This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The guy in the next cube screams in farsi all day: Workplace Stories

Comments

• My boss asks me at least twice a day to convert military time for her. She apparently cannot subtract.
  • Hint: he's referencing the ICP song "Miracles."
    Pete, I am autistic not retarded, just because I get social cues doesn't mean I don't get references to internet memes. Quite the opposite in fact, as a result of my autism I am quite introverted. So, I spend a lot of time on my computer, I practically live on the internet. You don't have to hint like I am some kind of child.
  • edited February 2011
    Pretty sure his reasons for saying that have a lot less to do with any condition you might have and a lot more to do with you seemingly not "getting" the joke. It's not like you're the first person ever around here to, wrongly or not, be called out for not catching a reference.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Pretty sure his reasons for saying that have a lot less to do with any condition you might have and a lot more to do with you seemingly not "getting" the joke. It's not like you're the first person ever around here to, wrongly or not, be called out for not catching a reference.
    Don't I know it. 'People are judged for their actions, they judge themselves by their intentions.' I guess I am too serious for this thread.
  • Pete, I am autistic not retarded, just because I get social cues doesn't mean I don't get references to internet memes.
    I'm thoroughly aware of the difference. Your follow-up just appeared to be an example of not getting the joke, so I explained it. That's basically what I do in all walks of life.
  • I'm thoroughly aware of the difference. Your follow-up just appeared to be an example of not getting the joke, so I explained it. That's basically what I do in all walks of life.
    Not getting the joke is my joke. It is more humorous at some times than others.
  • Not getting the joke is my joke.
    That, sir, is some dry humor.

A coworker once cooked a sample of ground beef and ate it. While at the bench. Using lab equipment.
  • That, sir, is some dry humor.
    The driest. In my experience not getting the joke can sometimes elicit more laughs than the joke itself.
    A coworker once cooked a sample of ground beef and ate it. While at the bench. Using lab equipment.
    Wait, isn't that kind of dangerous?
  • edited February 2011
    Wait, isn't that kind of dangerous?
    Amazingly so. But this guy was not noted for his common sense or sense of self-preservation.

Also, scientists are sometimes crazy. People used to smoke at the bench. Lay their butts down on the goddamn bench. And think about the fact that we have to teach people about mouth pipetting.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Amazingly so. But this guy was not noted for his common sense or sense of self-preservation.

Also, scientists are sometimes crazy. People used tosmokeat the bench. Lay their butts downon the goddamn bench. And think about the fact that we have to teach people about mouth pipetting.
    I took chemistry lab once more than two years ago and I know you don't fucking ingest anything that could have remotely been contaminated. These people have been trained to the task of working in a lab. I'm not sure if I can trust them to test my food for safety.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm not sure if I can trust them to test my food for safety.
    He also doesn't work here any more. FYI. The rest of us know better.
    These people have been trained to the task of working in a lab.
    Yeah, you'd also think that scientists wouldn't believe in pseudo-science bullshit either. That's just not the case. The risks I've seen people take are nothing short of heart-stopping.

Used to have a woman who would do methylene chloride extractions, without using gloves. She'd get the stuff all over herself. Later, she died of lung cancer, having no risk factors other than working in a lab.

Another coworker once threatened to blow up the building and had to be physically removed from the premises. Hard mode: he came back to work 4 months later. Civil service mode: he came back with a promotion.
  • Another coworker once threatened to blow up the building and had to be physically removed from the premises. Hard mode: he came back to work 4 months later. Civil service mode: he came backwith a promotion.
    FUCKING WHAT
  • FUCKING WHAT
    To his credit, it was a half-hearted threat made because he was off his meds.

This is why I drink.
  • edited February 2011
    People used to smoke at the bench. Lay their butts down on the goddamn bench.
    There are certain professions where it is allowable, nay, expected that you smoke. Newspaperman, Private Eye, Lady of the Night. Food scientist is not one of them.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Newspaperman
    There is only two professions I've encountered where it seems that smoking is significantly more likely - hospitality, and Journalism.
  • Food Service industry. Smoke like feinds.
  • edited February 2011
    Food Service industry. Smoke like feinds.
    hospitality
    Same difference, but shit yeah. Hell, I started smoking only after I started doing hospitality work - when you're on your feet for 12 hours at a time, and your boss takes smoke breaks, what better way to scam a quick, paid, 5 minute chance to sit down? And nobody complains, because goddamn near everyone is doing it.

Shit, it's not even uncommon for people who don't really smoke to just stage-smoke a cigarette here and there, just to get a quick moment to themselves.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Yeah. Most office politics are resolved by taking a smoke break with your boss. Just sayin'.
  • Sometimes when the boss says, "Hey, want to go get a tea?", it's code for "I want to talk to you outside the hearing of everyone else."

Sometimes a tea is just a tea. My office drinks a lot of tea.

