This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2011 Sendai earthquake and tsunami

edited March 2011 in Everything Else
Holy Fucking shit. Japan got hit by an 8.9 magnitude earthquake about two hours ago. AND THEN TWO TSUNAMIS. Holy fucking shit.

Comments

• This is looking really terrible.
  • Pacific Tsunami warning center lists off where they're issuing tsunami warnings for.

Okay, fuck, looking at that, it's pretty much everywhere on the pacific rim.

AlJaz English has live vision - Watch here

oh what the fuck I'm looking at burning wreckage being carried on a tsunami over god knows where.
  • edited March 2011
    Beat me to it. Were I not scrambling for info, I'd have been here sooner. I have friends in Japan right now so I can only hope they are ok. =/

*EDIT* Ok, CNN lied to me. No live feed from them.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • Woke up and saw this, now I'm almost sick. Trying to contact.
  • Power, mobile and internet are apparently out in some areas.
  • Looks like northern and central California have a Tsunami warning issued. Oregon as well. Southern Cali is on watch.
  • Oh god what the fuck.
  • The tsunami videos are crazy.

I'm also checking all of the sites to make sure all of my friends are ok. So far 2 are confirmed and 1 I'm still waiting to hear back from.
  • Just chatted with my friend who's in Tokio. He says that the news in here make it sound worse than it seems in there.
  • That's...Good?
    Still, watching the videos, it seems pretty insane.
  • Just chatted with my friend who's in Tokio. He says that the news in here make it sound worse than it seems in there.
    Well, after watching the mat Tokyo is relatively far away from the epicenter was.
    Still, it is terrible what happened. But, at least they are more prepared than the average county.
  • Terrible fucking thing :X
  • Who the fuck builds a nuclear power plant without an on site emergency backup electricity generator?

Apparently Japan does (the US does as well).
  • Maybe they were planning on using the remaining heat from the reactor to power the cooling pumps.

(For those who don't know, testing this theory caused the Chernobyl disaster.)
  • Within the last thirty minutes, there was another earthquake in Japan. This one is being measured at magnitude 6.6.
  • (For those who don't know, testing this theory caused the Chernobyl disaster.)
    Not quite - Testing it in a half-arsed, unsafe fashion caused it. If they'd have done it properly, there likely wouldn't have been a problem. On the downside, we wouldn't have the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games, but Acceptable losses.
  • Ohhhhh fuck. No power to scram the rods?
  • edited March 2011
    Just a note, guys: Chernobyl was (as Churba said) unsafe. It was unshielded at the core and lacked the standard US facility shielding, which is a sealed dome of reinforced concrete so thick that it cannot be penetrated by a crashing 747 and which has the capability to stop gamma radiation. Doors in and out of the dome are heavily leaded, too. Japan would be significantly behind the times if it did not maintain at least these standards; the worst case scenario is that workers get radiation poisoning while working to introduce neutron poisons into the reactor. That would be horrible, but I can say with reasonable certainty that even if the reactor goes down, we will not have a Japanese Pripyat.

This is all based on conversations about reactor safety that I've had with nuclear engineers (and one of the best professors in the field) on the topic.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • the worst case scenario is that workers get radiation poisoning while working to introduce neutron poisons into the reactor.
    The best case scenario is that they turn into the Hulk.
  • Chernobyl was (as Churba said) unsafe.
    Well, the test was unsafe, but as reactors go, it wasn't inherently unsafe in it's design, to the best of my knowledge - the Chernobyl disaster was arguably operator error over plant design - However, it's still a fort built of twigs compared to modern Reactors.
    we will not have a Japanese Pripyat.
    Fuck, as horrible as it sounds, that would make an awesome S.T.A.L.K.E.R game.
  • edited March 2011
    Chernobyl was (as Churba said) unsafe.
    Well, the test was unsafe, but as reactors go, it wasn't inherently unsafe in it's design, to the best of my knowledge - the Chernobyl disaster was arguably operator error over plant design - However, it's still a fort built of twigs compared to modern Reactors.
    The reactor wasn't unsafe, but the plant construction was. The Soviets constructed the plant without the bunkers the US was using and were advised to build one after the Cold War. They didn't, and when the engineers fucked up the test, it sent out that infamous plume of nuclear ash, which normally would have been caught by the bunker.
    Fuck, as horrible as it sounds, that would make an awesome S.T.A.L.K.E.R game.
    A friend just made that exact comment on Facebook. As horrible as it is, I can't say I disagree.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The reactor wasn't unsafe, but the plant construction was. The Soviets constructed the plant without the bunkers the US was using and were advised to build one after the Cold War. They didn't, and when the engineers fucked up the test, it sent out that infamous plume of nuclear ash, which normally would have been caught by the bunker.
    Oh, that makes sense. As much of a jack of all trades as I tend to be, nuclear reactor design isn't my strong suit.
  • The reactor wasn't unsafe, but the plant construction was. The Soviets constructed the plant without the bunkers the US was using and were advised to build one after the Cold War. They didn't, and when the engineers fucked up the test, it sent out that infamous plume of nuclear ash, which normally would have been caught by the bunker.
    Oh, that makes sense. As much of a jack of all trades as I tend to be, nuclear reactor design isn't my strong suit.
    Hell, I don't blame you. I only know this much because of a seminar I went to that was about majoring in nuclear engineering; part of it was on safety concerns and why most of them are overblown.
  • It seems my friends are safe, though I'm yet to get full confirmation. There's also a relative in Fukushima who I'm somewhat concerned for.
  • the worst case scenario is that workers get radiation poisoning while working to introduce neutron poisons into the reactor.
    The best case scenario is that they turn into the Hulk.
    When I took Atomic and Nuclear labs in undergrad, I would try to arrange "accidents" to see if anything like that would happen. I think the most I did was make myself sterile. In retrospect, that was probable a pretty good result.

That was back when all the superpowers were handed out because of radiation accidents. Now, I'm taking some part-time coursework in bio-stuff when the superpowers seem to be handed out due to biotech accidents. Coincidence?
  • World's first super hero appears as the result of a freak pastry incident in a culinary arts college. Curses.
  • Another friend checked in while I was sleeping, which was nice to wake up to. My host family isn't confirmed but we're assuming they're safe.