This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Questions about America

Comments

• edited January 2011
    I'm from Virginia, so Route 11 are my Kettle Chips of Choice. Dill Pickle. ^^
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • smokey bacon
    Oh mans.

Also, how do people eat their french fries (chips)? I was raised to think that vinegar was the only way.
  • Kettle brand Salt and Vinegar are the best fucking potato chips in the history of potato chips.
  • edited January 2011
    Also, how do people eat their french fries (chips)? I was raised to think that vinegar was the only way.
    Malt vinegar sometimes, ketchup others. Depends on the type of french fry. Steak fries? Malt vinegar if its there. McDonalds? Always Heinz Ketchup.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Malt vinegar sometimes, ketchup others
    Idea: ketchup made with malt vinegar. Thoughts?
  • No ketchup can touch Heinz; molecular gastronomy chefs have studied it. BUT! I'll do it for science.
  • Heinz really is excellent stuff. It's like Hellman's Mayonnaise; there is simply no equal.

So, a further idea: make malt vinegar from scratch (either from wort or beer) with the specific aim of using the vinegar to make homemade ketchup.

I take my condiments seriously.
  • Idea: ketchup made with malt liquor. Thoughts?
  • Idea: ketchup made with maltliquor. Thoughts?
    Can't think. Drunk on malt ketchup.
    Kettle brand Salt and Vinegar are the best fucking potato chips in the history of potato chips.
    You sir, speak the truth!
    Salt and vinegar chips hurt my mouf
    By the end of the bag my mouth winds up hurting, too. It's like too much salt and vinegar causes some crazy irritation of lip skin, but they're too damn delicious to resist. Luckily I don't really eat potato chips so the days I eat these are very rare. Usually if I'm in a sandwich shop away from home and there is no chip alternative to complete a combo meal.
  • Any love for Hint of Lime? SO GOOD.
  • Hint of Lime: Didn't blow my mind but I will fully admit I liked them. They were a lot better than I thought they would be. I think this came about through an accidental bag purchase during college, which led to a few more bags down the road.
    Spicy, if you're a little BITCH.

I love a fresh sack.
  • I love a fresh sack.
    XD

I've recently been digging on the Lay's Garden Tomato & Basil.
  • I love a fresh sack.
    XD
    Ro, are you privy to the majesty that is Epic Mealtime?
  • Ro, are you privy to the majesty that is Epic Mealtime?
    Nope never heard of it. I see from Google that it's Youtube video stuff. Meh.
  • edited January 2011
    Nope never heard of it. I see from Google that it's Youtube video stuff. Meh.
    WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT COOKING?!!?!
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Nope never heard of it. I see from Google that it's Youtube video stuff. Meh.
    WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT COOKING?!!?!

We're cooking with a little Jack Daniels.

Just kidding. We're cooking with A LOT of Jack Daniels.
  • hedgehog
    !!??

What on Earth does it taste like?
    It's actually smokey bacon from what i can tell
    Malt vinegar sometimes, ketchup others. Depends on the type of french fry. Steak fries? Malt vinegar if its there. McDonalds? Always Heinz Ketchup.
    We only have one kind of chip. The chip. We like to add salt and vinegar as a staple. If you go to a fish and chip shop in the UK you will be asked if you want salt and vinegar. Other condiments are available on a local basis. Ketchup or brown sauce (HP sauce) are available too. I like HP sauce on my chips.

But, if you are in Carlisle the local delicacy is Sweet and Sour chips. I can't tell you how great chips with sweet and sour sauce on them is.

But you make up for it on the sandwich and ice cream front. UK ice cream is shite.
    That's interesting, I'd never heard that before. Is there some reason for it? Surely it can't be because you don't like icecream over there.
    We like ice cream. For some reason we make it on the cheap. The first time I tasted Ben and Jerry's was a revelation.
  • Oh yeah, there's a Gyros joint here that has a ketchup dispenser loaded with tzatziki. So I eat their fries with tzatziki. Soooooo good.
  • ketchup dispenser loaded with tzatziki
    I will one day own this.
  • How many vacation days do you get in America?

In New Zealand the law is 20, but most govt departments have 25.

Just wondering how that compares?

We also have 10 stat holidays. I think that is low? Some countries have a lot more?
  • Pretty sure the U.S. doesn't have any number of mandatory vacation days and I think there's ~10 national holidays.
  • edited January 2011
    Pretty sure the U.S. doesn't have any number of mandatory vacation days and I think there's ~10 national holidays.
    What, so each job has it's own amount?

So you might evaluate a job on how many days it offered you?
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • What, so each job has it's own amount?

So you might evaluate a job on how many days it offered you?
    Quite right.
  • edited January 2011
    How many vacation days do you get in America?
    As Ruffas said, there are no mandates for number of holidays. The only exception I can think of to that rule are government jobs, which would be required on national holidays. Here, the amount of vacation time is seen as a benefit, something to barter over and compare to other jobs.

I would say that generally speaking, the standards I've seen are that national holidays are company-wide PTO, and people are given 10-14 days of PTO per year.

EDIT: Though I should also say that, on the other hand, schools do have mandatory days off on national holidays, no matter what. At least K-12 do, universities have a little more flexibility.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • edited January 2011
    Here, the amount of vacation time is seen as a benefit, something to barter over and compare to other jobs.
    Yep. My current job just upped PTO from 5 days to 10, and we also get "major holidays" off. Here's the schedule for this year:

- MLK day;
    - Labor (First Monday of September);
    - Memorial Day (Last Monday in May);
    - Thanksgiving - (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday surrounding Thanksgiving);
    - Christmas Day (This year Dec. 26th, since the 25th is on Sunday);
    - Independence Day (July 4th);

EDIT: I just realized that there are semicolons after all of my boss's statements. It's good to have a boss that programs all day. Non-techie managers are hard to deal with sometimes.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Wow, so 10 - 15 days off a year is considered good?

It's just that i heard Scott mentioned vacation days on the latest show and whether or not he would use an extra one for Magfest next year. Got me wondering how much you value them. At 25 a year, I can be a bit relaxed with burning a few here and there. They build up so fast. :/
  • edited January 2011
    Wow, so 10 - 15 days off a year is considered good?
    Getting paid for taking vacation? Bolshevism! Sheer Bolshevism!
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • My wife works as a production manager doing cooking television shows and paid time off is pretty much unheard of in that industry. Even on national holidays, if the company shuts down nobody gets paid because you didn't work! No such thing as personal days or even sick days. It would be a total shit deal if that industry didn't pay tons of $. For instance, traveling camera operators can expect to make $900 per day plus location stipend for meals, and a few hundred extra per week if they own their own equipment. No degree required.
  • My wife works as a production manager doing cooking television shows
    Which shows?