This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Questions about America

edited January 2011 in Everything Else
So~I've heard these 'myths' about America, and since the majority of users on this forum seem to be American, I figured I'd make a Q&A thread with the non-Americans asking the Americans.
And if I just Google for the answer - Well yeah, America is huge, there's always going to be that one exception, even if no one is ever going to run into it.
____

Is it true that there are established businesses that don't take credit cards? (Or I guess alternatively bank transfers for lager sums of money, if it's like a car retailer or something)

Comments

• Is it true that there are established businesses that don't take credit cards?
    Yes, usually small restaurants in out of the way places keep their expenses down by not supporting credit cards. While this is annoying. Some of the best little mom and pop places around me do not accept credit cards. So while I do go there, I don't eat there as much as I would. This is one of the ways they keep their expenses down.
  • Yes there are, but in my experience they tend to be small businesses like a family owned restaurant or market.
  • That's true for smaller "mom and pop" places, some small restaurants, small antique stores, etc.
  • I haven't run into any places in Orlando that don't accept cards, but all of Little Vietnam has a $10 minimum for card purchases.
  • all of Little Vietnam has a $10 minimum for card purchases.
    No they don't. At least for VISA and Mastercard, they're not allowed to stipulate minimums. They are violating their merchant agreements.
  • edited January 2011
    Laws being what they may, they will not accept cards for purchases of less than $10.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Laws being what they may, they will not accept cards for purchases of less than $10.
    There's no law, there is a contractual agreement with Visa/Mastercard/American Express. Every credit card has a phone number on it. Call that number and tell them that Little Vietnam is requiring a minimum purchase. They will then penalize that restaurant with a hefty fee, or they will revoke their ability to accept their credit card. They will soon remove their minimum.
  • It's not a restaurant, it's an area of downtown Orlando, like Chinatown, but Vietnamese, and all of the stores/eateries I've been to in that area require minimum purchases for cards.
  • It's not a restaurant, it's an area of downtown Orlando, like Chinatown, but Vietnamese, and all of the stores/eateries I've been to in that area require minimum purchases for cards.
    Call them in individually.
  • Call them in individually.
    Why? I've got no beef with them. It's never inconvenienced me. Looking back, it's only the stores that do this, none of the restaurants do.
  • Why? I've got no beef with them. It's never inconvenienced me. Looking back, it's only the stores that do this, none of the restaurants do.
    If you want to shop there and buy something for less than $10 with a credit card, then they're inconveniencing you in a way they promised not to. I would have no problem calling them in.
  • I said it hasn't inconvenienced me. I bring cash with me if I'm just going to pick up something that cheap. I'm not saying it couldn't be a bother, just that a modicum of foresight fixes any problems that may arise.
  • edited January 2011
    I've only encountered a few businesses that will only accept cash, but they usually have an ATM on premises in case you need cash. The only places I can think of going to in recent memory that were "cash only" are independent movie theaters.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
    No they don't. At least for VISA and Mastercard, they're not allowed to stipulate minimums. They are violating their merchant agreements.
    Hmm, I did not know this. I know a bunch of bars that have a minimum for cards in this state, usually dive bars.
  • Huh, this is how it is in Chinatown, and in many of the little restaurants are. In Japan, most everything is cash.
    How is it in Norway? Is it the same?
  • edited January 2011
    How is it in Norway? Is it the same?
    I have seen some places that don't take cards, but that was years ago. I live in the capital, so can't speak for the entire country, but every shop I've been to recently, including very small cafe's in the outskirts of town take cards. Actually, the smaller ones sometimes only take cards. Vending machines though usually don't. But they often let you pay with your cellphone.
    Post edited by Aria on
    You are not correct. Minimum purchase amounts were a provision of the Durbin clause of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010. Small businesses and restaurants may now decline to process credit cards for bills under $10.
  • I said it hasn't inconvenienced me. I bring cash with me if I'm just going to pick up something that cheap. I'm not saying it couldn't be a bother, just that a modicum of foresight fixes any problems that may arise.
    Are we going to turn this into an argument over what constitutes an inconvenience versus a bother?

Everything said in this thread so far is true about mom & pop shops potentially not accepting a card, and if so, with an approx. $10 contract-violating minimum. One thing I'll throw in is about amex.

I'm not sure if people in other countries use American Express credit cards, but they are generally the best cards you can get in America. The reason is that they charge the retailers a much higher fee than Visa or Mastercard, and in return rarely charge the cardholder anything, give them great rewards and always take the customer's side if there is a dispute. Since they are so customer-oriented, it's more common for a mom & pop to just take visa & mastercard but not amex. I do live in suburbia about 1 hour from New York City, but in my experience almost every retailer takes credit cards whether they are a chain store or a mom & pop. If they don't take cards, it's probably a very small, most likely off-the-grid business like a farmer's market stand or something.
  • You are not correct. Minimum purchase amounts were a provision of the Durbin clause of theDodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010.Small businesses and restaurants may now decline to process credit cards for bills under $10.
    Ahhh, I was unaware of the new law. This is a fairly recent development.

Upon further reading, it appears that debit cards are NOT covered, and that minimums are still against at least VISA's contract.
  • it appears that debit cards are NOT covered,
    I've found that places that have a minimum and don't take certain cards usually don't let you use debit anyhow.
  • If people refuse my card, I pay in 1p and 2p coins :P
  • I rarely try to use debit as it is, but I always thought debit transactions were less expensive fee-wise for the business, so it would stand to reason they'd be more open to them?
  • If your card offers any cash back/point rewards then debit is silly. Buy everything you need with your card whenever possible and just pay it off immediately. Debit is really only useful if you don't have a credit card.
  • This is why I carry a reserve of cash.
  • I trade exclusively in vodka and beef jerky, in case of rapid inflation.
  • The vodka market's the strongest near universities, you might want to stock some whiskey for other areas.
  • I trade solely in doubloons.
  • Debit is really only useful if you don't have a credit card.
    Or if you like to shop at Costco.
  • Even without rewards. Even without any of the other conveniences, you should still use a credit card for everything you possibly can. There is one advantage of using a credit card that alone makes it worth it. The other advantages are just icing on the cake. That advantage is increased liquidity.

If I told you I would give you a 30 day interest free loan of a few thousand dollars, and I gave you that loan every single month, why would you even think of saying no? Let's say you spend $1000 in a month. If you spend it with your debit card, you are out $1000 immediately. If you use a credit card, you spend the same $1000 30 days later. In those 30 days, you can at the very least earn interest on that $1000. if you always pay your credit card bill in full every single month, it's free money.

The only people who get hurt by credit cards are merchants who accept them and people who do not pay the bill in full every month. Just don't buy anything you can not afford, and you're all good. And even though merchants end up paying a huge sum in fees to accept cards, they also use credit cards to make business purchases.

That alone makes it worth it, but there are other benefits as well. Even more benefits with AMEX. Did you know that if you buy something with AMEX that has a limited warranty that AMEX automatically extends that warranty for you? Did you know that if you buy something with AMEX and it is lost or stolen within X days they will replace it for you? There are tons of ludicrous benefits that people don't even realize. You get none of those with debit cards or cash.

The only real benefit of cash is that it is accepted everywhere, and is anonymous. Unless you want to make an anonymous purchase, use credit every time.
  • In those 30 days, you can at the very least earn interest on that $1000.
    The asterisk here is that savings account rates are currently around 1.00% APY most places. This means the most you can make on $1000 in 30 days is less than a dollar.