This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Why can't we all be Scott Rubin?
    I am Scott, and you can too!
    It worked for me, and it can work for you! Order now!
    When I ordered Scott Rubin my penis shrunk. :(
    I ordered Scott Rubin and my girlfriend left me and now a lot of people won't talk to me. Good riddance, that means less drama.
    It's okay, just rub some of our patented Scott Rubin Ointment on your wang. You'll never worry about the sexual functions of your urinary organs again!
    It's okay, just rub some of our patented Scott Rubin Ointment on your wang. You'll never worry about the sexual functions of your urinary organs again!
    BEEP BOOP, WOMEN HAVE COOTIES. BOOP BEEP.
  • edited June 2012
    Why can't we all be Scott Rubin?
    BEEP BOOP, WOMEN HAVE COOTIES. BOOP BEEP.
    THAT'S THE POWER OF SCRUBIN-CREAM!!

If you call right now, we'll throw in our Drama-Off Unguent and Girl-Away Tincture for absolutely no extra cost. The first does what it says on the tin, and the second takes irritating girls that have a crush on you and converts them into delightful Cadbury Cream Eggs!

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR CALL NOW
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I like the Yoko Kanno wakeup. I like that it tells you the weather. I am sad that it is not working anymore.
  • I like the Yoko Kanno wakeup. I like that it tells you the weather. I am sad that it is not working anymore.
    Yep. It works again this morning. I'm banking on yesterday just being a fluke.

If anything, I enjoy getting woken up by an alarm now.
  • Do Japanese people talk normally with downward inflections?
    Yep. It works again this morning. I'm banking on yesterday just being a fluke.

If anything, I enjoy getting woken up by an alarm now.
    The only issue is that requires internet access for it to work even though it has all the sound files stored locally. My tablet loses wifi occasionally and I guess the app polls for the weather right when the alarm goes off. Still, it should at least tell the time.

• What are some good pulp comics/movies a la Doc Savage/Indiana Jones?
    There are only like, infinity of them. How about you start with this bad boy.

The Rocketeer: The Complete Deluxe Edition
    There are only like, infinity of them. How about you start with this bad boy.

The Rocketeer: The Complete Deluxe Edition
    That is a solid one to go with I will also include John Carter (yes the one that just came out) and the Shadow with Alec Baldwin.
  • For the Shadow, you really can't beat the Orson Welles radio episodes, but the movie fits the question better.
  • There are only like, infinity of them.
    That's why I'm asking for suggestions; to separate the wheat from the chaff.
    For the Shadow, you really can't beat the Orson Welles radio episodes, but the movie fits the question better.
    I'm open to radio dramas assuming I can get a hold of them.
  • edited July 2012
    TPB has them sometimes. The search term you generally want is "Old Time Radio" then add whatever further qualifiers. You can buy them for exorbitant prices on radiospirits.com
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Another great resource is not something that is old, but totally captures the spirit of the old pulp radio dramas in the era of The Shadow and other similar characters. This is Decoder Ring Theater and I think these guys are really quite good and one of the few podcasts I listen to on a regular basis.

• I've listened to a few episodes of The Shadow and while I like the cut of its jib, it doesn't quite hit the spot. I'm looking for something that's more like Indiana Jones and Doc Savage; exotic locales, fearsome natives, lost treasure, etc. I think I'll watch that youtube that goes through all the homages in the first 10 minutes of Raiders of the Lost Ark and go from there.
  • edited July 2012
    You can read Athena Voltaire if you want. It's not exactly, but basically, female supernatural Indiana Jones. Available in web comic or dead tree.

http://athenavoltaire.blogspot.com/
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I've listened to a few episodes of The Shadow and while I like the cut of its jib, it doesn't quite hit the spot. I'm looking for something that's more like Indiana Jones and Doc Savage; exotic locales, fearsome natives, lost treasure, etc. I think I'll watch that youtube that goes through all the homages in the first 10 minutes of Raiders of the Lost Ark and go from there.
    I shall point you to the pulp expert.

Derek the Bard is the biggest Pulp Fiction fan that I have ever talked to. He knows the good from the crap.
  • My birthday's in a few days and I want to ask for something that will be awesome for college, but I don't know what. I'm already set on a refridgerator, TV, and laptop. Any suggestions?
  • My birthday's in a few days and I want to ask for something that will be awesome for college, but I don't know what. I'm already set on a refridgerator, TV, and laptop. Any suggestions?
    Dishwasher, but that's not actually likely to be possible.

What did we really want or need in college, but couldn't afford... I think the best would be to have lots of video games that are local multiplayer that support as many people as possible.
  • Needed but couldn't afford in college?

Air Conditioner.
    Dish Washer (wasn't allowed even if we could afford it).
  • edited July 2012
    My birthday's in a few days and I want to ask for something that will be awesome for college, but I don't know what. I'm already set on a refridgerator, TV, and laptop. Any suggestions?
    If your parents are cool, ask for a flask and bottle of booze that you couldn't otherwise afford. Also, an AC unit, but a lot of dorms don't allow them.

Otherwise, you're more or less set for the big ticket stuff. A Kindle or a new smartphone (Galaxy S III?) might be a good idea, depending.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Is not having central a/c that common in the north?
    We have summers with 100F+ heat indices. Our school dorms still don't have central AC.

• My middle school didn't have AC for the second floor. Some of the RIT dorms had barely functional AC, but most had no AC.
  • That is so strange to me. I don't think I've ever been to a place that didn't have central a/c (I was in Asia in winter, so I didn't notice it there).
    It's relatively rare for any building or house built before about 10 or 20 years ago to have AC up here. While it does get hot and humid (90+ with 70 to 75 degree dew points), it's a fairly short amount of time that it's like that (Basically just late june through very early september, so about eight or nine weeks), so many people just make do with fans and good, old fashioned complaining.
    Storage containers, luggage, microwave, digital camera all sound like good ideas. I think you can also never go wrong with technology, like a good phone or a decent tablet.

• Can we start a bad romance?