This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Hethalos said:

Random question:

How the hack do you learn computer programming without feeling so annoyed? Unfortunately, I have to learn C for my engineering undergrad, and I somehow dislike programming even though my math skills are solid.

You will need to elaborate on what is annoying.

Computer Science is problem solving not maths.

I personally get the same kick back from programming as playing problem solving games. Every time a line of code successfully runs and does what you want it is like getting an achievement popup.

How to not get annoyed - break up the program into the most simple portions till it can't be broken up any further, then start solving all the small problems.
    Collate the answers and you will have a full working computer program that you can then revise and check for efficiency or making it look cool or display it's results in an awesome manner.

If something doesn't work put a printf() command at all the parts where there are return values or you are messing with variables.

Having a purpose is really important. One of the simple Java assignments I did last year was essentially telling the story of the Doge meme in text, pictures and animations. The actual requirements of the assignment were to show the ability to access files, display their contents and a few other things. Most other people got stressed and annoyed because all they were trying to do was finish an assignment. While I set my goal to be an epic memer.
    functions to be filled in.
  • sK0pe said:

Conceptual models of functions often require math, which is a significant portion of actual computer science. In colleges they generally teach a combination of theory and practical knowledge. But computer science as a discipline isn't really related to programming in the conventional sense.

• MATATAT said:

sK0pe said:

Conceptual models of functions often require math, which is a significant portion of actual computer science. In colleges they generally teach a combination of theory and practical knowledge. But computer science as a discipline isn't really related to programming in the conventional sense.

Yeah but it's basic high school maths nothing you shouldn't already know by the time you hit University.

Plenty of the people I see who have a great understanding of programming aren't doing advanced maths unless they are doing Electrical Engineering.

• sK0pe said:

MATATAT said:

sK0pe said:

Yeah but it's basic high school maths nothing you shouldn't already know by the time you hit University.

Plenty of the people I see who have a great understanding of programming aren't doing advanced maths unless they are doing Electrical Engineering.

I'll put it this way, to understand computers at the level Scott mentioned at minimum requires a physical understanding of electricity and magnetism which itself requires a year or two of calculus.
  • edited February 2015
    MATATAT said:

sK0pe said:

MATATAT said:

sK0pe said:

I'll put it this way, to understand computers at the level Scott mentioned at minimum requires a physical understanding of electricity and magnetism which itself requires a year or two of calculus.
    You can conceptually understand what a transistor does and basic electronic circuits and logic without calculus. I did that shit in elementary school.

You only need to know advanced maths for programming if you are going to program something fancy that requires advanced maths.

Graphics rendering requires fancy math. Physics engines obviously require all the math of physics. Software for something like a radar system or even power steering in a car requires advanced math.

Programming a web site, a video game without fancy graphics or physics, a word processor, a not-fancy robot, a music player, a mobile apply, and most every day things, requires nothing beyond algebra and discrete math.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

Hethalos said:

Random question:

How the hack do you learn computer programming without feeling so annoyed? Unfortunately, I have to learn C for my engineering undergrad, and I somehow dislike programming even though my math skills are solid.

Learn it from the bottom up. Just about everyone learns programming by "learning language X" which is the worst possible approach. There is no understanding whatsoever for what is actually happening. If you start by learning about transistors and electricity, and work your way up, you will understand all.
    Cool. Where can I begin? Some introductory textbook about electricity, particularly electronic circuits?
  • Hethalos said:

Apreche said:

Hethalos said:

Random question:

Learn it from the bottom up. Just about everyone learns programming by "learning language X" which is the worst possible approach. There is no understanding whatsoever for what is actually happening. If you start by learning about transistors and electricity, and work your way up, you will understand all.
    Cool. Where can I begin? Some introductory textbook about electricity, particularly electronic circuits?
    I actually don't know the best book since I learned all of it in schools. I'm sure there are plenty to choose from. Maybe there's a free online course somewhere?
  • You could probably get away with logic circuits and up, skipping the low level electricity.

