This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft Contest: Tertius (READ FOR UPDATE)

Comments

• Question...where is that thing pointed at?
    Hopefully nothing. I went out exploring a bit in that direction and it seems to just be forest then water, although I don't exactly know the range on this thing.
    Wherever things land, you should create a big flat target pad out of colored wool so it hits the bulls-eye.
  • You guys just got outdone.
  • 676 buckets of lava later...
    Next up: dig out a cavern underneath so my lava surface can serve as both a ceiling and a floor.
  • I have turned my attention toward building a massive dungeon. It will exist concurrent to Tertius but reside on a separate map, accessible through what I'll call the Adventure Portal. I will build the entrance in Tertius when the map is finished. This will be a Diablo-style RPG dungeon with mobs, traps, platforming, etc. Your party can take backpacks there and brave the dangers, but you won't be able to build there. It will also have some custom rules... TBD. I am excited to provide Tertiusites a place of danger and excitement to explore.

Those of you who remember the Obsidian Tower quest of Secondus... think that, but 100x bigger. It is already under construction.
  • edited May 2011
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Can someone make a portal gun and a portal adhesive block? That way we can make our own levels in Minecraft.
  • Can someone make a portal gun and a portal adhesive block? That way we can make our own levels in Minecraft.
    Yep! Download the mod here.
  • Oh, I'm soooo far behind in geek land.
  • Oh, I'm soooo far behind in geek land.
    S'alright, I only vaguely knew something existed because I'd seen a video of a portal remake in minecraft a few weeks ago, and figured they had to have SOME mod they used to do it, and went hunting.
  • edited May 2011
    Snickety-Snake, where did you manage to find 676 buckets of lava??

Suppose this is what I get for not logging for an entire month. I can see from the screenshots that some of my tunnel system, and the spiral staircase up through the mountain, have all been gutted to make room for that lava palace.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Has anyone checked out Terraria yet? It's being billed by some as basically 2D minecraft. It's 10 bucks now, or 29.99 for a four-pack on Steam.
  • Man, I'm way too busy for the rest of this month.

But once June comes around, I'll be back to building Miklagard.
  • Snickety-Snake, where did you manage to find 676 buckets of lava??
    Finding it wasn't the hard part, carrying it up from below was (although the /home command eased the process considerably). I found three lava deposits pretty close to one another, so supply wasn't an issue.
    I can see from the screenshots that some of my tunnel system, and the spiral staircase up through the mountain, have all been gutted to make room for that lava palace.
    I never came across a spiral staircase, although I did find some lava under what appeared to be a cavern that someone had explored.
  • Has anyone checked out Terraria yet? It's being billed by some as basically 2D minecraft. It's 10 bucks now, or 29.99 for a four-pack on Steam.
    I have. "2D Minecraft" isn't really accurate. The two are in completely different genres. The primary activity in minecraft is the building. I guess I'd say minecraft is a "building game". Terraria is more in the genre of Metroidvania. There are big blocky 2d platforming areas, with monsters, and weapons, and items, and stuff (no leveling, though, which is good). There just also happens to be a minor building/mining element to it.

You can, for instance, chop down trees and build houses to attract 4-5 different merchants, but the houses aren't terribly interesting or very customizable like minecraft. Instead of finding the special items and powers on bosses, you find materials that you then use to craft those items/powers. You have to dig to find dungeons and such.

I find it rather fun, but I'm not going to stop playing minecraft (I'm going to play both). I don't know why the two are compared so much. They aren't alike at all. But, hey, if you like the 2d Castlevania games, go for it.
    I have. "2D Minecraft" isn't really accurate. The two are in completely different genres. The primary activity in minecraft is the building. I guess I'd say minecraft is a "building game". Terraria is more in the genre of Metroidvania. There are big blocky 2d platforming areas, with monsters, and weapons, and items, and stuff (no leveling, though, which is good). There just also happens to be a minor building/mining element to it.

You can, for instance, chop down trees and build houses to attract 4-5 different merchants, but the houses aren't terribly interesting or very customizable like minecraft. Instead of finding the special items and powers on bosses, you find materials that you then use to craft those items/powers. You have to dig to find dungeons and such.

I find it rather fun, but I'm not going to stop playing minecraft (I'm going to play both). I don't know why the two are compared so much. They aren't alike at all. But, hey, if you like the 2d Castlevania games, go for it.
    When you exit the server or the single player, is all the stuff saved? or you have to start over every time?
  • When you exit the server or the single player, is all the stuff saved? or you have to start over every time?
    Stuff is saved and you can even use same character with all the same stuff in both multiplayer and singleplayer if you wish to do so.
  • Back after a month long hiatus, and some good progress has been made!

I grant you it seems a chunk vanished ( as described in previous posts by others) / was replaced with random material within my glass biome but I am OK with that for a few reasons.

a) if you leave things untended they decay, this happens in the real world so to complain about it is fail.
    b) it allowed snow into the biome. This is cool.
    c) my trees are stupid big and covered with snow. Also cool.
  • Notch has been working to create (and not liking the results) a sky-island dimension.
  • Those islands look really ugly!
    They look like they did before. The only difference I see now is that he put the cloud layer below the map instead of above.
    They look like they did before. The only difference I see now is that he put the cloud layer below the map instead of above.
    I'm with Luke. I think that's part of the problem. Nothing is different. I'm no artist so I don't have the solution but there should be something that makes them look distinct.
  • Oh, they're certainly ugly. They've always been like that. My point is that ALL HE SEEMS TO DO IS TRIVIAL USELESS CRAP LIKE PUTTING THE CLOUD LAYER ON THE BOTTOM.
  • edited May 2011
    Also: The acid is kicking in.
    Sadly, no-one has made an Inception fold video that does it justice.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited May 2011
    I should mention, New update - 1.6 - coming next week according to notch, and will mostly be Bug fixes, but will also include in-game maps(Unknown if it will work in multiplayer), The Nether finally working in SMP, and possibly Sky-land.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2011
    Re: Railplan @Keiy: The stairway to the right of the fountain (See picture.) leads down to some kind of train terminal with plenty of free space (How long did it take you to find all that iron?) which should be easy enough to link to the underground rail tunnel. I'm also thinking of recycling the above ground rail line tracks and just putting them down below. Are you ok with this?

@Everyone: Once the Central --> Sanriko leg is complete, are there any other places nearby that would want connecting up?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • @Omnutia
    It took however long it took me to type in the admin command.

But yeah you can link up your rail to that train station, just don't connect it to the internal Sirako rail lines. And you can take rail pieces from the old above ground line that went to spawn.
  • Central --> Sanriko has been laid and I'm now placing power boosters which will take a while to pace out properly. Also working on choosing a system that allows for three way junctions which allow entry from any side.