This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

8 bacon cheeseburgers in 8 days

Comments

• Boy, I was talking about cheap fast-food style burgers, not ten-dollar sit-down (delicious) monstrosities.
  • Boy, I was talking about cheap fast-food style burgers, not ten-dollar sit-down (delicious) monstrosities.
    That are named after metal bands. You forgot that. That's important.

• edited February 2012
    I tried Bare Burger in Manhattan the other day, and it's delicious. The bison was succulent and perfectly cooked. The burgers are really tiny, though.

My normal lunch place is either New York Burger Co or Shake Shack. The latter is the best "regular" burger in the area, and the former has delicious meat and buns, and some interesting toppings and sauces. NYBC has convinced me that onion rings and bacon can live together in a burger with harmony and deliciousness.

EDIT: By "regular burger," I mean your standard "lettuce and tomatoes" affair. The potato bun is a nice touch, though. More bread needs to be potato-based.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited February 2012
    Am I weird for disliking tomato on my burgers? I can like tomatoes in every single form, except for just a raw slice. The texture just ruins for me or it overpowers the other flavors.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • White Castle is, of course, the best. I never find myself craving Fatburger or Five Guys. I crave White Castle like an addict craves crack.
    My first experience with White Castle was two years ago in the form of a Crave Case. I have not had White Castle since.
  • Guys. Guys. GUYS! Check it.

If I wasn't trying to lose weight, I'd love to put this in mah mouf.

Also, don't forget to drop the bass this 4th!

• edited July 2012
    There is a great local burger place near my apartment called Blue Moon Burger. Their burgers are pretty fucking delicious, easily one of the best burgers I've had. There are a couple other places in Seattle that have amazing burgers too, one (can't remember what it's called) being probably the best burger I've ever had which was some sort of Summer special turkey burger at this brewery downtown. HOLY SHIT was it good. Although I think the first time being so good was a fluke because I had it a second time which was still great, but not amazing.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • So the Five Napkin Burger in ATL closed down after just 12 months. Overpriced in a market with far superior burgers at lower prices.
  • I didn't post this here back in August:

• As the only forum person that could drive there for a sandwich, I'm pretty tempted by the first one. I'm not sure what tempura fried burger will do, but other than that it sounds fine.
  • this is the wrong thread to read when craving burgers QQ
  • The Suribachi Burger was actually really good.
  • There's a restaurant about a block from where I live that does big, reasonably good hamburgers. The high point is, on Mondays their burgers are $5, which makes them about the same price as any of the delis around, with a much better burger. It's pretty great.
  • edited August 2013
    Shake shack is opening a location in ATL. I wonder if it will fail just like Five Napkin...
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Shackshack is opening a location in ATL. I wonder if it will fail just like Five Napkin...
    You mean Shake Shack? They are definitely expanding too rapidly. I see them simply displacing Five Guys.
  • Bro of mine works there. Shits good, but way too pricey. Also, they do the Global Cash Card bullshit that is shady as fuck.
  • A Moo-Yah recently opened near where Jeremy and I reside. It seems like a Five Guys, but with no peanuts. I didn't have a burger, but Jeremy did. They did have sweet potato fries which I may try later one, but from what Jeremy says their burgers are decent.

I just like the name.
  • ATL is just over the burger craze. We've been saturated with over-priced, sub-quality boutiques that just aren't as good as the local options.
  • I've tried to significantly reduce my red meat consumption for the last year or so. Initially, burgers and other "cheap" red meat seemed like the obvious way to go. I tried restricting my red meat primarily to small, expensive steaks.

It turns out that I really, really like hamburgers, moreso than I'd suspect up to that point...

A well constructed hamburger is probably in my top ten of food items despite its apparent simplicity.
  • Seriously, when I crave a burger I find that 99% of the time I'll be more satisfied with a homemade burger with some nice grass-fed beef than the restaurant options.
  • Yeah... burgers at home top a LOT of options on price, quality, and taste.
  • Yes, home burgers are vastly superior to 90% of restaurant burgers.

That being said, I also have decreased the red meat consumption drastically. Except while in Australia because it was very difficult.

I really wish that there were more non-red meat options available at typical lunch places. Sure, I'm in NYC I can get whatever meat I want to cook at home or at a sit-down restaurant. But for lunch the only options are chicken, turkey, ham, red meat, or no meat. Let's get some more animals up ins. Maybe some duck for lunch that isn't chinese food?
  • This is why I work close to home.
  • Yes, home burgers are vastly superior to 90% of restaurant burgers.

That being said, I also have decreased the red meat consumption drastically. Except while in Australia because it was very difficult.

I really wish that there were more non-red meat options available at typical lunch places. Sure, I'm in NYC I can get whatever meat I want to cook at home or at a sit-down restaurant. But for lunch the only options are chicken, turkey, ham, red meat, or no meat. Let's get some more animals up ins. Maybe some duck for lunch that isn't chinese food?
    Get a duck breast and make your own duck prosciutto. Take it for lunch. Or maybe a duck salami. Shelf-stable meats are a great way to make an easy lunch.

As for hamburgers - they are truly a wondrous use of meat. Truly versatile.

And the style of sandwich works well for a lot of other protein bases. Black bean burgers are fucking awesome.
  • Teach me the ways.
  • edited August 2013
    Have you read this article on burger smashing? I think it might be of interest to you. Basically, smashing the patty within 30 seconds allows more surface area for Maillard reactions while maintaining juiciness.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Have you read this article on burger smashing? I think it might be of interest to you. Basically, smashing the patty within 30 seconds allows more surface area for Maillard reactions while maintaining juiciness.
    I am going to experiment along these lines.
  • Have you read this article on burger smashing? I think it might be of interest to you. Basically, smashing the patty within 30 seconds allows more surface area for Maillard reactions while maintaining juiciness.
    I find his conclusions for why a smashed burger is better than a regular pre-formed flat burger to be unsupported. He makes a good case for using a properly heated skillet, but not much more.
  • If his conclusion is press down very early or not at all, I think his research justifies that.
  • using a properly heated skillet
    Fire or go home.