AND/OR/XOR/XNOR, etc...
  • Rym said:

You could probably get away with logic circuits and up, skipping the low level electricity.

AND/OR/XOR/XNOR, etc...

You can do everything with just NAND.
  • RymRym
    edited February 2015
    Apreche said:

AND/OR/XOR/XNOR, etc...You can do everything with just NAND.

NOR works too.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym said:

Apreche said:

NOR works too.

Except I'm pretty sure that NAND requires fewer transistors to make.

Interesting enough, you can make anything with just NAND, and anything with just NOR. That means you can also make NAND with a bunch of NOR and NOR with bunch of NAND!
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

Apreche said:

NOR works too.

Except I'm pretty sure that NAND requires fewer transistors to make.
    I'm pretty sure this is true also, so they're generally cheaper.

• Also, is it one-hundred percent okay on FRC to hold "irrational" or unjustifiable beliefs so long as I don't impose them on others? From what I've seen, there are some knee-jerk reactions towards certain ideas, especially towards religion and anything connected with the supernatural.
  • I mean, nobody's gonna ban you for your beliefs. It's not a set up for a particularly friendly thread, tho. Expect a lot of resistance and challenges.
  • Hethalos said:

Also, is it one-hundred percent okay on FRC to hold "irrational" or unjustifiable beliefs so long as I don't impose them on others? From what I've seen, there are some knee-jerk reactions towards certain ideas, especially towards religion and anything connected with the supernatural.

Provide evidence of any of those things and they'll gladly be discussed.

• edited February 2015
    Greg said:

I mean, nobody's gonna ban you for your beliefs. It's not a set up for a particularly friendly thread, tho. Expect a lot of resistance and challenges.

In that case, I shall refrain from mentioning such things. Sounds like merely mentioning the subject is like plastering "Kick Me" signs all over yourself...

Post edited by Hethalos on
  • Rym said:

Hethalos said:

Also, is it one-hundred percent okay on FRC to hold "irrational" or unjustifiable beliefs so long as I don't impose them on others? From what I've seen, there are some knee-jerk reactions towards certain ideas, especially towards religion and anything connected with the supernatural.

Provide evidence of any of those things and they'll gladly be discussed.
    Okay.
  • Hell, there was even a Gamergate chap that swung by and tried to argue it out, and even he was handled with kid gloves at first. It wasn't until quite a few posts in that he found out that they were made from real kids.
  • Isn't he still around? I think I see him post on other parts of the forum on occasion.
  • Banta said:

Isn't he still around? I think I see him post on other parts of the forum on occasion.

Not that I think I've seen, but I'm not entirely sure.

• Yeah, he pretty much ran after he realized he was in unsympathetic company here.
  • Yeah, he pretty much ran after he realized he was in unsympathetic sane company here.

• I think we tried to engage on the journalism side of gamergate but no clear examples were ever provided to discuss. It was all conspiracy or hypotheticals so he left.

The forum will pretty much discuss anything but we tend heavily towards the scientific model rather than the philosophical model of discussion.
  • Was that me? If so then I'm still around just ben a bit busy. Then again wasn't massive in posting to begin with. Also for the thousandth time, I don't support gamer gate I literally asked a couple of questions trying to find out what the deal was and was promptly ripped a new one.
  • There was someone before you Amp.
  • Someone worse than me?
  • edited February 2015
    Amp said:

Someone worse than me?

I wouldn't say you were bad, so worse isn't really the right term - this guy was a new guy, came in pretty much like an envoy, except just to argue for the cause, didn't hang around after he got mulched.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

Amp said:

Someone worse than me?

I wouldn't say you were bad, so worse isn't really the right term - this guy was a new guy, came in pretty much like an envoy, except just to argue for the cause, didn't hang around after he got mulched.

Strange. I'd love to see the water course of how people find a place only to argue.
  • What was that airline you all always recommend?
  • What was that airline you all always recommend?

JetBlue.

They basically only fly to and from New York though.