This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• MATATAT said:

But is it playing through the entire game, or just a segment, or does it matter?

It doesn't matter. It's not some strict scientific term.
  • edited March 2015
    MATATAT said:

Does "Let's Play" refer to someone doing an entire playthrough, or just a snippet? I sorta just realized that I don't really know what it's supposed to refer to. I'm also not sure where the term came from. I know some video's just used to be called Let's Play and I thought there was a specific group that was using that as their title but then everyone else just started using it.

Let's plays are one of those internet things that have evolved on their own, so I don't think there are any exact written rules. But I'd define Let's play as a commentated play-through of a game. I don't think a let's play has to show everything a game has, but I think they are generally more long form than something like Giant bomb's quick looks, which are just hour or so random gameplay to show off a game.

Also, let's play doesn't need to be video + audio. It can be screenshots and text, or even video + text.

Also, video of a play through without commentary is usually called long play.

Addition: Fast googling about the subject also claimed that the term itself comes from the Something Awful forums, which makes sense as I know that Let's plays rouse to the popularity from there.

Post edited by Apsup on
  • I don't think it matters.
  • MATATAT said:

But is it playing through the entire game, or just a segment, or does it matter?

I don't think it matters as much. Yeah the goal is to play all the way through but people like to do LPs of incomplete games, so sometimes it's just to say "Hey look at this game!"
  • Is anyone near Springfield VA?
  • What open source project should I contribute to?
  • I wonder that from time to time, but then I usually just work on my own stuff. If I was going to contribute to an open source project I would choose some game engine personally because I think they're interesting and I'd like to learn more about them.
  • The kinds call someone playing the ENTIRE game with minimal commentary "longplay."
  • Rym said:

The kinds call someone playing the ENTIRE game with minimal commentary "longplay."

?
  • I'm in the market for a new mouse. I'm looking for something good enough for FPS's but not necessarily good enough for pro Counter Strike or whatever. Independently, I'm looking for a wireless mouse for when I connect my laptop to my TV. Should I get a wired mouse for gaming and a cheap wireless mouse or are higher-end wireless mice good enough and not crazy expensive? I'm currently using a Diamondback that's probably about 10 years old and starting to poop out.

Independently, recommended wireless keyboards?
  • Ikatono said:

I'm in the market for a new mouse. I'm looking for something good enough for FPS's but not necessarily good enough for pro Counter Strike or whatever. Independently, I'm looking for a wireless mouse for when I connect my laptop to my TV. Should I get a wired mouse for gaming and a cheap wireless mouse or are higher-end wireless mice good enough and not crazy expensive? I'm currently using a Diamondback that's probably about 10 years old and starting to poop out.

Independently, recommended wireless keyboards?

Wireless, reliable gaming mice are going to be the most expensive mouse from each company (e.g. Razer Mamba, Steelseries Sensei Wireless, Logitech G700s). They're all well over $100.

If you need the wireless keyboard and mouse for the laptop and TV setup just get the Logitech K400. All the wireless keyboards will not be mechanical.

I would recommend a wired gaming mouse separate to your wireless setup unless you're willing to spend a lot of money on a mouse.

Best wired gaming mice Razer Deathadder, any variant, for me it's simply because I grew up playing ID games using a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer and my hand is use to the shape.
    Otherwise the Corsair Vengeance M65 is quite nice. I haven't had good experiences with Steelseries and Logitech mice but there will be others on the forum who have better experience with these companies and can give you pointers on them. I haven't had the chance to try out the Madcatz R.A.T or Razer Ouroboros (modular mice) for any prolonged time in an FPS so can't comment as to their build quality or comfort.

• Anyone know any good places to eat around York, Pennsylvania?
  • Skeletor vs Mumm-Ra who would win in a bodybuilding contest?
  • edited March 2015

Skeletor vs Mumm-Ra who would win in a bodybuilding contest?

They would both be disqualified for being corpses and not live bodies. Otherwise Mumm-Ra wins hands down. Have you see his before and after pics?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • That, and Mumm-Ra has more counts of necromancy than Skeletor.
  • ThatGent said:

That, and Mumm-Ra has more counts of necromancy than Skeletor.

They would also both be disqualified for using performance enhancing magic.
  • Apreche said:

ThatGent said:

That, and Mumm-Ra has more counts of necromancy than Skeletor.

They would also both be disqualified for using performance enhancing magic.
    If they're smart, they'd get a psionicist to do the actual doping for them. That way it's not detectable.
  • imageA psionicist you say?
  • Could some of you japanese speakers tell me what "you are already fired" (from the job) should be in the style of Kenshiro's "omae wa mo shindeiru"?
  • chaosof99 said:

Could some of you japanese speakers tell me what "you are already fired" (from the job) should be in the style of Kenshiro's "omae wa mo shindeiru"?

I bet it's "omae wa mo something-ru"
  • edited March 2015
    According to this it should be "kubininaru", but perhaps there is a different connotation or a different word that is more appropriate.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • That is an acceptable word for fired. It's fairly casual and implies somebody done fucked up
  • chaosof99 said:

Is Haribo a popular candy brand in the U.S. or even sold throughout the U.S.?

I ask because I'm watching the Flyers - Kings game in the Kings have an ad for Haribo on the boards. However, I have never seen any commercials or any other advertising on american TV for it. Perhaps I'm watching during the wrong time of day, but Haribo is very popular and they even buy commercials during prime time TV in germany and austria.

I discovered my local H-Mart has a decent amount of Haribo gummies. I discovered there is such a thing as Mini Rainbow Frogs. YES!
  • The groceries near me also have a nice selection of Haribo that isn't just regular old bears.
  • Anyone here ever been mugged? Someone started a thread about this on GB and it is kinda interesting to me.

I sorta have once but they didn't actually take any of my stuff. It was more like a grift I suppose.
  • I had two people try to mug me but got away. My father shot me in the leg if that helps?
  • Amp said:

My father shot me in the leg if that helps?

wat
  • MATATAT said:

Anyone here ever been mugged? Someone started a thread about this on GB and it is kinda interesting to me.

I sorta have once but they didn't actually take any of my stuff. It was more like a grift I suppose.

I was robbed at gunpoint once. They only got two dollars though.
  • MATATAT said:

Amp said:

My father shot me in the leg if that helps?

wat
    We were shooting crows with air rifles and I jumped out into his line of sight and he shot me in the leg. It wasn't that bad, a pair or needle nose pliers sorted the worst of it out.
  • Air rifles don't count!