This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Questions about America

Comments

• The asterisk here is that savings account rates are currently around 1.00% APY most places. This means the most you can make on $1000 in 30 days is less than a dollar.
    It's more than 0. Also, that's the bare minimum you can do. There are ways you can do a hell of a lot better.
  • There are ways you can do a hell of a lot better.
    Like what in a 30 day time span?
  • edited January 2011
    There's no law, there is a contractual agreement with Visa/Mastercard/American Express. Every credit card has a phone number on it. Call that number and tell them that Little Vietnam is requiring a minimum purchase. They will then penalize that restaurant with a hefty fee, or they will revoke their ability to accept their credit card. They will soon remove their minimum.
    Actually, Visa, Amex, Mastercard and Discover all allow minimum purchases now, up to ten bucks. Debit card minimums are still a violation, however.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Actually,Visa, Amex, Mastercard and Discover all allow minimum purchases now, up to ten bucks.Debit card minimums are still a violation, however.
    Yeah, we just found out it is a recent change.
  • Yeah, we just found out it is a recent change.
    I know, but that's the plain English version, short version, in case you(or whoever else) didn't fancy to plow through a long, dry wiki article.
  • Most (>90%) of the delis I've been to in NYC have minimum card amounts, usually $10. Some of the more fancy hole-in-the-wall places are cash only, but that's because their clientele carry hundreds of dollars on them. Also, those places have tabs, which the regulars use. Bars usually have a card limit of $10-15, but they have tabs as well (of course).
  • It really breaks my heart to hear about how New York has corner stores that sell actual food. (because of jealousy)
  • Bodega Bodega! Ch-yeah!
  • I like Chicago's bodegas. We just call them Food and Liquors.
  • It really breaks my heart to hear about how New York has corner stores that sell actual food. (because of jealousy)
    There's one in the next town over (I live in the wilds of suburban Massachusetts, where there are like, bears and shit).
  • Bodega Bodega! Ch-yeah!
    If you're not eatin' Utz, you're eatin' buttz

• If you're not eatin' Utz, you're eatin' buttz
    Utz are the ass chip. Wise ftw.

• If you're not eatin' Utz, you're eatin' buttz
    Utz are the ass chip. Wise ftw.
    Both of those are pretty lame compared to Cape Cod Kettle Cooked chips.
  • Both of those are pretty lame compared to Cape Cod Kettle Cooked chips.
    Ah, Cape Cod Kettle Cooked Chips. The only thing that inflicts more mouth lacerations than Cap'n Crunch.
  • edited January 2011
    You must have a wimpy-ass mouth, Neito. As far as I've chewed Cape Cod chips are the only chips crunchy and jagged enough to have a decent texture.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Miss Vickie's kettle chips are the superior brand of kettle cooked potato chips.
  • Miss Vickie's kettle chips are the superior brand of kettle cooked potato chips.
    I've never even seen them before, but I'll keep an eye out.
  • Cape Cod are great, but ohhhhhhman, Miss Vickie's and Kettle Brand. Those are real chips.
  • The best potato chips I've ever had were at a seafood restaurant. I ordered a plate of fish & chips and proceeded to get indignant at the fact that my fish were laying on a bed of potato chips. Then I ate one and realized that they were delicious and still warm from the fryer. It was very conflicting.
    I've never even seen them before, but I'll keep an eye out.
    I don't like potato chips but I love these, they're really the only ones I like. Jalapeno is probably the best flavor but they're all fantastic and highly unique.

• Kettle brand Salt and Vinegar are the best fucking potato chips in the history of potato chips.

Except for my home-made red potato chips, of course.
  • Kettle brand Salt and Vinegar are the best fucking potato chips in the history of potato chips.
    So true.

Anyone else put malt vinegar on fries, by the way? That's how I got hooked on Salt and Vinegar chips.
  • Salt and vinegar chips hurt my mouf
  • Kettle brand Salt and Black Pepper are the best fucking potato chips in the history of potato chips.
  • "Dirty" Potato Chips are the best potato chips I've had. Salt and vinegar, and Chipotle are my personal favs.
  • You americans are lacking on the crisps front.

So few flavours. No prawn cocktail, smokey bacon, worcester sauce, pickled onion, hedgehog, roast chicken, cheese and onion.. what's with that?

Also, chocolate is crap.

But you make up for it on the sandwich and ice cream front. UK ice cream is shite.
  • hedgehog
    !!??

What on Earth does it taste like?
  • Posted By: littleidiot
    But you make up for it on the sandwich and ice cream front. UK ice cream is shite.
    That's interesting, I'd never heard that before. Is there some reason for it? Surely it can't be because you don't like icecream over there.
  • You americans are lacking on the crisps front.

So few flavours. No prawn cocktail, smokey bacon, worcester sauce, pickled onion, hedgehog, roast chicken, cheese and onion.. what's with that?
    I've had cheeseburger nachos.
  • edited January 2011
    hedgehog
    !!??

What on Earth does it taste like?
    Hedgehogs, obviously. ;P
    Post edited by Kate Monster on