This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Go to the gym?
  • What do people do for exercise during the winter months? I want to try and be healthy, but it hurt real bad to try and pick up running again last week in the cold. I was coughing for over 2 hours after that.

Have lots of sex.
  • What do people do for exercise during the winter months? I want to try and be healthy, but it hurt real bad to try and pick up running again last week in the cold. I was coughing for over 2 hours after that.

I run outside unless is SERIOUSLY cold. As long as it's above ~30F, it's fine.

If it's too cold (or for you if your lungs are intolerant of the cold), I run in a treadmill several times a week. On the days I don't run on the treadmill, I rock climb.

I do a bunch of pushups every morning.

I use grip strength trainers every day.

I do a few pullups every day when I get home from work.

I ski every weekend that I can.

• Oh, and every other week or so I use an exercise bike for a while to keep the bike muscles ready for spring.
  • What do people do for exercise during the winter months?

Shoveling snow.

Shoveling snow.
    Truefax.

You should drive sled up to Boston and help them dig out.

• How does the Facebook people you may know algorithm work? Are they accessing my google searches? GPS data? WTF?

They gave me suggestions for people I went on one date with four years ago, aliases of people I hope to never see again, my kid's therapist from three years ago.

This feature is downright creepy.
  • edited February 2015
    I figured it went through a sort of linking process similar to LinkedIn. Someone who you are friends with may have some common affiliation with them either through friends, workplace, or school.

Or possibly an affiliation of an affiliation, where you might share a workplace with someone who shared a school, etc.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • So if Wolverine has got an adamantium skeleton how to the nerves and stuff get out?
  • edited February 2015
    Amp said:

So if Wolverine has got an adamantium skeleton how to the nerves and stuff get out?

Same way they do for everyone else. Bones have holes in them and nerves branch out at the connections between the bones.

I'd imagine he'd reck his cartilage and pinch a nerve really quick without the regeneration.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • LinkedIn recommends Dave Riley to me all the time. I don't know how it formed the connection, unless it somehow knows I follow the podcast or something. It's kinda scary.
  • He's probably connected to other members of the FRCF that you're connected to.
  • I've never had Dave, but it does keep recommending me a shitload of webcomic people - Jeph Jaques, Randy Cassingham, Howard Taylor, etc. Also, one person I went to flight attendant training with, but only the one, every time. Who, oddly enough, moved back to Japan and became some sort of research scientist.
  • Does anyone use a foot rest with their office or task chair, if so do you have any recommendations.
    So far on Amazon I've found -
    Safco Foot Cushion
    and
    Kensington Solemate

It seems kind of silly but I need one because my table's height is too high and not adjustable.
    I also can't be bothered with adding a mouse and keyboard drawer.
  • I use my subwoofer. Not really a proper footrest I suppose but having a legit one would be nice.
  • MATATAT said:

I use my subwoofer. Not really a proper footrest I suppose but having a legit one would be nice.

Yeah I tried that but my subwoofer is too high for my purpose which is kind of why I was looking for something more appropriate.

Shoveling snow.
    Truefax.

You should drive sled up to Boston and help them dig out.

I live in the Boston suburbs, basically, so no need. :P
  • He's probably connected to other members of the FRCF that you're connected to.

The thing is, I don't really use LinkedIn and only have 6 connections. One of those is FRCF, and I think I was getting the suggestions before I added him anyways.
  • Ikatono said:

He's probably connected to other members of the FRCF that you're connected to.

The thing is, I don't really use LinkedIn and only have 6 connections. One of those is FRCF, and I think I was getting the suggestions before I added him anyways.
    Facebook straight up stalks anyone who is logged in, and might even be able to trace where you've been even without you being logged in. It's entirely possible Facebook has made those connections because it traced some kind of communication between him and those people.

This is why I no longer have Facebook.
  • So a family friend is holding a massive party for her kid's first birthday (friends, family booze, presents).
    I'm not a parent but I think it's a stupid idea.
    I would just have a get together with the family for photos if anything.

Is this kind of practice normal everywhere else?
  • Just moved to northernish New Jersey following work. Anyone else in the area? Particularly anyone that plays board games? I know a number of folks here are in NYC, but getting into the city takes a bit of time where I'm at.
  • We the people of PA would help but again that might be a long trek for you.
  • sK0pe said:

So a family friend is holding a massive party for her kid's first birthday (friends, family booze, presents).
    I'm not a parent but I think it's a stupid idea.
    I would just have a get together with the family for photos if anything.

Is this kind of practice normal everywhere else?

I've heard that in some cultures the first birthday is important because the first year of life has the highest chance of death, but more likely they just want to party. A baby can be very stressful on it's parents and their relationship so you shouldn't judge them too much for blowing off steam.
  • So it looks like I'll be able to shell out for a good mouse and keyboard sooner than expected. I know the Happy Hacking keyboard is a favorite of some folks here, but are there any other good ones? How about mice?
  • Random question:

How the hack do you learn computer programming without feeling so annoyed? Unfortunately, I have to learn C for my engineering undergrad, and I somehow dislike programming even though my math skills are solid.
  • Hethalos said:

Random question:

How the hack do you learn computer programming without feeling so annoyed? Unfortunately, I have to learn C for my engineering undergrad, and I somehow dislike programming even though my math skills are solid.

You have to have a goal. Also math and CS are not really as linked as everyone seems to say they are, at least not at the level that you are probably at.
  • Hethalos said:

Random question:

Learn it from the bottom up. Just about everyone learns programming by "learning language X" which is the worst possible approach. There is no understanding whatsoever for what is actually happening. If you start by learning about transistors and electricity, and work your way up, you will understand all.
  • Programming and math don't really go hand in hand. It's more the theoretical side of computer science that applies mathematical concepts. You can write many, many programs without any understanding of mathematics (well you'll probably need to at least know how to count).

What is annoying you exactly?
  • MATATAT said:

Programming and math don't really go hand in hand. … You can write many, many programs without any understanding of mathematics

That's a very narrow view of mathematics.
  • edited February 2015
    Well, you certainly need to understand logic. But logic can apply to other disciplines. If you really want to nitpick you can apply mathematics to every facet of life. What he's referring to is traditional mathematics, so that is what I was referring to.

There's other mathematical concepts you can apply, like recursion, and in reality everything comes down to adding and multiplying bits together. So really anything computer related automatically becomes simple math. But you can write many programs without really knowing any more than simple arithmetic.
    Post edited by MATATAT on