It's confusing.
  • Yeah, you'd also think that scientists wouldn't believe in pseudo-science bullshit either. That's just not the case. The risks I've seen people take are nothing short of heart-stopping.
    Ever seen someone handle ethidium bromide gels without gloving up? I haven't seen it, but I've heard stories like that. Maybe not with EtBr, but with similar halogens.
    Newspaperman
    There is only two professions I've encountered where it seems that smoking is significantly more likely - hospitality, and Journalism.
    I know a lot of physicians who smoke. Most of them surgeons. MANY of those, trauma surgeons. Probably has something to due with the relatively high rate of little kids with gunshot or stab wounds they see.
  • edited February 2011
    Sometimes when the boss says, "Hey, want to go get a tea?", it's code for "I want to talk to you outside the hearing of everyone else."

Sometimes a tea is just a tea. My office drinks a lot of tea.

It's confusing.
    "Tea and Biccies/biscuts with the boss" is a euphamisim down here for having an unplesant chat with the boss, generally of the Diciplinary or "You're fired" variety.
    I know a lot of physicians who smoke. Most of them surgeons. MANY of those, trauma surgeons. Probably has something to due with the relatively high rate of little kids with gunshot or stab wounds they see.
    I can't say - I don't know that many full-fleged docs who smoke, and I know zero trauma surgeons, but a lot of med students that I know certainly do. Curiously, most of them seem to smoke eights, AKA, lights or Golds(Down here, after they banned cig makers from putting the milligrams of nicotine on the packet, they simply switched to an "unoffical" colour coding system - 90% of brands will have Red packaging(or a red design on the packet) for 16 Miligram, Blue for twelve, Gold or yellow for Eights, and so on - thus, Eights/lights = Golds, for example, Winfield(Winnie) Gold.)
    Though, some break from this tradition - for example, Horizon 16s are purple, rather than red. I don't know why.
    White Ox comes in exactly one strength, which is "I don't care if you smoke two packs a day, this will knock you on your ass" - about 20 or 25 milligram, I'm not entirely sure, but it's rolling tobacco, so your results may vary. Either way, it tastes like shit.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Coworker at Steak N Shake came in high one day. No manager noticed. He was hilarious the whole time. Fortunately he just washed dishes.
  • This reporter has never smoked, except for a cigar once. The day my kid is born, I plan to have another one.
  • Oh the stories I can tell about our fail-doc. Somehow he hasn't gotten fired or kicked out of the lab yet. It makes me cry that when I graduate I will have the same degree as him.
  • Oh the stories I can tell about our fail-doc. Somehow he hasn't gotten fired or kicked out of the lab yet. It makes me cry that when I graduate I will have the same degree as him.
    This is why I didn't try hard. Stress free livin' is the way for me.
  • edited February 2011
    Coworker at Steak N Shake came in high one day. No manager noticed. He was hilarious the whole time. Fortunately he just washed dishes.
    Everyone at my job smokes, and most of them are high at any one time while on the job. The manager is high most of the time, the assistant manager is high like every waking second, to the point it disturbs me, and most of the drivers are high, because they can smoke on the road.

As an aside, every time my assistant manager takes a smoke break he sits in his car, rolls the window up, and smokes two cigarettes and two bowls, then he comes back in.

He does this in like 10 minutes.

wat
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • edited February 2011
    Oh the stories I can tell about our fail-doc.
    You have one of those too? I now technically outrank our fail-doc. I could be his supervisor.

EDIT: STORY TIME!

So, in civil service, you have to take exams in order to qualify for positions. You take a test and get put on a list according to the score you received on that test; high score goes at the top. There are two lists for every exam: promotional/transitional and open-competitive. The former list applies to people who are already civil servants, while the latter is to add people who are not yet in civil service.

Positions are offered to the top 3 scores in the promotional list first. So, high-scoring people already in the system get priority over everyone else. Once the promotional list is exhausted, they move to the open-competitive list.

Sometimes, you get appointed to a position without taking a test. This is called a "provisional" appointment. You need to take the appropriate test when it's offered and do well in order to keep that appointment.

So we recently had a big shakeup in the lab with the Senior Food Bacteriologist exam. Everyone who already had that position was provisional, as the test hadn't been offered for about 11 years. So now, everyone had to take it and do well enough to keep their current position.

The Ph.D. in the lab, who held that position, took the wrong test. He signed up for the open-competitive list. Everyone else in the lab correctly signed up for the promotional exam. We made all the appointments we needed from the promotional list, so we couldn't offer the Ph.D. his previous position. He was demoted because he took the wrong test.

Now, before anyone feels bad, this guy is a raging douche who thinks he's better than everyone else. He received numerous reminders about which test to take, and he ignored them all. He also blew off the test, saying that he didn't need it to keep his position.

So now I outrank him. Feels good, man.
  • as the test hadn't been offered for about 11 years
    I don't understand how something like this is only offered every 11 years. They should have a web site where any civil service exam can be taken at any time. If you have employees that request or need testing, you call a proctor (another civil servant) to watch you sit at computers and take the test. If the state will pay me mad money that they don't have, I will gladly build this testing system for them.
  • edited February 2011
    If the state will pay me mad money that they don't have, I will gladly build this testing system for them.
    They only offer the test when they need to fill positions. In this case, there are maybe 8 people in all of civil service who have my specific title.

It is a bit ridiculous, though.
  • The ladies in the office near mine are having the most totally uncomfortably personal conversation.