This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• I desperately want to see the film Kani Goalkeeper, which was released in Japan in 2006 and is now out of print. I can't find it anywhere for sale. It doesn't seem to be torrented anywhere (or at least, not seeded at any time I've looked).

I looked for contact information for the director (Minoru Kawasaki) and for the distributor (BBMC Japan) to no avail.

Anybody got suggestions for how to find this film?

• Scott's probably the best person to answer this, but I'll put it here in case anyone else has input.

How "good" is the built-in mini-webserver in Django? I know the docs say you don't want to use it in production, but I'm assuming that by "production" they mean a real website with multiple users and such. I'm thinking about using it for a pet project that will effectively be only single-user and running on the same host as said user, so I don't need scalability, etc. Essentially, I'd be using Django/SQLite/etc. as an alternative to MS Access/LibreOffice Base, etc. in scenarios where I don't want to deal with the overhead of having to install Apache, MySQL, and so on (and where I can keep all the relevant files, databases, and such in one directory that can be copied across machines -- I need offline access to the data, so I can't just put it on a webserver somewhere).

My gut tells me it'll be fine, but input from folks with more experience with it would be appreciated.
  • Scott's probably the best person to answer this, but I'll put it here in case anyone else has input.

How "good" is the built-in mini-webserver in Django? I know the docs say you don't want to use it in production, but I'm assuming that by "production" they mean a real website with multiple users and such. I'm thinking about using it for a pet project that will effectively be only single-user and running on the same host as said user, so I don't need scalability, etc. Essentially, I'd be using Django/SQLite/etc. as an alternative to MS Access/LibreOffice Base, etc. in scenarios where I don't want to deal with the overhead of having to install Apache, MySQL, and so on (and where I can keep all the relevant files, databases, and such in one directory that can be copied across machines -- I need offline access to the data, so I can't just put it on a webserver somewhere).

My gut tells me it'll be fine, but input from folks with more experience with it would be appreciated.
    NOOOOO. The webserver built into django is for development purposes ONLY. It only exists so that you can develop a django site on your local machine without setting up a real webserver. If you are actually USING the site instead of developing it, you want to use gunicorn. Since it's only single user same host this is just as easy as using the dev server. Once you install gunicorn you just manage.py gunicorn instead of runserver. In real production you want to put some nginx in front of that gunicorn.
  • edited May 2012
    NOOOOO. The webserver built into django is for development purposes ONLY. It only exists so that you can develop a django site on your local machine without setting up a real webserver. If you are actually USING the site instead of developing it, you want to use gunicorn. Since it's only single user same host this is just as easy as using the dev server. Once you install gunicorn you just manage.py gunicorn instead of runserver. In real production you want to put some nginx in front of that gunicorn.
    Exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks! I'll check out gunicorn as it sounds perfect for my purposes. I assume by "real production" you mean the standard multi-user public website situation, right?
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • NOOOOO. The webserver built into django is for development purposes ONLY. It only exists so that you can develop a django site on your local machine without setting up a real webserver. If you are actually USING the site instead of developing it, you want to use gunicorn. Since it's only single user same host this is just as easy as using the dev server. Once you install gunicorn you just manage.py gunicorn instead of runserver. In real production you want to put some nginx in front of that gunicorn.
    Exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks! I'll check out gunicorn as it sounds perfect for my purposes. I assume by "real production" you mean the standard multi-user public website situation, right?
    Yeah, the standard pattern is to have the nginx serve the static files directly and proxy any dynamic urls to the gunicorn.
  • Just started looking at apartments. Crazy-nice, newly renovated, completely gutted 3 BR 2 Bathroom for $2775 (split among four people)... in Crown Heights. It's right near the subway and the park, it's comes with basic amenities, washer, dryer, 2 sinks, microwave, and air conditioning, all brand new... but in Crown Heights...

Super conflicted right now. In some ways, it seems too good to be true, in others it seems suspicious. Anyone have any advice/warnings about the area?
  • What is a good defensive knife in lieu of a gun until I can get my ccw?
  • edited May 2012
    What is a good defensive knife in lieu of a gun until I can get my ccw?
    Why do you need a defensive knife? You shouldn't need a defensive knife. Or any dedicated close-combat weapon, for that matter.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited May 2012
    What is a good defensive knife in lieu of a gun until I can get my ccw?
    This question could be better phrased as "What's the best knife to have wrested from me and buried into my ribs," and here's why.

Seriously, unless you are a master of a martial art with integrated knife fighting skills and you are attacking people less skilled than you to begin with (doubtful), you should never carry a knife with even the notion of drawing it on another person. And even if you did meet those standards, the answer would be "a military combat knife," which you can't legally carry in most cities, and it's still doubtful that it's a good idea.

A further note: Most guys that are going to start shit with you and aren't committing a felony offense like robbery aren't going to draw arms--pulling a knife or a gun on someone immediately escalates any violence you commit to assault with a deadly weapon. If you want to feel safe in the city, keep your money in a money clip inside your jacket, and carry a decoy wallet with a school/work ID and a couple of $20 bills; that's usually enough to keep a petty thief off your back. For fights, take up a martial art, keep your keys on a carabiner, and wrap it around your fist if you get in a bust-up. That way, you get in good enough shape to intimidate any lads who might think they can take you, and if you do have to get violent, you're not liable for a felony.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Just started looking at apartments. Crazy-nice, newly renovated, completely gutted 3 BR 2 Bathroom for $2775 (split among four people)... in Crown Heights. It's right near the subway and the park, it's comes with basic amenities, washer, dryer, 2 sinks, microwave, and air conditioning, all brand new... but in Crown Heights...

