning?
  • edited February 2014
    In'n'out burger is decent for a cheap standard burger but Cali people always blow it way out like it's some godly burger that will tell you the meaning of life. It's the same as Seattle people repping Dicks.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited February 2014
    New Yorker who's had In-N-Out, reporting in.

In-N-Out can go eat a dick. Schnipper's, Shake Shack, or even Five Guys > In-N-Out any god damned day.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • We have Five Guys so I can speak to that comparison. It's not even close. Five Guys are greasier, the fries are strictly worse than In'N'Out, and they don't use fresh ingredients the way In'N'Out does.

The only plus I'll give to Five Guys is bacon.
  • About a month ago I discovered the best hamburger comes from the tiny shop down the road. Dude butters and grills the bun just right, too.
  • Bostonian who's had In N Out, Five Guys, and Shake Shack. No competition, In N Out loses in a landslide to both. Five Guys isn't greasier, it's juicier. There's a difference. In N Out is only good in comparison to those pleb chains like McDonalds and Burger King. Shake Shack is best fast food burger, tho. We've got one (soon two, oh boy) in Boston. The only reason I don't go to it every day is because it's a pain to get to, and the location isn't particularly pleasant. Once the second one opens up in Harvard, I'mma be going there all the time.
  • Reading this just makes me want to go and grab some mince meat and buns to make a burger at home, I pretty much have all the other ingredients.
    I need to go look up burger patty recipes.
  • Five Guys would be better if their buns could hold their own against the burger. I like Five Guys but the burger almost always falls apart. And yes it's greasy as fuck, but it's delicious. I've never had Shake Shack.
  • Five Guys would be better if it were at least as good as a burger I'd make at home...
  • Rym said:

Five Guys would be better if it were at least as good as a burger I'd make at home...

Even the really good burgers I get, like Frites 'N' Meats are not as good as what I can make at home.
  • The homemade burger is superior to all other burgers. This is not even an item of discussion.

At home, I could buy a prime rib, dry-age it for like 60 days, and then turn it into a burger.

Yes, dry-aged prime rib burger - because I can.
  • There is certainly a burger pecking order out there. Five Guys is probably close to the top of fast food burgers, but they aren't the end-all be-all of burgers.

To be honest, I'm not sure if anyone can produce a fast food burger as good as a semi-competent cook could produce at home. The time and other constraints of fast food kind of make it difficult to pull off.

Now the best burgers I've ever had come from the Met Burger Bar. However, it's not a fast-food restaurant but more of a "side car" to a higher-end steakhouse/restaurant.
  • Ate at Ted's Montana Grill for the first time ever over the holiday. I had a bison burger with horseradish cheddar,mushrooms, and braised bison brisket. I think it was the "No. 11" on the menu.

I have never put anything better in my mouth. Holy shit I want all the bison.