This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The guy in the next cube screams in farsi all day: Workplace Stories

edited February 2011 in Everything Else
I work for the National Dosimetery Registry of Canada, which is a branch of Health Canada. Among a variety of things we handle public inquiries about radon in areas and in the home and collect, measure and log data from dosimeter badges (which you may have seen in such television shows as HOUSE!).

It's even less glamorous than it sounds but I like it. I get to hear a lot of interesting stuff. This morning the guy across from me had a patient-but-barely-contained argument with someone from the public who was clearly a tinfoil paranoid about radon. The guy on the other end was clearly agitated and interrupting a lot and was generally freaked out about his house having radon in addition to being completely misinformed.

The same coworker also has long excited conversations in what I'm guessing is farsi, which is always fun to listen to and wonder what's being said.

Seeing as this forum probably has a good share of young professionals, I'm sure there are no end to the funny/shocking/disgusting/enraging/relatable tales.

I'm sure Rym & Scott alone could fill this thread since they love to bitch about work so much.

Comments

• I'm sure Rym & Scott alone could fill this thread since they love to bitch about work so much.
    Allow me to tell every work story.

Other people are technologically incompetent, so they fail. The end.
  • Such is the refrain of all IT nerds and their cloud of nerd rage.
  • The shocking amount of abuse dealt out towards teachers and staff in my school could fill a book. Foul language, threats, physical altercations, vulgar sexual language and behavior, disruptive behavior, violence. It's sort of like a bad reality show only we get paid shit to get abused.
  • I made a teacher cry once. But she pretty much deserved it. It was 10th grade. We were reading Beowulf. She brought in buckets and whistles and stuff and told us to make music that would be the sound of Grendel coming, I asked her if we were 5 and said a bunch of other stuff. She cried and left after that year to go teach elementary school.
  • The shocking amount of abuse dealt out towards teachers and staff in my school could fill a book. Foul language, threats, physical altercations, vulgar sexual language and behavior, disruptive behavior, violence. It's sort of like a bad reality show only we get paid shit to get abused.
    If you have tenure I can't be that sympathetic towards you.
  • I'm sure Rym & Scott alone could fill this thread since they love to bitch about work so much.
    Allow me to tell every work story.

No levels of hilarious fail?
  • edited February 2011
    The shocking amount of abuse dealt out towards teachers and staff in my school could fill a book. Foul language, threats, physical altercations, vulgar sexual language and behavior, disruptive behavior, violence. It's sort of like a bad reality show only we get paid shit to get abused.
    If you have tenure I can't be that sympathetic towards you.
    Tenure? Hahahahahahaha! There is no tenure here. This school is a state-run 'private school' for students who have no other school to go to. This is due to social/emotional disorders, behavior problems, drug use or other reasons. There is no pension here. There is no tenure. There is only Zuul.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Surely there are some benefits of being able to play by your own rules though.
    From the students or the parents?
  • Sorry to disappoint the thread, but I work with competent people. And even if there were bad stories to tell, I wouldn't remember any of them because shit like that is just not worth remembering.
  • Thanks for that useful post!
  • I work with a bunch of socially retarded scientists. Oh the stories I have.

I have a coworker who color-codes his emails to his girlfriend because, and I'm quoting here: "She talks about so many different things in one email that I can't keep track of all of it. So I asked her to color-code the paragraph according to the topic we're discussing."
  • How dare you generalize and say scientists are socially retarded.
  • edited February 2011
    How dare you generalize and say scientists are socially retarded.
    See, I'm only talking about the socially retarded ones specifically. I'm sure there are non-socially-retarded scientists somewhere.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I wouldn't trust a scientist with great social skills because it means he didn't shun friends in favor of studying, which means he's not the best scientist.
  • Scientists are fucking liars.
  • edited February 2011
    Scientists are not fucking liars. Specifically, they do not fuck.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
    Are we gettin' you pissed?
  • Shaggy 2 Dope doesn't want to hear from no scientist. They're always lying and making him pissed.
  • Mangets are miracles yo.
    I disagree. Not all scientists are fucking liars. In fact most aren't. They are members of one of the few professions that has empirical truth as one of it's values. There are however, examples that confirm your premise. I'm looking at you Creation Scientists.
  • Hey man we gotta teach both sides of the story and let the kids decide.
  • Hey man we gotta teach both sides of the story and let the kids decide.
    Hey man, there are more than two sides of this story, what about the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
  • Allow me to tell every work story.

Allow me to tell every story about interactions with their IT guy.

They are unable to distinguish what matters to them from what matters to anyone else.
  • Gravity is a lie. I believe in Intelligent falling.
  • Okay let's not all start sucking eachother's intellectual dicks here.

Stay on topic.
  • Stay on topic.
  • But its sooo big
  • Rym just can't resist the prospect of a smarmy skeptic circle jerk.
  • Not all scientists are fucking liars.
    Hint: he's referencing the ICP song "Miracles."