Super conflicted right now. In some ways, it seems too good to be true, in others it seems suspicious. Anyone have any advice/warnings about the area?
    It's Crown Heights.
  • edited May 2012
    Just started looking at apartments. Crazy-nice, newly renovated, completely gutted 3 BR 2 Bathroom for $2775 (split among four people)... in Crown Heights. It's right near the subway and the park, it's comes with basic amenities, washer, dryer, 2 sinks, microwave, and air conditioning, all brand new... but in Crown Heights...

Rule Number 1 about living in New York: DO NOT LIVE IN CROWN HEIGHTS.

Crown Heights is only rivaled by some parts of Baltimore in terms of neighborhood shittiness. Seriously. Go live in West Oakland, you're less likely to get shot.

(Also, that's really expensive for Crown Heights.)
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Just buy pepper spray or carry a mini maglite or something Non-lethal for now. At least you can't get murdered with your own weapon that way. Or move.
  • Really it's just my paranoia, the parts of Louisville I frequent are low on crime. Honestly I'm more likely to be struck by a vehicle than be mugged.
  • Or just use nothing because you are going to college in upstate New York, not inner city Detroit.
  • Or just use nothing because you are going to college in upstate New York, not inner city Detroit.
    I still maintain this is just part of his cunning plan. I keep telling you, Rym, you're too trusting, man. OPEN YOUR EYES, SHEEPLE.
  • Why do password safety evaluators on registration forms seem to work by recognizing the number of characters and presence of numbers and symbols instead of calculating informational entropy?
  • People are lazy at programming things like that?
  • edited May 2012
    Most people who write authentication systems don't really understand authentication. Also, it's often IT guys and not CS guys configuring those sorts of things.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Can we adapt the UN charter so that violators of Randall Monroe's laws of password security can be persecuted with 2 years in prison upwards, regardless of where in the world you are?
  • Why do password safety evaluators on registration forms seem to work by recognizing the number of characters and presence of numbers and symbols instead of calculating informational entropy?
    After reading your comment, I went on a brief quest to find a password quality checker that works a little more ideally. I found one that looks pretty good, zxcvbn.

http://tech.dropbox.com/?p=165
    https://github.com/lowe/zxcvbn

It looks like there's one disadvantage to using zxcvbn - The JS file is 700k, largely due to the fact that it includes a password dictionary. The author recommends using another script to download it asynchronously, so the user won't notice how huge the JS file is, which should mitigate the problem somewhat. Regardless, there's the answer to your question, WuB - It's a not an easy problem to solve, and solving it in a Web-friendly way is even harder.
  • edited May 2012
    Corollary question: does anyone know how LastPass works? I'm considering migrating to LP from SuperGenPass, but I don't like the idea of storing all my passwords on someone else's server, regardless of encryption.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I use lastpass, I'm quite pleased with it. I actually specifically wanted to store my shit on someone else's server because if I'm going to generate random passwords I want to be extra sure they'll never be lost.
  • I do not trust anything where my passwords are on someone else's server. Hey stranger on the street. How about I give you a copy of my social security card, just in case I lose it!

I use supergenpass, but mostly try to use password card. I also use multi-factor authentication whenever possible.
  • I want to use something like Lastpass, but I don't want to end up in a situation where I can't access my account because I can't use that service on a certain device.
  • PasswordCard is the print/wallet solution, right? I might try that.

I only really want to replace SGP because the Chrome extension's auto fill-in was broken with the latest update, and it shits the bed in scripted pseudo-popup frames (like when logging into Disqus via BoingBoing). Otherwise, it works pretty well. I'm enabling multi-factor when I get home for my Google Account.
  • Who the fuck uses the toilet as an instant bucket to mop the bathroom floor!? If you say yes, that is not a good thing to do!
  • Yeah, SGP also has a security vulnerability. If you use the JavaScript version then someone can theoretically steal your master password. Since the site you are currently on has access to the DOM via JS, any site you visit can write an SGP-specific attack. It would be something like this:

when(someone types in a form that looks like the SGP form, function(){
    $.post(to me whatever they typed);
    });

That is why I only use SGP on very trustworthy sites that won't be making this attack, such as Google, or on sites too dumb to try that sort of thing. I'll also use different master passwords for the dumb sites.
  • I want to use something like Lastpass, but I don't want to end up in a situation where I can't access my account because I can't use that service on a certain device.
    The only really annoying thing about lastpass is that their site seems to be purposely difficult to use when on a mobile device, otherwise, it'd be golden. Though, lack of incentive to create a mobile site is understandable, since using their app is one of the benefits of paying for the service.
  • Who the fuck uses the toilet as an instant bucket to mop the bathroom floor!? If you say yes, that is not a good thing to do!
    Wouldn't that be entirely dependant on what type of soap and mop you were using and how well you rinsed your toilet/bucket?
  • edited May 2012
    Who the fuck uses the toilet as an instant bucket to mop the bathroom floor!? If you say yes, that is not a good thing to do!
    If I say no, is it a good thing to do?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on